Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,750 times

Advertisements

So I am moving to either queens or brooklyn next week. I will be teaching in Queens- not sure where yet (I'm in the New York Teaching Fellows, haven't been placed yet).

So I'm debating whether I should move to Brooklyn or Queens. I'm leaning towards Brooklyn... but the whole lack of transportation kind of freaks me out. I honestly don't know about having a car or not. It seems like it can be more hassle than it's worth, but then again it gets you to where you need to go. But parking sure sucks. I guess what I'm saying is should I bring a car or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 AM

47 posts, read 193,180 times
What else are you looking for? They are both big boroughs.

As far as getting around, Queens will be much easier with a car, and much easier owning a car over all.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,494 times
I agree with Dixie that Queens will be 'easier' with a car, but it will still be a big pain. Public transportation can get you almost anywhere you'll ever need to go in the NYC metropolitan area, and for the most part having a car here is just one big headache. I'd recommend not bringing a car and see how things go- you can always get one later.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I live in Queens and have a car but hardly ever use it. The only reason I keep it is because I have work in Boston and need it for that. Some neighborhoods in queens are also really hard to find street parking. If you can't find street parking, you need to rent a space = expensive.

To give you an example of my thinking before I get in my car, I have to imagine trying to find parking when I get back. Then I think about having to deal with traffic. And find parking on the other end. The time in traffic is usually more than the time involved in just hopping on the train and walking. And traffic stresses me out.

I would add, however, that if I lived a significant distance from the subway (more than 15 minutes walk) then I would probably be driving more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: