Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 04:45 PM

824 posts, read 2,782,360 times

Advertisements

Will be moving out of Manhattan to save some $$. Will be looking for a studio for 1,000/month. I do not own a car. I will not be commuting into Manhattan (semi-retired). Both these neighborhoods seem to have what I'm looking for: relatively safe, affordable, and close to a main drag with bars, restaurants, delis, pizza places, bodegas, and so on, like 3rd or 4th Ave in Bay Ridge or Broadway in Astoria. Anyone have an opinion on the differences between these two neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,973,977 times
I think Bay Ridge is a much nicer neighborhood than Astoria with a much more vibrant shopping district and better parks,etc.Astoria is a lot more convenient to Manhattan so it might depend on your lifestyle.
In Bay Ridge there is less need to go anywhere so if you only want to go to Manhattan a few times a week I'd pick Bay Ridge.If you feel a need to be in Manhattan every day then it gets more difficult I guess.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,242,451 times
Astoria has the much better commute, but other than that both neighborhoods have a similar vibe. Both are very "old school New York", family-type neighborhoods, yet both also have an influx of youngish professional types.

Bay Ridge has a slightly more "suburban" feel to it.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,017,873 times
I think Bay Ridge feels a bit more upscale. There are some great restaurants in both places. Astoria is a bit edgier, more urban - but not in a negative way. If I didn't need to go into the city much or have any other reason for choosing one location or the other such as where my friends live or how often I might travel out of town via airports or routes south or north, etc., then I would probably choose Bay Ridge for its peaceful nature and proximity to the waterfront area.

It's a great time of year to spend a few days in each place, exploring, walking, eating, shopping. That should help you decide.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,776,226 times
Take the commute to the city out of the equation and I’d say Bay Ridge hands down. Although, I really like Astoria as well. Architecturally, Bay Ridge is very diverse. Some areas near the Bay have incredibly huge homes and a true suburban feel. But, for the the most part Bay Ridge feels more urban than not.

I live right on 3rd in the 90’s and love the amenities of the neighborhood. The whole 3rd Ave. strip from 69th to 95th has everything you can imagine including some very good restaurants. In addition to the 3rd Ave. shopping, there’s a lot happening on 5th and 86th Street as well.

You indicated you were looking for a studio for $1K. There shouldn’t be too much of a problem finding a nice place for that price.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,973,977 times
Bay Ridge has the best shopping/business area of any neighborhood in the city outside of Manhattan that isn't a mall. It even has a Century 21.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,615,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think Bay Ridge is a much nicer neighborhood than Astoria with a much more vibrant shopping district and better parks,etc.Astoria is a lot more convenient to Manhattan so it might depend on your lifestyle.
In Bay Ridge there is less need to go anywhere so if you only want to go to Manhattan a few times a week I'd pick Bay Ridge.If you feel a need to be in Manhattan every day then it gets more difficult I guess.

I don't know about MUCH nicer but its definitely nicer. However, I do like Astoria very much are even about the same.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 PM

824 posts, read 2,782,360 times
Thanks for the replies. I also see that there was a similiar thread. I must have missed it when I searched for one://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...bay-ridge.html

Bay Ridge is lookin' good for me. It's either that or move out of NYC alltogether. From the other forums, I've been looking at Winston-Salem, NC. But I think I will end up in Bay Ridge!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Astoria, hands down.n The diversity, shops, restaurants. But best of all, just minutes to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City