Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Home Page

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 26,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Actually, there was a lot TO like about Co-op City, especially when I was growing up.
Growing up there meant enough to me that I've had the first Co-op City web page for some 17 years, and I'm active on Cowboy's boards throughout their form (currently on Facebook.)

As I said, I loved the apartment. I.S. 181 got me to Bronx Science, and that got me the rest of the way. (Though I suppose I'd have gone to Science from JHS 114 too.) Are M.S. 180 and M.S. 181 still big feeders for Science? Truman HS was rough from the start, and I think it's gotten worse.

Where did it get me? Suburbia, where my kids didn't pick up any of the desperation and drive I had. Which I suppose (time will tell) means they will be less "successful" by the measures I used for myself, and more contented with their lives.

There are two different questions: Where do we wish our parents had moved c. 1970[*], and where should someone move today? NYC is such a different place than when I left in the mid=1980s that I haven't any idea. If I had $20,000 in the bank and had a family and wanted to live in NYC I suppose Co-op City would be as good an anyplace else I could afford, but I should at least consider if I have to live in or near NYC at all.

[*]They didn't have crystal balls, and couldn't have known which then-gritty Manhattan neighborhoods were going to become trendy and gentrified.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Well duh. Of course it comes out the maintenance.
Other places I'm sure charge maintenance and then charge you again for the other stuff.
I grew up on Benchley Place in a 3 bedroom with a terrace facing the water.
It was g r e a t.
Used to run the AC 24/7 in the summer while others in the Valley and elsewhere complained about their AC bill.
If I were still in NY, I'd move back to Co-Op before even looking anywhere else.

Anybody remember "Cappys" candy store in Dreiser Loop??
Lamstons in Bartow Mall?
Photophonix in Bartow mall?
The Exxon oil tanker that exploded?
Suicide turn on the way to section 5 BEFORE they put that dividing wall?
The "Spiderman burglar?--used to use a rope and swing down to the top apartments? I grew up with him.
The Fair on the greenway?

Ahhhh....the memories...
lol, your the one who said it was free...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City