Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,191 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NY in a little over a month and am currently looking for sublets. I found a potential room in this location, but I am unsure about the area. Does anyone have any input? I might be coming in at lateish hours and I want to be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,617 times
This hood is LIVE during the summertime... meaning there will always be people outside. You can take that as a bad or a good thing.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
its the hood

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,750 times
172& Amsterdam is in Washington heights area. My wife and I lived around there for 5 years. I would NOT say it is a very nice area, espically for someone relocating from outside NYC, but safty should not be a big concern. It is a quite diversified community, with Hispanic and Latino Ameircan as majority. You might need sometime to get use to the overall enviroment, but after that you should be fine.
BTW, the rental price near 172nd street is relative low for a "manhattan" location. Do you have to live in Manhattan? Maybe try queens instead?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,873 times
Washington Heights. Safer than it was, best west of broadway, which this address is not. I'd say no. You're better off living in queens. Wash Heights is manhattan but barely.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,300 times
The Heights has gotten better, but as a previous member wrote, with Summer almost here you will see the streets and blocks more crowded. You could look a little more north around Dyckman Street. But again stay west of Broadway.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
You might be better off looking in Queens or parts of The Bronx where the rents might be even less and the neighborhoods much better. There is a bit of a premium on Washington Heights rents simply because it is part of Manhattan and a lot of newcomers think they have to live in Manhattan.

Many decent neighborhoods in The Bronx and Queens are not much further (or maybe even closer) to midtown anyway so it's sort of ridiculous to pay more or be in a crappy neighborhood just to say you live in Manhattan.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You might be better off looking in Queens or parts of The Bronx where the rents might be even less and the neighborhoods much better. There is a bit of a premium on Washington Heights rents simply because it is part of Manhattan and a lot of newcomers think they have to live in Manhattan.

Many decent neighborhoods in The Bronx and Queens are not much further (or maybe even closer) to midtown anyway so it's sort of ridiculous to pay more or be in a crappy neighborhood just to say you live in Manhattan.
Some parts of the hieghts look more gritty and more violent then some parts of the South Bronx. The best BRonx niegborhoods are further away from Manhattan and thats not good for Transplants because Transplants want to be close to the action of Manhattan. Your best bet is Queens most notably Astoria and Long Island city which has many single out of towners trying to make it here in nyc. Plus Astoria and Long Island city is far much more safer then washington hieghts were in summer time or even now its madness up there. But I have to agree its a shame to pay a high rent in crappy niegborhood while living in Manhattan!

Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Yeah the story with Washington Heights is that those blocks get jam packed with people when it's warm out. It resembles a zoo at times. But Dyckman street is the same thing to me. Inwood IMO is worse than the Heights.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:04 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I think I agree with you SuperMario.
I will never understand why some people would live in those neighborhoods but are afraid to set foot anywhere in The Bronx when much of The Bronx is much nicer and safer.Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City