Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 PM

9,245 posts, read 24,049,594 times

Advertisements

I once harbored thoughts of leaving NYC.I even applied for and got a teaching job in a little paradise (Sag Harbor,LI). It was that close! Thank god I came to my senses at the last minute.
It's only 2 hours away and I would have made more money but in the end I just couldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM

82 posts, read 315,526 times
Default Not a good place to live

Here are some reasons NYC is at the bottom of my list of places to live.
  • It's a very inefficient city, you waste more time, more efforts, more money, and you get less than in most of other places in US. Traffic is terrible, it's even worse if you have to take public transportation. It stinks, both literary and figuratively. Public parking practically doesn't exist, underground garages are very tight and inconvenient. Are you used to drive through fast food or drive through banking? Forget about it.
  • A lot of this city is dirty and shabby. Dilapidated buildings, graffiti, dirty roads, potholes, homeless people can be found everywhere.
  • It's a very noisy city: noise on the streets, noise in the buildings, day and night. Even people renting very expensive apartments have to suffer that.
  • The weather is terrible. Like nowhere else, rain and snow frequently become an emergency. You can't drive, you can't walk, buses aren't running. People can't get to work. This winter even banks were closed on Manhattan. But even when the weather is nice, you won't see much sun anyway, because buildings are too tall and too close to each other. Winters are cold and wet, summers are hot and humid.
  • There are practically no biking and hiking trails, forget about biking after work, or during lunch time like we are used to in CA. There aren't any good parks for biking and hiking either. The best places are the beaches, though they are pretty dirty too.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:53 PM

169 posts, read 489,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
  • It's a very inefficient city, you waste more time, more efforts, more money, and you get less than in most of other places in US. Traffic is terrible, it's even worse if you have to take public transportation. It stinks, both literary and figuratively. Public parking practically doesn't exist, underground garages are very tight and inconvenient. Are you used to drive through fast food or drive through banking? Forget about it.
  • A lot of this city is dirty and shabby. Dilapidated buildings, graffiti, dirty roads, potholes, homeless people can be found everywhere.
  • It's a very noisy city: noise on the streets, noise in the buildings, day and night. Even people renting very expensive apartments have to suffer that.
  • The weather is terrible. Like nowhere else, rain and snow frequently become an emergency. You can't drive, you can't walk, buses aren't running. People can't get to work. This winter even banks were closed on Manhattan. But even when the weather is nice, you won't see much sun anyway, because buildings are too tall and too close to each other. Winters are cold and wet, summers are hot and humid.
  • There are practically no biking and hiking trails, forget about biking after work, or during lunch time like we are used to in CA. There aren't any good parks for biking and hiking either. The best places are the beaches, though they are pretty dirty too.
I agree.....

Old 04-24-2010, 03:07 AM

243 posts, read 1,332,882 times
I am born and raised in the city and am looking to leave eventually. I would like to move out West. I've thought about Denver. Maybe somewhere else. We'll see.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:09 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,227,595 times
Quote:
All negative and you didn't mention ANY of the TONS of positives about NYC.
Hope you don't live here. If you do, please move soon.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 AM

8 posts, read 32,178 times
Quote:
Wow, you must really love this city....
Sorry, but isnt that the thing about NYC? It is dirty and sooo noisy and stinky and full of homeless people - thats a fact - but at the same time, its exciting, raw, edgy and SO REAL, NY is reality as dirty and full of homeless it is.
I live in a "perfect" Country in Europe. We dont have ANY severe problems and a bunch of homeless people who most of the time choose to be homeless (kids becomming punks and running away from home or addicts) but despite of that, all the people here are complaining without an end, maybe because everything seems so perfect at the first sight, but exactly this makes you very unhappy, because it doesnt match your inner feeling...
Does that make any sense? I hope you kinda understand.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:46 AM

82 posts, read 315,526 times
My guess that most people who praise NYC here are young and single. I perfectly understand them. When I was a university student I also lived in a big city with similar problems and I enjoyed that loud crazy life style. But when you get older, get married, have kids, believe me you will want something completely different. Then all those problems you didn't pay attention to will become serious, and the entertainment, booz, recreational sex you enjoyed before will become stupid. You will want a home for your family, with a backyard, where your wife will plant flowers. You will want to have your personal driveway, where you will keep all your family cars, because your garage is filled with stuff, you should have thrown away long time ago. You will want to have a big car to drive your kids to their soccer practice, and when you go shopping you will want all those 50 bags to easily fit in. You will want to invite friends for a BBQ in your house. You will want to spend no more than 30 min driving to work. You will want to take your kids on bike ride and spend a few hours enjoying nature. You will want safe neighbourhood ... There are million other small things you would like to have which millions of people in this country enjoy and you will not be able to have them.
Too bad for many people, by the time they realize that, they will be stuck in the city. The burden of responsibilities, connections, jobs, and high cost of moving will prevent them from finding a better place until the retirement. Then they will finally be able to move to Florida or elsewhere. My advise to young people, move out of this city now while it's easy to do.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,827,820 times
Quote:
My guess that most people who praise NYC here are young and single. I perfectly understand them. When I was a university student I also lived in a big city with similar problems and I enjoyed that loud crazy life style. But when you get older, get married, have kids, believe me you will want something completely different. Then all those problems you didn't pay attention to will become serious, and the entertainment, booz, recreational sex you enjoyed before will become stupid. You will want a home for your family, with a backyard, where your wife will plant flowers. You will want to have your personal driveway, where you will keep all your family cars, because your garage is filled with stuff, you should have thrown away long time ago. You will want to have a big car to drive your kids to their soccer practice, and when you go shopping you will want all those 50 bags to easily fit in. You will want to invite friends for a BBQ in your house. You will want to spend no more than 30 min driving to work. You will want to take your kids on bike ride and spend a few hours enjoying nature. You will want safe neighbourhood ... There are million other small things you would like to have which millions of people in this country enjoy and you will not be able to have them.
Too bad for many people, by the time they realize that, they will be stuck in the city. The burden of responsibilities, connections, jobs, and high cost of moving will prevent them from finding a better place until the retirement. Then they will finally be able to move to Florida or elsewhere. My advise to young people, move out of this city now while it's easy to do.

Not everyone wants that. Who wants to stay home planting flowers when I could be working? I don't want kids so why would i get a tacky SUV which basically eats gas? Did you ever think that maybe some people don't want a family? I had a teacher who would start each class with a little talk about how he raised his kids in the city and "it was so nice because I could just go to the park and they would ride the merry-go-round for hours"

I feel like you have watched pleasentville one to many times! not everyone wants that! some people like living in the city. you don't as i can see. And I don't want to just be a house wife. to me having kids and stopping working is a waste of a college education.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM

966 posts, read 2,443,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Thats the problem right there, a lot of folks in NYC assume when u leave, the alternative is a rural town in the middle of nowhere. There are nicer areas such as smaller New Englad towns where u can have peace and quiet at night , but still have access to a night life if u want. Going from NYC to the Midwest is going from one extreme to the next.
I agree, having done exactly this: moving from one extreme to another. Yikes. You live and you learn. Okay, so what cities do you have in mind where a person can find some peace and quiet as well as a vibrant night life or cultural life. I am way past the nightclubbing stage, but I still love (and I do mean love) poetry, music, theatre, opera, film, etc.

Suggestions?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,172,443 times
Quote:
Too bad for many people, by the time they realize that, they will be stuck in the city. The burden of responsibilities, connections, jobs, and high cost of moving will prevent them from finding a better place until the retirement. Then they will finally be able to move to Florida or elsewhere. My advise to young people,
move out of this city now while it's easy to do.

That's just laughable..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City