Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,357,981 times

Advertisements

I disagree that his goal is to make NYC more European feeling. I think he is building upon the things that make NYC great, like our parks and walkability, by increasing open space and plazas. It just so happens that what makes NYC great is also what makes many European cities great also. He is trying to make our city more livable for all Americans, make it cleaner and healthier, and spread the wealth across the 5 boroughs instead of a few privdeledged areas of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM

18,450 posts, read 31,591,805 times
Wow, it is now the year 2010, NOW they deciede to make NY cleaner and healthier.....

Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,569,989 times
Hey, better late than never!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,460,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Wow, it is now the year 2010, NOW they deciede to make NY cleaner and healthier.....

As Fred said "better late than never"

Would you prefer that they leave NYC filthy with drug dealers on every corner and prostitutes walking down 42nd Street?

I love Manhattan and I'm so glad it's getting better with as the years go by!!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM

18,450 posts, read 31,591,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
As Fred said "better late than never"

Would you prefer that they leave NYC filthy with drug dealers on every corner and prostitutes walking down 42nd Street?

I love Manhattan and I'm so glad it's getting better with as the years go by!!

NO, I would not prefer that, so don't assume that I do.

Just because we have a (whoop de doo) pedestrian mall, doesn't make the city that much cleaner.

Logically: The cars that can no more go in that area are just somewhere else.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM

15,577 posts, read 15,622,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinNY View Post
Bloomberg is doing a great job for the city. The majority would seem to agree as he was elected for 3 terms. His goal is to make NYC a more European-feeling city, which means increase tourism and increase money for NYC. It all comes down to money and he's doing it in the best interest of NYC.
Excuse me, but Bloomberg ran by manipulating the laws to suit himself and then by spending such a phenomenal amount of money that viable candidates were intimidated into not running. In fact, he was reportedly shaken to discover that, despite all his spending, he won by such a narrow margin over his little-known opponent.

As to feeling European, there's a big difference between chic or Bohemian Parisians sitting at a quaint cafe in a charming street, and overweight Americans in baggy jeans sitting on cheap chairs in the middle of one of the ugliest, most garish parts of Manhattan.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,633,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Of New York View Post
I find these so-called malls absolutely ridiculous. I'm really not quite clear as to why sitting in the middle of car exhaust is preferable to taking ones fat or skinny ass along with their book to Central Park and sitting in one of the hundreds of much more comfortably secluded areas available.

Besides this being true and agreeing with it, I don't know why but I was literally crying out of laughter.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 PM

44 posts, read 51,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I disagree that his goal is to make NYC more European feeling. I think he is building upon the things that make NYC great, like our parks and walkability, by increasing open space and plazas. It just so happens that what makes NYC great is also what makes many European cities great also. He is trying to make our city more livable for all Americans, make it cleaner and healthier, and spread the wealth across the 5 boroughs instead of a few privdeledged areas of Manhattan.
New York could use some European flair. The pedestrian plazas give New York more European pizazz. Unfortunately, many New Yorkers resist initiatives like this because many New Yorkers don't give a hoot about appearances, architecture, beauty like Europeans and only care about stupid crap like creating/protecting low-income (welfare) housing.

I'm not some anti-car communist, I love driving my car when I'm back in Manhattan, and couldn't imagine life without out but these road closings have so far helped improve appearances (and have actually improved traffic). I can testify because I drive in Manhattan.

Times Square looks cooler now with the chairs (before it looked a tacky catastrophe with the plastic lawn chairs, but it looks better with the permanent furniture). A definite upgrade.

34th Street is a dumpy hellhole anyway, if I'm not mistaken, they're closing that dumpy street in front of the Empire State?

Hopefully this pedestrian plaza will force out filthy bottom-basement low-rent stores and smelly counterfeit resellers/scammers that occupy that area since it will no doubt increase rent values on the street and bring in more acceptable (upscale) retail and restaurants.

Last edited by bornrich; 04-29-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 10:16 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,830,477 times
New York will never be a European type city , because its a too large and vast. I think bloomberg needs stop with these plazas and focus on Mass Transit and other city issues, instead of turning it into Tourist Paradise.....ugh don't get me started on Tourists... Staten Island has almost no Transit. Meanwhile city schools and average New Yorkers are suffering , while he pours millions into stupid PED malls.......honestly if you New Yorkers want a break just cross the River as i say into the NJ Gold Coast. I also think Bloomberg is selling the city out to big corporation's & his rich big wigs.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,886,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
NO, I would not prefer that, so don't assume that I do.

Just because we have a (whoop de doo) pedestrian mall, doesn't make the city that much cleaner.

Logically: The cars that can no more go in that area are just somewhere else.
Actually, logically, people start to see that it just generally takes longer to get around in midtown, so they cut down on how much they drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City