Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, going to be in NYC for a few days next week. One of my nights is completely free right now, and looking for somewhere to eat?

Will be by myself, so nothing extremely fancy or with much of a dress-code. Not looking for a deli/pizza shop, but rather a place I can actually sit down and eat.

Thinking about Market Cafe on 9th Ave. Been doing some Googling. Any suggestions? Anywhere in Manhattan is fine with me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:13 AM

88 posts, read 510,400 times
shake shack. you can grab a burger and a shake and ppl watch in madison square park. its located on 23rd and madison ave. what kind of food are you looking for?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:15 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Being very interested in food myself, I always think it's a pity not to take advantage of the opportunity to eat in NYC to the fullest extent.

I haven't been to Market Cafe, though read favorable things about it. I don't know how much not-dressed you want to be, but there are places like Union Square Cafe where people have dinner at the bar. Generally, NYC treats singles quite well. If you want to make an evening of it, you could go some place down in Chinatown, and then stroll up to Little Italy for coffee and dessert. If you're Googling, check out Chowhound; the question of dining alone comes up periodically.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I would add Gotham Bar and Grill, and the Bridge Cafe to the list, since both have a full menu at the bar.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Market Cafe is fine, but nothing special. Sort of a high-end diner. I eat there if I'm seeing a show, but it's not a destination restaurant. For an even better version of this style of restaurant go to Alias (Alias Restaurant | Fresh Friendly Neighborhood Dining).

The best bar food in town by far is The Spotted Pig (The Spotted Pig - New York). Everything there is delicious. It's ridiculously crowded on weekends though. Lots of celebrities.

Another favorite is Momufuku Noodle Bar (momofuku » Noodle Bar). The have a lot of counter seating so it's perfect for one person.

The most social restaurant I have ever been to in New York is Socarrat Paella Bar (Socarrat Paella Bar). It's a tiny place with two communal tables and everyone talks to everyone else. They have great tapas. Unfortunately you can't get the paella because it only comes for two.

Gotham is great, but it's borderline fine dining, which doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: