Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 PM

196 posts, read 588,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgedPolaris View Post
The first thing I noticed that just wasn't around in any shape or form outside of NYC were my beloved bialys. Also Egg bagels elsewhere are hard to find. I lived in FL for a few years, and although you could get a good bagel down there, I wouldn't dare call it perfect.
oh, the futile quest for bialys! i left nyc in 2004 for miami and never found anything even REMOTELY resembling one. so sad. SO sad. now in el paso - i've given up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,302,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricemendo View Post
oh, the futile quest for bialys! i left nyc in 2004 for miami and never found anything even REMOTELY resembling one. so sad. SO sad. now in el paso - i've given up.
Kossar's will ship overnight/two-day so you can stock up and freeze them. There might be some quality loss in the process, but it would be better than anything you could find in Texas.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Seems every single place I've been out of state...California, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, to name a few, have a "New York Pizza" joint. Expecting the worst and hoping for the best, I'm always left wondering why it's so difficult to make a decent pizza. None of them ever come close. Most of them don't even sell pizza by the slice!

In defense of Massachusetts, they do have some excellent pizza places of their own.
Same with Philly cheese steaks you can't incorporate them in any other ciy except for Philly...I think it has something to do with the water/altitude etc...that makes it special that you can not make it taste the same in other places.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:13 AM

76 posts, read 235,220 times
"It has something to do with the water?" Come on America! Are we this ignorant? You love something that is good, even more, when its from your territory. The infatuation you have with you bagels, pizza, and cheesestakes is mental. Water cannot have that type of effect on your food...at least not what is detectible by our senses. Be proud of you home, but geesh.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keethler View Post
"It has something to do with the water?" Come on America! Are we this ignorant? You love something that is good, even more, when its from your territory. The infatuation you have with you bagels, pizza, and cheesestakes is mental. Water cannot have that type of effect on your food...at least not what is detectible by our senses. Be proud of you home, but geesh.

ignorant.....try baking a cake in a high altitude tempeture and humidty also hold a factor on TASTE... and as per water..taste and texture is different in EVERY CITY>.it makes a very big difference in food taste ... some water is harder and some is softer some is more salty some have more minerals in it. I can go on.........WATER MAKES A BIG DIFFERNACE ......... well known pizza place in NYC back in the 80s called Ray's Pizza opened a parlor in seveal other cites and COULD NOT make the same tasting pizza so they started shipping NYC water to the other parlors still not the same since it was not tap fresh and the altitude of every city changed the blance..........If that is to ignorant to believe then call a professional cooking school and speak to a ignorant chef PS...i guess Julia Child and Cheif baker Carl Rosenberg are also ignorant read this link below...........WATER makes a big differance!

http://www.springhillatcanfield.com/taste.html

Last edited by Chichappens; 05-01-2010 at 12:50 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 AM

11,590 posts, read 12,611,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Kossar's will ship overnight/two-day so you can stock up and freeze them. There might be some quality loss in the process, but it would be better than anything you could find in Texas.
That's good to know.

I have to bring up a more obscure one. Friendship's Farmer Cheese. I know it is not as popular as it used to be in NY, but at least it is still readily available in most supermarkets. I do know of a couple of supermarkets in LA that carry it sometimes.

Black and White. And if you are authentic you do not say "black and white cookie."

Old 05-01-2010, 12:52 AM

then what do you say lol that's what they have been called in NYC for the 45 yrs i have been here.

Friendship famer cheese.......great you can go to their website see if they have it in your area

Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 AM

Egg Creams ask for one out side of New York and most people will look at you VERY strange and when you tell them it is a beverage they assume it is Heavy cream or half and half with a raw egg...lol ha ha ha

Old 05-01-2010, 01:05 AM

Sabrett onions in sauce that they put on hotdogs in NYC......outside of ny you get RAW white or red onions that are diced........one stand in NV told me to just put ketchup on my dog and add onions...I WAS LIKE NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT the same buddy....... Nothing like a NYC Dirty Water Dog.....

Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 AM

11,590 posts, read 12,611,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
then what do you say lol that's what they have been called in NYC for the 45 yrs i have been here.

Friendship famer cheese.......great you can go to their website see if they have it in your area

Just black and white, such as I'll take 2 black and whites. I've been here more than 45 years. No one has ever asked me a black and white what. It could be just a Brooklyn/Bronx thing.

Outside of NY, you can buy Farmer's Cheese, but that is not the same as Farmer Cheese. I know it is not so popular these days in NYC, but it used to be along with Pot Cheese. It's still readily available at Waldbaum's and Stop and Shop. You can find Friendship Farmer Cheese in Florida and LA where you will find ex-New Yorkers. Otherwise, it is really hard to find and Friendship products are not sold nationally. Been there, done that and spoke to a vice president at Friendship several years ago who sent me a very long letter with a thorough explanation.

OK, I got one more to add. Not impossible to find depending on the city, but is scarcer and not as tasty - A Fresh Loaf of Rye Bread.

And Fred and I have already had our discussion about Italian Ices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City