Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,507,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I think the 1,2, and 4 trains should be extended into Yonkers. just my two cents.
Use this as a guideline when making proposals for service: if it involves crossing a border outside New York City, you can fuhgeddabout it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 AM

43,375 posts, read 44,091,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Envision the present V route. Except that when the downtown train leaves Broadway/Lafayette Street station, the next stop will be Essex Street. Then it'll follow the M line for the rest of the run out to Metropolitan Avenue.

For anyone who's curious as to how this will be effected--there's a short stretch of track known as the Chrystie Street Cut, which connects the 6 Avenue and Nassau Street lines. It's been sitting there generally unused since the last such service pattern was discontinued in the mid-1960s. The only catch to using the Chrystie Street Cut is that it cannot accommodate trains running 75-foot cars. Model R-46 and R-68 trains won't be able to run on the new M route, which really isn't a problem since they're not used on that line now.
Thanks for replying to this as I too was wondering exactly how the M & V routes would be merged.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 PM

144 posts, read 462,755 times
i would have the 2 or 3 train run express sporadically from chambers to atlantic ave because all the downtown bk and manhattan trains are redunant. Even if it means building an extra track 2 or 5 train in run express in both directions from 180th to 149th. 6 train becoming sporadically express from parkchester to 125th, and 4 train run express sporadically from bedford park to ___.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc227 View Post
i would have the 2 or 3 train run express sporadically from chambers to atlantic ave because all the downtown bk and manhattan trains are redunant. Even if it means building an extra track 2 or 5 train in run express in both directions from 180th to 149th. 6 train becoming sporadically express from parkchester to 125th, and 4 train run express sporadically from bedford park to ___.
See, here's the problem: there aren't any extra tracks to run an express between Chambers and Atlantic. And the logistics of building extra tracks for an express are frightening to think about: the existing tunnels would have to be widened, or new tunnels built on a different level.

As it happens, there's been additional service put in on the #4 line in The Bronx that makes use of that middle track. Used to be regular, years ago. But recently, a decision was made to reinstate a rush hour express service on the Jerome Avenue el. I believe that five or six trains are run each rush hour. This could be expanded--we'll have to see what happens.

And the #6 already has a rush hour express in The Bronx. I can only assume you didn't know this.

By the way, for the record (and to get back on track, if you'll pardon the pun), the title of this thread is kind of misguided. There are no useless subway lines in New York. Any system that carries more than 4 million people a day cannot be accused of uselessness. Some stations don't get as much use as others, but that's only relative.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 AM

93 posts, read 307,277 times
Default My observations of taking the QB line for almost 2 years

I would think it would be a good idea to extend the G to 71st at all times, and eliminating the V train altogether.

Also, I was wondering Fred, can the Nassau and Jamaica lines interchange at Jamaica station?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM

281 posts, read 1,234,168 times
Very interesting thread.Thanks for all the "inside" info. I have always thought there were a few too many lightly used stations on the L train between Rockaway Parkway and Broadway Junction. E.105th Street and Livonia come to mind.Also after B'way Junction,Bushwick-Aberdeen seems pretty vacant and useless.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso_te_great View Post
I would think it would be a good idea to extend the G to 71st at all times, and eliminating the V train altogether.

Also, I was wondering Fred, can the Nassau and Jamaica lines interchange at Jamaica station?
As everyone in Queens is about to find out late in June, the V line is history. But the service won't be eliminated; you'll have the M line running out of Continental Avenue.

The G used to run to Continental at all times. Nobody will ever be able to make me understand why, but the powers that be at MTA have a distinct dislike for the G line. They seem to believe that any line without station stops in Manhattan is somehow unimportant, and they've been plotting the demise of Queens Boulevard service on the G for more than a decade. I believe this will become official later this year.

And no, the Queens Boulevard and Nassau Street lines (E and J trains) cannot interchange at Jamaica Center. But I can tell you an interesting little fact about the Parsons/Archer terminal on the J line. It was built to accommodate an extension that would connect with the Rosedale branch of the Long Island Railroad, which was planned to be taken over by NYCT. The J trains would've run all the way out to Rosedale. Somewhere along the line--pun unavoidable--a decision was made not to move forward with those plans. But the connection could still be built if plans change.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 PM

904 posts, read 2,866,053 times
Quote:
The G used to run to Continental at all times. Nobody will ever be able to make me understand why, but the powers that be at MTA have a distinct dislike for the G line.
This is true, but I gotta admit, the Church Ave. extension was a champion idea. Hopefully they'll make it permanent.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 PM

88 posts, read 509,507 times
Fred,
has the discussion ever been made to eliminate certain stations during off peak hours? I can only imagine the uproar this would cause, but if the mta is in such a big deficit, and straphangers are constantly complaining about the cost per ride, this could save some money without making cutbacks on service.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R160 View Post
Fred,
has the discussion ever been made to eliminate certain stations during off peak hours? I can only imagine the uproar this would cause, but if the mta is in such a big deficit, and straphangers are constantly complaining about the cost per ride, this could save some money without making cutbacks on service.
This has come up on occasion. And whenever it does, you can hear the screaming halfway across town! Nobody wants to hear about anything like it. The truth of the matter is, when you're running a system that carries upwards of 4 million people a day, one thing you really can't consider is not running trains to certain stations.

As to complaining, well, let's face the fact: New York is the complaining capital of the United States. There's nothing we won't complain about. But when you stop to consider that we've got the only 24/7 subway in the world, not only the largest, but it can run expresses and locals--which most subways around the world can't--and it charges a flat fare rather than a zone system, there's not as much to complain about as everyone likes to imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City