U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM

48 posts, read 176,108 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to NYC this fall because I'll be attending NYU. I'm coming from LA (born and raised) so it will definitely be a big change, but I've visited family in NYC a lot so it won't be a shock moving here.

In LA there are a lot of video game stores (mom and pop ones) that sell incoming stock early, wondering if there are any in manhattan.

Much appreciated.

PS. In n Out > Five Guys
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,123 times
Video Games NY on East 6th Street in Manhattan. I just moved here to LA, and wondered the same thing about games stores here. Can you share any of your stores that get games early in LA? It would also be much appreciated.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM

28 posts, read 55,039 times
No just go to Gametop.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:16 PM

91 posts, read 543,403 times
independent game shops are usually more expensive than a retail chain store

Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 AM

518 posts, read 1,514,871 times
never saw a mom and pop game store in NYC - I live in Woodhaven Queens, and we have a mom and pop that rents/sells used/new titles, as well as rents movies. I don't know of any other place like it. We are very lucky. I get all of my games from this place. and they even buy them back if I dont want them anymore

Old 01-15-2011, 03:51 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,737,568 times
The top 15 U.S. gaming cities are as follows:
1. Seattle
2. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.
3. Atlanta
4. Detroit
5. Phoenix-Mesa, Ariz.
6. Washington, D.C.
7. St. Louis
8. Boston
9. San Diego
10. Philadelphia
11. Chicago
12. Dallas
13. Houston
14. San Francisco
15. New York

Nintendo News - Survey Ranks Top Cities in America for Video Gaming

Old 01-15-2011, 04:06 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,737,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowman809 View Post
Hi, I'm moving to NYC this fall because I'll be attending NYU. I'm coming from LA (born and raised) so it will definitely be a big change, but I've visited family in NYC a lot so it won't be a shock moving here.

In LA there are a lot of video game stores (mom and pop ones) that sell incoming stock early, wondering if there are any in manhattan.

Much appreciated.

PS. In n Out > Five Guys
Goodluck pal. Your better off making your own video game for Apples app store instead of opening an independent video game store in Manhattan. If you do plan on opening a video game store try to open a game store in the outer boroughs like in Bronx or Brooklyn. NYC is not a tech city compared to places like Seattle or Denver or the San Francisco area. No one in nyc has time to play games and if they do play games its usually mobile games, I'm not talking about Nintendo ds, but the Iphone other ios devices and blackberry. Many New YOrkers choose to play mobile cellphone games then any other form of gaming entertainment. A few years ago NYC came in last place for gaming while other smaller cities especially in tech and industrial fields came in first. My best bet make an iphone app for gaming. Casual gaming market always shifts platforms, ps2 then to wii, then to iphone and zynga on facebook. You think a hipster going to go to a gamestore to buy a game for his or her iphone? No. Try another city to open a gamestore. Im a proud owner of Xbox360, Wii, Ps3, DS, Psp, Steam and I play retro games on my android phone something iphone cant do unless there is an app for that! Sadly I dont have much time for video games no more either.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM

425 posts, read 919,619 times
Video Game Central in Howard Beach, NY (Queens)

there was a small hole in the wall store on Nassau Street behind J&R Music World back around 1997, may still be there, the place was great, I was able to get all my great Sega Saturn imports & Domestic games.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:07 PM

91 posts, read 543,403 times
there's also 3 mom and pop video game stores chinatown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City