Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 32,199 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I just got accepted at La Gurdia and BMCC in NYC, but I have no clue which one to choose.

I am European and will move to NY soon, so I don't have any idea where I can get a better education plus what kind of people are studying there.
I just heard that at La Guardia you can find many different people from different cultures, which I think is a good thing for me as I am from abroad as well. But of course I care more about the eductation I can get and I wanna get a good one.

So can you give me some advice and experiece of the school if you know?
Have you even been or are you curently in one of the 2 colleges?

My major will be psychology and my minor journalism.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot !

Silvie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Those are both community colleges. You can only do your first two years there and get an associates degree, not a bachelor's degree. If you want a bachelor's degree, you will need to transfer to a 4-year school at some point. Make sure to get the best grades you can and try to take your general ed classes- many schools will not accept community college classes for major requirements. Your best bet is to figure out where you want to transfer to, and find out about their gen ed requirements. Take those classes, get top grades, and transfer.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Those are both community colleges. You can only do your first two years there and get an associates degree, not a bachelor's degree. If you want a bachelor's degree, you will need to transfer to a 4-year school at some point. Make sure to get the best grades you can and try to take your general ed classes- many schools will not accept community college classes for major requirements. Your best bet is to figure out where you want to transfer to, and find out about their gen ed requirements. Take those classes, get top grades, and transfer.
Yes, I know all of this already. I know of course that these are community colleges and that I have to tranfer to a 4-year college to get my bachelor. I wanna transfer to Hunter.

So, any suggestion ??

Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
BMCC is a much better school than LaGuardia.. trust me, I can't imagine anyone who will say the opposite.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
BMCC is a much better school than LaGuardia.. trust me, I can't imagine anyone who will say the opposite.
Well how so`?? I need information. Why do you think BMCC is much better ?? Have you been there yourself ?

Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetos View Post
Well how so`?? I need information. Why do you think BMCC is much better ?? Have you been there yourself ?
LaGuardia is not a college. I don't care that they offer college courses, anyone who goes there will tell you that it's a joke. The environment is like a high school, and they tend to keep people there much longer than two years because of their bad way of handling course schedules. BMCC is not a bad school, it's much more like a college than LaGuardia, and you will definitely be able to transfer after two years of going there if you do all you classes right, no question.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
If you had to make a choice between the two. Choose BMCC and transfer out to real college ASAP.

Straight up truth is that both school suck because they are community college. Associate degrees do not impress anyone and I really do mean anyone especially employers. Primary function that community colleges to prepare students for 4-year college.

Now days, community college in NY metro area serves to provide what high schools in NY metro area did not due to poor education system. Regardless of what anyone says this is the bottom-line in real world.

Remember, whichever school you choose. Get out ASAP to 4-year college.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
LaGuardia is not a college. I don't care that they offer college courses, anyone who goes there will tell you that it's a joke. The environment is like a high school, and they tend to keep people there much longer than two years because of their bad way of handling course schedules. BMCC is not a bad school, it's much more like a college than LaGuardia, and you will definitely be able to transfer after two years of going there if you do all you classes right, no question.
Ok, thats good information there. So have you been to one of the two colleges yourself ? Can you tell me a lil more??

Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
If you had to make a choice between the two. Choose BMCC and transfer out to real college ASAP.

Straight up truth is that both school suck because they are community college. Associate degrees do not impress anyone and I really do mean anyone especially employers. Primary function that community colleges to prepare students for 4-year college.

Now days, community college in NY metro area serves to provide what high schools in NY metro area did not due to poor education system. Regardless of what anyone says this is the bottom-line in real world.

Remember, whichever school you choose. Get out ASAP to 4-year college.
Thx for that ! Well, of course I am planning to transfer, I know I have to. I am really not interested to get an associate degree, I already heard that it doesnt bring you far at all. I am planning to transfer to Hunter. I've heard it's a good college, what do you think?

So you are saying that the stuff they are teaching in a community college is pretty easy because it has the same level than an American highschool ?? If thats really true, then thats just sad ! Sad for your whole education in the US ! Why is that ?
And have you been to one of the two colleges as well?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 PM

P.S.: I just remember.... I've heard that La Guardia has a good reputation and is one of the best community colleges in the US ?!?!
Still... i dont know if this is true or not, I am just hearing the bad things of all of you, plus it seemed to me that they didnt have much clue about anything when I had them on the phone a few times.. thats why I am basicly worried by now to choose La Guardia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: