Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:30 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times

Advertisements

4,000 new luxury condos sitting vacant - Crain's New York Business

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Why make them low income housing??? The last thing you need is to give some welfare families a free apartment in a luxury building.

The owners either need to lower the prices or make it truly affordable for mid to upper middle class families.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Let 1 roach in and before you know it, there's 2,3,4 and then we have an infestation problem in these luxury buildings. Never ever rent these luxury apartments to low income people despite the vacancy. If anything lower the price to entice the same demographic that once had the money before the recession hit.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I don't think we need more low-income housing. Remember the whole "the middle class is leaving" thing? We need more affordable housing to working/middle income, NOT low-income. You want to keep the people earning between $50,000-$100,000, but those are the ones leaving in droves. If you only cater to low-income and wealthy condo owners, the middle class will continue to disappear!!!!

I would either: A-Lower the price to make them affordable to the middle class via subsidies and/or B-Make them affordable rentals for the middle class

Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM

Here is another article about this. A Push To Lodge Homeless In Vacant Buildings - City Limits Magazine - CityLimits.org

Did anyone actually read this article? "In the South Bronx the average price per condo on the market is $943,514, but the average household income is $19,111." I would LOVE to know what condos are for sale in the South Bronx that are selling for, on average, almost $1,000,000. There aren't even ANY multifamily buildings (3 families or less) that have EVER sold for that price, or even marketed near that number. A glut of vacant, overpriced condos for $1,000,0000 in the South Bronx is a completely fabricated story, which draws into question the rest of the article and their "findings."

What we do have is a number of vacant AFFORDABLE HOUSING buildings, several by me in fact. The problem? These brand new buildings are restricted to those in the community, and with firm income requirements that are significantly higher than the community can afford. I think it's great to have them reserved for working/middle class people, but there are too few working/middle class residents here to fill all the buildings going up. The answer is not to confiscate them for the homeless, the answer is to allow ANY NYers who fit the criteria to live there. We all pay taxes for these affordable housing units, so every NYer should have access to them. If they aren't filled within 1 year, it should then be open to ANY NYer that meets the income requirements.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Here is another article about this. A Push To Lodge Homeless In Vacant Buildings - City Limits Magazine - CityLimits.org

Did anyone actually read this article? "In the South Bronx the average price per condo on the market is $943,514, but the average household income is $19,111." I would LOVE to know what condos are for sale in the South Bronx that are selling for, on average, almost $1,000,000. There aren't even ANY multifamily buildings (3 families or less) that have EVER sold for that price, or even marketed near that number. A glut of vacant, overpriced condos for $1,000,0000 in the South Bronx is a completely fabricated story, which draws into question the rest of the article and their "findings."

What we do have is a number of vacant AFFORDABLE HOUSING buildings, several by me in fact. The problem? These brand new buildings are restricted to those in the community, and with firm income requirements that are significantly higher than the community can afford. I think it's great to have them reserved for working/middle class people, but there are too few working/middle class residents here to fill all the buildings going up. The answer is not to confiscate them for the homeless, the answer is to allow ANY NYers who fit the criteria to live there. We all pay taxes for these affordable housing units, so every NYer should have access to them. If they aren't filled within 1 year, it should then be open to ANY NYer that meets the income requirements.

I agree with you Sobro. I live right behind some affordable housing buildings which are located on 136 street between willis ave and brown place. These affordable housing units were built and supported by bloomberg with bloombergs name on it. So far these buildings that were built for affordable housing no one has yet moved in to any of the units. The units have been vacant for the past two years. Im not even sure hipsters can afford to live there. This is the greatest housing crisis that we have in this city. The Homeless is continuously rising in the city, shelters are packed and here in this city we have thousands and thousands of vacant apartments, something is defiently wrong.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM

157 posts, read 394,759 times
Well, the problem with dropping the prices of these condo's is that the people who invested money in them will not make enough money to turn a profit, or a profit significant enough to satisfy their greed. Telling them to lower prices is like asking the teachers union or anyone else in the union to take a smaller pay check. It ain't gonna happen. Bloomberg is a horrible mayor who wants to leave behind a "legacy". A legacy of decaying, overpriced condo's! http://www.observer.com/2010/politic...s-pet-projects

Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Jaged you really believe Bloomberg is a horrible Mayor? The only person that can assert that Bloomberg is a horrible mayor is a person who just moved to NYC and only experienced 1 Mayor of NYC! Bloomberg has pioneered the biggest affordable housing initiative in NYC's history. He has pioneered the largest green movement in history with an emphasis on green/sustainable developments, green rooves, increased parkland, the million tree initiative, new pedestrain zones and bike lanes, etc. Under his tenure crime has dropped to record lows and remains there despite the collapse of the economy. He has invested billions in once "off-limits" neighborhoods like the South Bronx to reposition it as the future home of the working/middle class, and is focusing heavily on quality of life issues in NYC, with the implementation of the 311 system as one example, and rezoning areas for further residential and business development to make room and increase services for an anticipated increase in the population.

So if you want to talk about a bad Mayor, let's do that, but Bloomberg ain't it..far from it. Please tell me what mayor in the past 40 years has come close to achieving anything remotely close to what Bloomberg has done for NYC, and is still doing.

As for dropping the price on the condos to make them more affordable, I am all for that!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
You want to keep the people earning between $50,000-$100,000, but those are the ones leaving in droves.
seriously! i'll take one of those units...

Quote:
In the South Bronx the average price per condo on the market is $943,514, but the average household income is $19,111
ridiculous

Old 05-14-2010, 03:00 PM

157 posts, read 394,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Jaged you really believe Bloomberg is a horrible Mayor? The only person that can assert that Bloomberg is a horrible mayor is a person who just moved to NYC and only experienced 1 Mayor of NYC! Bloomberg has pioneered the biggest affordable housing initiative in NYC's history. He has pioneered the largest green movement in history with an emphasis on green/sustainable developments, green rooves, increased parkland, the million tree initiative, new pedestrain zones and bike lanes, etc. Under his tenure crime has dropped to record lows and remains there despite the collapse of the economy. He has invested billions in once "off-limits" neighborhoods like the South Bronx to reposition it as the future home of the working/middle class, and is focusing heavily on quality of life issues in NYC, with the implementation of the 311 system as one example, and rezoning areas for further residential and business development to make room and increase services for an anticipated increase in the population.

So if you want to talk about a bad Mayor, let's do that, but Bloomberg ain't it..far from it. Please tell me what mayor in the past 40 years has come close to achieving anything remotely close to what Bloomberg has done for NYC, and is still doing.

As for dropping the price on the condos to make them more affordable, I am all for that!
Bloomberg reminds me of Robert Moses. We shouldn't be over-gentrifying in this economy because we will be left completely bankrupt. Focus on what we have for now and wait till the economy is better. Why do you think all of these condo's are vacant?

Bloomberg is a rich and selfish person who only cares about what the history books will write about him, and not about what is the right thing to do. He creates blight himself. People have come up with a name for these unfinshed and vacant projects, they call it "bloomblight". So now can you see why he is actually a bad mayor? Not a bad person per say, he doesn't want people to suffer, but he is pretty selfish in my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City