Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
True, and that's why hoods like the South Bronx, Jackson Heights, Sunset Park, et al are far higher than they should be when you consider standard factors.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I live in JH and I am always surprised at how reasonable rents are considering the short commute to midtown (12 minutes once on the E or F train, between JH and E 53rd or E 63rd) and the amenities and the architecture. Have you been to JH?

I've been to the South Bronx and Sunset Park but only one or two times each so can't claim any familiarity with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 04:39 AM

93 posts, read 307,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I live in JH and I am always surprised at how reasonable rents are considering the short commute to midtown (12 minutes once on the E or F train, between JH and E 53rd or E 63rd) and the amenities and the architecture. Have you been to JH?

I've been to the South Bronx and Sunset Park but only one or two times each so can't claim any familiarity with them.
I agree as well, I live in a rent stabilized apt (probably built late 90s), and pay next to nothing, half a block from the train

Old 04-29-2010, 12:03 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgal123 View Post
You will definitely see million dollar attached homes in the area. The correction seems to have missed this market!
Apparently! I'm just totally shocked that people are willing to pay such prices for homes that are not even in the best of conditions.

When a home approaches the 1 mil figure, you expect upgraded kitchens & baths, finished basements, granite countertops, jacuzzi tubs, etc. but it's not the case for the active listings I've seen.

And we're not talking about homes in the FH Gardens area either, but those 15 or so blocks out from the town center.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
Are you guys kidding me? Forest hills has become sort of like the russian ghetto. Actually, i should be more accurate, not russian but UZBECKISTANi ghetto. When my parents first moved to FH in the 80's, it was lovely and peaceful and mostly jewish. Now, with the exception of Forest hills gardens.. most of FH is ghetto.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM

201 posts, read 619,508 times
Hey Kimchee did you have a house in the gardens? I just bought a 1800 sqft condo in the gardens for 900k a couple of months ago. I wish I was like you and bought 4-5 years ago. But FH Gardens is always have growing prices because of the history and security patrol. Very good investment for me because I think 5-10 years from now Forest Hills will be like a hoboken or jersey city with yuppie kids moving in who want a hip trendy neighborhood in the city. With Austin Street with its night life and stores, and restaurants and manhattan only 30-45 min away its only a matter of time before Forest Hills turns into another Williamsburg or Park Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City