Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:27 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,930,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Just black and white, such as I'll take 2 black and whites. I've been here more than 45 years. No one has ever asked me a black and white what. It could be just a Brooklyn/Bronx thing.

Outside of NY, you can buy Farmer's Cheese, but that is not the same as Farmer Cheese. I know it is not so popular these days in NYC, but it used to be along with Pot Cheese. It's still readily available at Waldbaum's and Stop and Shop. You can find Friendship Farmer Cheese in Florida and LA where you will find ex-New Yorkers. Otherwise, it is really hard to find and Friendship products are not sold nationally. Been there, done that and spoke to a vice president at Friendship several years ago who sent me a very long letter with a thorough explanation.

OK, I got one more to add. Not impossible to find depending on the city, but is scarcer and not as tasty - A Fresh Loaf of Rye Bread.

And Fred and I have already had our discussion about Italian Ices.
lol sorry am i missing something...You said no one has ever asked me for a black and white........they are cookies that are half choclate and have white iccing.....larger then the average cookie...an very famous not only in new york and are called black and white cookies.........unless I am not reading it Black and white right...lol

You can get Farmers cheese and pot cheese in many states and countries. I have lived in several states and seveal countries and LOVE farmers cheese and Pot cheese and have not had a problem finding it. NOw if your talking a particular brand......Not sure were Friendship delivers to in the USA or if NYC is the only market. I use to use their Sour cream which i found as the best untill i started shoping at Trader joe and started using their brand.

Rye bread not hard to come by in the west coast at any proper bakery fact i just bought a loaf stright from the bakery oven at Paul Schat Bakery in Carson CIty NV............that is a very lil town near Lake Tahoe NV Walmart has it but its not fresh as you would find in a local bakery.When I am in Studio City [la] you can find Jewish rye EVERYWHERE better ones come from the local bakeries..... and Pot cheese and famers cheese in LA is on almost every diner or cafe menu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:47 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,320,008 times
Referring only to a "black and white" without saying "cookie" is also a Manhattan, LI, CT, Brooklyn, and Westchester term, though I have also used it successfully in Queens, but they may have taken pity on me as an out of borougher. The only time people have asked, or said "cookie" was in a non-Jewish establishment. I have learned the hard way that if they say that, or ask, to cancel the order. LOL

And a good black and white is very much a regional specialty, since there are many pretend black and whites that force their mediocrity on an unsuspecting public.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-01-2010, 03:02 PM

11,596 posts, read 12,627,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
lol sorry am i missing something...You said no one has ever asked me for a black and white........they are cookies that are half choclate and have white iccing.....larger then the average cookie...an very famous not only in new york and are called black and white cookies.........unless I am not reading it Black and white right...lol

You can get Farmers cheese and pot cheese in many states and countries. I have lived in several states and seveal countries and LOVE farmers cheese and Pot cheese and have not had a problem finding it. NOw if your talking a particular brand......Not sure were Friendship delivers to in the USA or if NYC is the only market. I use to use their Sour cream which i found as the best untill i started shoping at Trader joe and started using their brand.

Rye bread not hard to come by in the west coast at any proper bakery fact i just bought a loaf stright from the bakery oven at Paul Schat Bakery in Carson CIty NV............that is a very lil town near Lake Tahoe NV Walmart has it but its not fresh as you would find in a local bakery.When I am in Studio City [la] you can find Jewish rye EVERYWHERE better ones come from the local bakeries..... and Pot cheese and famers cheese in LA is on almost every diner or cafe menu
There is nothing like fresh rye bread from a bakery. As I said, you can get it outside of NY, but not everywhere. Yes, you can get excellent rye bread in LA, along with good kosher deli. Store bought rye, is Blah.

As I previously said, FarmerS cheese bears no resemblance to Farmer cheese. Friendship is located in upstate NY and they don't send their products nationally. You would never find the pot cheese and farmer cheese that I am talking about in any diner. Pot cheese used to be bought from the appetizer section and would be wrapped in white paper. You buy it by the pound. Often it would be put in a bowl of milk or served with cereal. It kind of had the consistency of crumbled Feta cheese but it is kind of bland tasting. I know where ALL the Friendship Farmer cheese is sold in LA. My family and I are Farmer cheese fanatics and afficinados. We just open up the package and eat it with a spoon. and have gone on quests in LA to look for it. As I said, I had some major correspondence with the Friendship company. Now it is getting hard to get regular Farmer Cheese as opposed to the no salt version. Baked Farmer Cheese is a whole other ball of wax. Farmer Cheese and Pot cheese is kind of an old Jewish ethnic thing. I hope you are eating your sour cream correctly. Put it in a bowl with sliced bananas, Catskill style.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Referring only to a "black and white" without saying "cookie" is also a Manhattan, LI, CT, Brooklyn, and Westchester term, though I have also used it successfully in Queens, but they may have taken pity on me as an out of borougher. The only time people have asked, or said "cookie" was in a non-Jewish establishment. I have learned the hard way that if they say that, or ask, to cancel the order. LOL

And a good black and white is very much a regional specialty, since there are many pretend black and whites that force their mediocrity on an unsuspecting public.

Exactly! If you add the word "cookie," it shows non-New Yorkness. If you just say Black and White, it is understood you are referring to a cookie. I also agree with you about those pretend black and whites. Some of the fake black and whites are small. Real ones are quite large. Just like with oreos, everyone has a personal method for eating a real black and white. Some eat the chocolate first, others the vanilla first. Some attack the middle so that they get both flavors at the same time. It makes for great arguments with your friends.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
There is nothing like fresh rye bread from a bakery. As I said, you can get it outside of NY, but not everywhere. Yes, you can get excellent rye bread in LA, along with good kosher deli. Store bought rye, is Blah.

As I previously said, FarmerS cheese bears no resemblance to Farmer cheese. Friendship is located in upstate NY and they don't send their products nationally. You would never find the pot cheese and farmer cheese that I am talking about in any diner. Pot cheese used to be bought from the appetizer section and would be wrapped in white paper. You buy it by the pound. Often it would be put in a bowl of milk or served with cereal. It kind of had the consistency of crumbled Feta cheese but it is kind of bland tasting. I know where ALL the Friendship Farmer cheese is sold in LA. My family and I are Farmer cheese fanatics and afficinados. We just open up the package and eat it with a spoon. and have gone on quests in LA to look for it. As I said, I had some major correspondence with the Friendship company. Now it is getting hard to get regular Farmer Cheese as opposed to the no salt version. Baked Farmer Cheese is a whole other ball of wax. Farmer Cheese and Pot cheese is kind of an old Jewish ethnic thing. I hope you are eating your sour cream correctly. Put it in a bowl with sliced bananas, Catskill style.

i LOVE FARMERS CHEESE AND POT CHEESE an a native NYer....I find it all over same taste consistance ext....Been eating it since 1964 I guess I just happen to be VERY VERY LUCKY

Old 05-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
i LOVE FARMERS CHEESE AND POT CHEESE an a native NYer....I find it all over same taste consistance ext....Been eating it since 1964 I guess I just happen to be VERY VERY LUCKY
If you love it so much, then get the name right. It is Friendship Farmer Cheese. There is no "S."

Old 05-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
If you love it so much, then get the name right. It is Friendship Farmer Cheese. There is no "S."

CHILL OUT make a big deal about a S grow UP

Old 05-01-2010, 05:07 PM

Meant no offense at all. But as I have already stated, Farmers Cheese is the name of another type of cheese that doesn't look or taste anything like Farmer Cheese. That could confuse other readers.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:15 PM

okay.... xo xo xo and i see your point about confusion.. do you ever put French Dressing on your Farmer or pot cheese...I do and it taste good.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Kanish....... potato kanish ask for one of those out side of NYC ....now I am getting hungry for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City