Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:43 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times

Advertisements

My only agenda is to provide a fair assessment of my community. What's yours? You don't even live in the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 02:53 PM

127 posts, read 547,843 times
I agree with Guywithacause. Apvbguy is giving incorrect information about a neighborhood he does not even live in. He's in New Jersey and Florida. Come on! Back to the original topic, lilylight I think you will be making a sound investment by moving to the yankee stadium area. If you visit the neighborhood now you will see that it is greener. Grand Concourse Ave. and 161st were renovated. There are two parks on the Concourse and more to come on Jerome ave. once the old yankee stadium is demolished. Go to the website below and check out the yankee stadium neighborhood development plan. By the way gentrification has already begun. I grew up in the neighborhood and will soon by a coop. If I thought the neighborhood was ****ty like some people have posted on here I would not have invested in this neighborhood. The neighborhood has a lot of potential:

Hope I was available to assist. I

Old 05-25-2008, 02:58 PM

Continuation:
1. Close to Manhattan by highway, bridges, subways (b,d,2,4,5), future metro-north station, and express bus.
2. Many parks (2 on the Grand Concourse, swimming pool, skate boarding & other recreational parks on jerome & more to come - check website out)
3. New retail complex on former bronx terminal market site (already under construction)
4. New yankee stadium (already under construction)
http://bronxboropres.nyc.gov/en/PDFs/YankeePresents.pdf (broken link) The link is straight from the Bronx Borough president's website.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
I agree with Guywithacause. Apvbguy is giving incorrect information about a neighborhood he does not even live in. :
please tell me what part I have wrong?
Is it the over crowded part?
is it the bad schools part?
is it the crime part?
is it the gangs in the area part?
is it the dirty streets part?
is it the the drug dealers on the corners part?
is it the lack of parks and open spaces parts?

The area is not exactly pristine and all I do is counter balance some people's misrepresentation of the area as being a good place to live, I stand by my assertion that more people wish they could escape living there than there are people who aspire to live there.
Whenever I point this reality out people like you start with the insults because you can't counter with facts, when that school teacher said the same thing about people wanting to leave the area, she too was insulted.
These are the facts as I see them, and if you disagree, fine, counter with facts that paint a different picture.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Apvbguy:
1. Schools may be overcrowded and bad, but it is no different in many neighborhoods of Manhattan or around the city. Washington Heights has the same problem. Let's not forget that she wants to move from there to yankee stadium area. There are great Catholic schools in the area like St. Pius V, Cardinal Hayes, and Immaculate Conception.
2. I've lived here for over 20 years and have never been mugged.
3. I don't see any gangs or people selling drugs on street corners.
4. As for parks, there are many like Franz Siegel Park, Mullaly Park and more to come with the redevelopment. Grand Concourse and 161st were renovated and trees were planted around the whole neighborhood.
I invite you to visit the neighborhood. You'll see lots of families having fun at the park and residents walking their dogs. I agree that the area "is not exactly pristine" compared to established neighborhoods like the Upper West Side or Upper East Side of Manhattan, but it can definitely stand on its own against Washington Heights and Harlem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
please tell me what part I have wrong?
Is it the over crowded part?
is it the bad schools part?
is it the crime part?
is it the gangs in the area part?
is it the dirty streets part?
is it the the drug dealers on the corners part?
is it the lack of parks and open spaces parts?

The area is not exactly pristine and all I do is counter balance some people's misrepresentation of the area as being a good place to live, I stand by my assertion that more people wish they could escape living there than there are people who aspire to live there.
Whenever I point this reality out people like you start with the insults because you can't counter with facts, when that school teacher said the same thing about people wanting to leave the area, she too was insulted.
These are the facts as I see them, and if you disagree, fine, counter with facts that paint a different picture.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Apvbguy:
1. Schools may be overcrowded and bad, but it is no different in many neighborhoods of Manhattan or around the city. Washington Heights has the same problem. Let's not forget that she wants to move from there to yankee stadium area. There are great Catholic schools in the area like St. Pius V, Cardinal Hayes, and Immaculate Conception.
2. I've lived here for over 20 years and have never been mugged.
3. I don't see any gangs or people selling drugs on street corners.
4. As for parks, there are many like Franz Siegel Park, Mullaly Park and more to come with the redevelopment. Grand Concourse and 161st were renovated and trees were planted around the whole neighborhood.
I invite you to visit the neighborhood. You'll see lots of families having fun at the park and residents walking their dogs. I agree that the area "is not exactly pristine" compared to established neighborhoods like the Upper West Side or Upper East Side of Manhattan, but it can definitely stand on its own against Washington Heights and Harlem.
so you can't defend your statement saying that since I live in NYC I don't know what I am talking about,
Bottom line is that there are many better options available than living in that part of the bronx

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 AM

The bottom line is that I live in the neighborhood and you don't. That Washington Heights and this area are practically the same. That lilly was considering leaving Manhattan for an up-and-coming neighborhood of the Bronx that will give her more bang for her money and a greater return if she decides to sell in the future. This nabe has a lot of potential, investment has been pouring in and real estate professionals are recommending the area. So now you tell me, who's wrong? Real estate professionals, investors/developers, me (long-time resident), or you (out of towner that probably never stepped in the neighborhood but loves to jump on the south bronx bashing bus ride)?

Quote:
so you can't defend your statement saying that since I live in NYC I don't know what I am talking about,
Bottom line is that there are many better options available than living in that part of the bronx

Old 05-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The bottom line is that I live in the neighborhood and you don't. That Washington Heights and this area are practically the same. That lilly was considering leaving Manhattan for an up-and-coming neighborhood of the Bronx that will give her more bang for her money and a greater return if she decides to sell in the future. This nabe has a lot of potential, investment has been pouring in and real estate professionals are recommending the area. So now you tell me, who's wrong? Real estate professionals, investors/developers, me (long-time resident), or you (out of towner that probably never stepped in the neighborhood but loves to jump on the south bronx bashing bus ride)?
no substance, only insults. just like the bronx you have little usefulness

Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 PM

Ouch! Looks like someone has something against The Bronx. I think you just demonstrated how biased you are.

Quote:
no substance, only insults. just like the bronx you have little usefulness

Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Ouch! Looks like someone has something against The Bronx. I think you just demonstrated how biased you are.
biased? no, pragmatic or realist would be better words.

you keep on cheering and twilling those pom poms and telling yourself how wonderful the place is if that what helps you get through the day, those of us who are a bit more worldly will just chuckle at your naive views
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City