Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,024 times

Advertisements

I want to move out, and the idea of living a bohemian lifestyle has been stuck in my head along with it, do people actually live that way or is long gone, alive only in movies, surely people of artistic nature, who are free spirited, loving, *****, open minded, hippies or whatever else, surely those people live in communities, studios and such, am I dreaming or can this be reality, how do i find those places, if you can help please do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:25 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnemo View Post
I want to move out, and the idea of living a bohemian lifestyle has been stuck in my head along with it, do people actually live that way or is long gone, alive only in movies, surely people of artistic nature, who are free spirited, loving, *****, open minded, hippies or whatever else, surely those people live in communities, studios and such, am I dreaming or can this be reality, how do i find those places, if you can help please do

I think you have watched Rent one too many times.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
This thread should be moved. Bohemian areas are not found in NYC. Too expensive.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:50 PM

217 posts, read 921,593 times
It's somewhere in the Sudetenland, I think... Well, the age of Bohemians has kind of come and gone, at least in Manhattan. Everything is money, money, money and the young, energetic creatives don't have the outlets - or the audience that will pay - to make that money, money, money for the venue owners anymore, assuming there's venues left. I came to the East Village because, through the mid-1990s, the independent "art" scene - mostly music - was really alive. Then, suddenly, everyone turned 40. In the mean time, the "kids" ten, twenty years younger than us sprung it on us that they were making money, had a lot of money, and thus it was time for "us" to leave. Or, join 'em if we were smart enough to have made a lot of money and still understand creativity.

These kids with money have all hit 40 and, dig this, those younger paid attention to them rather than the "Bohemians." The power dynamic is all about the money and that's it. The St. Marks area, once "dangerous" with music is now boring, boring, boring with noodle houses and yuppies who can afford the beer the folks at the Continental...

Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Bohemia

For those who may not be familiar with Bohemia:

Bohemia is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the east-central part of the Town of Islip, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Bohemia in the Town of Islip is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma; on the east by the Hamlet of Holbrook; on the south by the Hamlet of Sayville and the Hamlet of Oakdale; and, on the west by the Hamlet of North Great River and the Hamlet of Central Islip.

The Hamlet of Bohemia has a different border than does the "Bohemia, NY 11716" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Bohemia, NY 11716" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Bohemia and a place can have other than a "Bohemia, NY 11716" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Bohemia): places that have a "Bohemia, NY 11716" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Bohemia are in the Hamlet of Holbrook and the Hamlet of Sayville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Bohemia with an "Islip Terrace, NY 11752" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Oh, Walter Greenspan. I love you.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:51 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,378 times
Broke creatives are alive and well in new york city. Get out of manhattan and look around. You think nyc is a cultural wasteland? Give me a break. Yeah, its expensive. There are opportunities here that are endless. People find a way.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Broke creatives are alive and well in new york city. Get out of manhattan and look around. You think nyc is a cultural wasteland? Give me a break. Yeah, its expensive. There are opportunities here that are endless. People find a way.
Sure, there are broke creatives, living 8 to a loft in Bushwick. And artists in places like the Flux Factory living a communal lifestyle centered around creativity and recycling.

But IMO, trying to be hip and trying to be a hippie are two different things.

I don't recommend NY for anyone who wants to be a "hippie" and is looking for "free-spirited" etc. The broke creatives may be broke, but they are as competitive as anyone else in NYC and many of the ones living 8 to a loft have high ambitions.

I stand by my other post. Look elsewhere.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
For those who may not be familiar with Bohemia:
Bohemia is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the east-central part of the Town of Islip, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.
Your Bohemia is just a knock-off. The real Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
The real Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.

According to Wikipedia, "The term (Bohemian) emerged in France in the early 19th century when artists and creators began to concentrate in the lower-rent, lower class gypsy neighborhoods. The term bohémien was a common term for the Romani people of France, who had reached Western Europe via Bohemia."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City