Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I don't think that New Yorkers aren't all that bad. The problem is that there are a lot of transplants to DC who display such invasive and snobbish attitudes, and a fair amount of them are from the NYC Tri-State area (but to be fair, that's the case with a lot of transplants from other places as well).
Reading this posting inspires me to make the following recommendation: come to Brooklyn!

As a native son of the borough, I can tell you that we have a long and honorable history of disdain for the snooty attitude you mention. It often emanates from Manhattan, residents of which borough like to think they're the center of the known universe, and accordingly look down their noses at the other four boroughs. (We've been infested in recent years by Manhattanite transplants. But when you're dealing with real, honest-to-God Brooklynites, hey, no problem!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I think that the poster who said to avoid areas east of Lexington meant to say west, since Park, Madison, and Fifth are the wealthier areas of the UES.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Reading this posting inspires me to make the following recommendation: come to Brooklyn!

As a native son of the borough, I can tell you that we have a long and honorable history of disdain for the snooty attitude you mention. It often emanates from Manhattan, residents of which borough like to think they're the center of the known universe, and accordingly look down their noses at the other four boroughs. (We've been infested in recent years by Manhattanite transplants. But when you're dealing with real, honest-to-God Brooklynites, hey, no problem!)
Doesn't it depend on which part of Brooklyn? Always hearing things about the annoying people of Park Slope. And Williamsburg is full of attitude, though it isn't exactly snootiness but rather hipster snobs where everyone is always trying to out-hip everyone else.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
To be perfectly honest, I don't know if NYC is going to be the answer for you. While NY tends to have more "realness" due to it being a more diverse city rather than a power capital like DC, the snootyness is more than in enough abunadnce here. Remember, there's Wall St, The Fashion Industry and lots of Blue Bloods to boot. The dating scene will not be better, since the women will expect you to be pulling down big moolah. If you're not, then don't even go out, 'cuase it's not happening. Second, while the uptightness dies down, that's more than replaced by the Hipsters Henna mentioned as well as the yuppies.

Oh, and since you've posted on this before: Yes, NYC does have a very active thug set as well, so sadly you're not going to escape that either.

Honestly, there's no where on earth where judgemental attitudes aren't in full effect. If it's not one thing, it's another. Maybe we're all just wired to be haters

Old 05-13-2010, 01:06 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
What neighborhood? I really liked Cleveland Park (where I lived)...also Woodley Park and Dupont Circle are nice areas.
I live in the Columbia Heights neighborhood, where for the most part, every major cultural and social group of DC coincides...and it couldn't be anymore worse.

The neighborhoods you mentioned are decent and are a lot more tolerable than where I live, but are very expensive.

Quote:
NYC will still require a big effort to meet people, but I think you'll be motivated since it will be new to you.
I realize that. Problem is in DC, particularly in the places for people in their 20s, it just seems more difficult than expected. Some of the areas are laid back and down to earth, but those are located in some of the suburbs where it's mostly families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
To be perfectly honest, I don't know if NYC is going to be the answer for you. While NY tends to have more "realness" due to it being a more diverse city rather than a power capital like DC, the snootyness is more than in enough abunadnce here. Remember, there's Wall St, The Fashion Industry and lots of Blue Bloods to boot. The dating scene will not be better, since the women will expect you to be pulling down big moolah. If you're not, then don't even go out, 'cuase it's not happening. Second, while the uptightness dies down, that's more than replaced by the Hipsters Henna mentioned as well as the yuppies.

Oh, and since you've posted on this before: Yes, NYC does have a very active thug set as well, so sadly you're not going to escape that either.

Honestly, there's no where on earth where judgemental attitudes aren't in full effect. If it's not one thing, it's another. Maybe we're all just wired to be haters
I realize that, and I'm not necessarily looking to socialize in NYC. This is just for a few visits to check out and tour the city in general. It's just that I realize that I need to get away from the same ol' song and dance known as Washington, DC, even if it is just for a day.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 05-13-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

I realize that, and I'm not necessarily looking to socialize in NYC. This is just for a few visits to check out and tour the city in general. It's just that I realize that I need to get away from the same ol' song and dance known as Washington, DC, even if it is just for a day.
I don't really get it. You want to come here as a tourist and you're worried that the people you encounter during your tourist visit might be cliquish, snooty, passive agressive and holier-than-thou? It sounds like you are being kind of paranoid.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't really get it. You want to come here as a tourist and you're worried that the people you encounter during your tourist visit might be cliquish, snooty, passive agressive and holier-than-thou? It sounds like you are being kind of paranoid.
The OP said the people in DC behave that way and is asking if they are the same in NY.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM

324 posts, read 572,457 times
I think the generalizations about the people in NYC is that they are more... "rougher". As in, more rougher around the edges and less polite. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are meaner but they just don't have as many polite mannerisms compared to individuals in the South.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
The OP said the people in DC behave that way and is asking if they are the same in NY.
I know that, but he subsequently said he only wants to know for an intended tourist trip to NY, not because he's thinking of moving here or plans to socialize here. I still think that is paranoid. You are free to disagree, of course!

Old 05-14-2010, 02:06 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I think the generalizations about the people in NYC is that they are more... "rougher". As in, more rougher around the edges and less polite. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are meaner but they just don't have as many polite mannerisms compared to individuals in the South.
That's a fair analysis, and something I can deal with. As long as the personalities aren't as uptight in a snooty, passive-aggressive, and self-absorbed way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City