Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,713 times

Advertisements

The NYPD. FDNY and EMS do not hire people who are deaf in one ear... Maybe you can get a clerk or maintance job in the local precinct or as a [rent a cop] security guard for a private company.

Last edited by Chichappens; 05-02-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,713 times
Interesting fact the main typist at the NYC Coroners office in NYC is blind and types out all the death certificates/reports etc. Not sure if she is still there. Charles Hirsch, MD told me very seldom did she ever make a mistake and when she did she new. He explained that when a person has a handicap with one of their senses the others become more aware of things.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:45 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,030,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Interesting fact the main typist at the NYC Coroners office in NYC is blind and types out all the death certificates/reports etc. Not sure if she is still there. Charles Hirsch, MD told me very seldom did she ever make a mistake and when she did she new. He explained that when a person has a handicap with one of their senses the others become more aware of things.
There's a huge difference between a blind typist and a person trusted with the safety of 8 million people.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:02 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
The NYPD. FDNY and EMS do not hire people who are deaf in one ear... Maybe you can get a clerk or maintance job in the local precinct or as a [rent a cop] security guard for a private company.
We know you are trying to help, but your posts sound more like bullying than advice. Please understand that this is no way to get anyone to listen to you. So harsh... Why is this thread triggering you so much? Sounds like you have a story somewhere there. Hollywood movies are not based completely on reality. If you sincerely want to help the OP then why not do some research on the subject instead to trashing him out? It may also be time to do a bit of research on the difference between constructive criticism and negative or destructive criticism.

OP, please don't let anyone wetblanket your dreams, but also do yourself a favor and find out all you can before you come here. NYC is not an easy city to live in, for anyone. There is a lot more to making your dream happen than finding an apartment and a bills-paying job on craigslist. Try to hear what is being said to you without letting it deter you. Explore all avenues before deciding that this is the one thing you will do. Seriously consider finishing school and going to college or a trade school. The job market is not very kind these days to people who lack experience and a degree or certification. You can do anything you put your mind to, but you also have to be willing to put in the effort to make your dreams come true, including knowing from all angles what you are getting yourself into.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:57 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
There was a case not too long ago where an applicant seeking appointment with the NYPD failed the general hearing test, but pursued the matter, and the New York Supreme Court ruled that Executive Law 296 applies in the case of a disability. What this means is, there is no answer with regard to hearing, for an otherwise qualified applicant, as it is the city's burden to prove with individualized testing that any hearing loss would interfere with the applicant's ability to perform the duties to which they would be assigned.

So, should the OP's hearing loss be an issue in the medical test, he has the right to have individual testing that proves whether or not the hearing loss would disqualify him, without the NYPD being in violation of an existing statute. It is not an immediate disqualification, and should not be a reason for him not to pursue a career path that he likes. It's great that he has goals at 17, at least in my opinion.

One other thing for the OP, look into John Jay College, which is part of the CUNY system. It's signifacntly less expensive once you establish residency in the city, and offers a variety of programs of study in criminal justice, forensics, and related disciplines at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels. John Jay College Of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York John Jay College of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York - Home

And, who knows how things may change in the future? Say, for example, you choose to pursue a program of study to become a member of the NYPD, but then find that you have an interest in forensics, or law, or a related area, there are many areas where you can still contribute in conjunction with the NYPD as a prosecutor, forensic investigator, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 AM

966 posts, read 2,444,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
There was a case not too long ago where an applicant seeking appointment with the NYPD failed the general hearing test, but pursued the matter, and the New York Supreme Court ruled that Executive Law 296 applies in the case of a disability. What this means is, there is no answer with regard to hearing, for an otherwise qualified applicant, as it is the city's burden to prove with individualized testing that any hearing loss would interfere with the applicant's ability to perform the duties to which they would be assigned.

So, should the OP's hearing loss be an issue in the medical test, he has the right to have individual testing that proves whether or not the hearing loss would disqualify him, without the NYPD being in violation of an existing statute. It is not an immediate disqualification, and should not be a reason for him not to pursue a career path that he likes. It's great that he has goals at 17, at least in my opinion.

One other thing for the OP, look into John Jay College, which is part of the CUNY system. It's signifacntly less expensive once you establish residency in the city, and offers a variety of programs of study in criminal justice, forensics, and related disciplines at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels. John Jay College Of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York John Jay College of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York - Home

And, who knows how things may change in the future? Say, for example, you choose to pursue a program of study to become a member of the NYPD, but then find that you have an interest in forensics, or law, or a related area, there are many areas where you can still contribute in conjunction with the NYPD as a prosecutor, forensic investigator, etc.
Brilliant. When I first came to NYC, with an MA in Education and an MFA in Drama--plus years of experience in the performing arts--I dreamed of being a professional theatre director and a theatre instructor. I did do quite a bit of work in the performing arts, as a director, performer, and instructor, but not enough to make ends meet. Life kept pointing me in another direction. Now I am a successful college instructor, who incorporates the performing and literary arts in the teaching of English, Literature, Poetry, Speech, Humanities, etc. I also write and perform poetry, sing, and curate/emcee gatherings for poets and musicians. My original dream was never realized, but my work expanded, my life expanded, and since I work with largely underpriveleged students my career is now about so much more than putting on a show. I would never have found my niche if all those Broadway and Off-Broadway doors had been opened to me. "When one door is closed many more is open," sings the late great Bob Marley.

OP, follow your dreams, but keep an open mind. The critics will always be there. Find the truth in what they are saying, keep what feels right to you in mind, and find supporters who will be real with you as you explore the pros and cons. Then do what you must do. Btw, it is not a bad idea to get a degree in a related field before you train to be a police officer. Since I work at two technical colleges, computer forensics comes to mind. There is financial aid, and pursuing a degree will open more doors for you. There are some very interesting articles on the growing need for computer forensics investigators in www.policechiefmagazine.org. Why not explore this as an option? You may also want to google "occupational outlook police officer." Here is an excerpt from the Occupational Outlook Handbook:

Jobs in local police departments that offer relatively low salaries, or those in urban communities in which the crime rate is relatively high, may be the easiest to get. Some smaller departments may have fewer opportunities as budgets limit the ability to hire additional officers. Bilingual applicants with military experience or college training in police science will have the best opportunities in local and State departments.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Nala8; 05-03-2010 at 05:12 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,242,895 times
closed for mod review

Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Thread reopened. Please stay on-topic and allow the OP to get information that can be helpful in college search and employment opportunities. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 PM

77 posts, read 210,616 times
Thankyou so much for all the help guys, it's greatly appreciated. And yeah, I will live in Staten Island. Thankyou so much for helping me out and guiding me in the right direction. Hopefully I'm able to do it, hopefully I get in, and hopefully my dreams will become a reality. I hate it here, I really do. But I mean, should I not be able to become an Officer, then I'll use my Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice to pursue a job where I can help the community in some way, shape or form. I want to serve the community in a positive way, on a good salary of course. My dream job is in the NYPD. I hope to God I can do it..

Old 05-05-2010, 03:04 PM

77 posts, read 210,616 times
Guys, right now I'm also looking into other career fields that I can also get into should my deafness be an issue, of course having to do with Criminal Justice, because I'm definitely going to do something where I serve the city of New York via Law Enforcement. Anyhow, should I not get into the NYPD, what else could I be? I'm looking at the career fields right now, and I actually like all of them, but what else could I be where deafness would not be an issue and I'd get good pay? Like the same, close to, or maybe more than an NYPD officer would receive?

Thankyou so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City