Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,834 times

Advertisements

Well I was passing by today and saw a furniture delivery being made to building number 508, so there are tenants in the building already, I can't wait to see the finished product, it looks like it's gonna be an impressive structure/design..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 PM

18 posts, read 45,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Well I was passing by today and saw a furniture delivery being made to building number 508, so there are tenants in the building already, I can't wait to see the finished product, it looks like it's gonna be an impressive structure/design..
I haven't seen anything like it in the Bronx. Very nice. All these years I've been working hard and dreaming of leaving. It's making me second guess my plans a little.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBroLady View Post
I haven't seen anything like it in the Bronx. Very nice. All these years I've been working hard and dreaming of leaving. It's making me second guess my plans a little.
LOL I hear you. Right now I live in VA Beach. However, in the future I am going to move back to NYC. Nothing compares to it.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 AM

18 posts, read 45,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
LOL I hear you. Right now I live in VA Beach. However, in the future I am going to move back to NYC. Nothing compares to it.
AHAHAHA! I have a theory about people born and raised in NY. Many of them can't live anywhere else. I actually HOPE I'm wrong.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:06 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBroLady View Post
I'm pretty proud of the Boricua Village project. After so many years of seeing that area abandoned and desolate, the development will finally breathe new life to the 3rd Av/163rd St area.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:08 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,421 times
Why would Boricua be a tacky name? Boricua comes from the name of the local native Indians in Puerto Rico. Out of pride, Puerto Ricans call themselves Boricuas. Are you saying Puerto Ricans are a tacky people. And it's the Bronx, not Park Ave on the UES. Jeeze...people don't even realize the prejudice that comes from out from them sometimes. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK...or type in this case.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post
Isn't boricua a slang term?....also, if this were built in a white neighborhood and aptly named.....people would be crying racism.
There are ethnic names all over the city. Are we going to go around re-naming everything? Plenty of stuff named after White people or "White things" or events.

The word Boricua by the way comes from Boriken which is the original name the Natives of Puerto Rico had for the Island. Hence the terms Borinquenos or Boricuas to describe the residents of Puerto Rico. Personally I don't love the name but not because it's "tacky" or "slang", which it is not. I just think it would have been nicer to name it after someone or something more specific to the history of the area or the Bronx in general...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-23-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 AM

169 posts, read 489,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
There are ethnic names all over the city. Are we going to go around re-naming everything? Plenty of stuff named after White people or "White things" or events.

The word Boricua by the way comes from Boriken which is the original name the Natives of Puerto Rico had for the Island. Hence the terms Borinquenos or Boricuas to describe the residents of Puerto Rico. Personally I don't love the name but not because it's "tacky" or "slang", which it is not. I just think it would have been nicer to name it after someone or something more specific to the history of the area or the Bronx in general...
Well then, I am correct. "Boricua" IS slang....slang for the proper word which is "Boriken"....according to you.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
Melissa..it's not that serious...feel free to turn your disinterest to other slang/nickname derived places all over the city, like "Cousin Brucie Way" for 6th and 52nd street, or "Brother Jimmy's" restaurants, or "Pio Pio" restaurants (a pio pio is the sound a chick supposedly makes). We name things, places, developments, foods, clothing after all sorts of things...so I don't know why it matters? I get that you don't like the name and would have liked a different name, I don't like the name Melissa...but who cares.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 10,284 times
i want to interview in april. i was told that i am approveD for 2 bed room. last week, i got phone call that they cannot approve the apartment because one of the household member was not present for interview. which is crazy. why didnt she tell me this when i want to the interview, and all my document were ok. the next day i received the denial letter stating that MY APPLICATION HAS BEEN WITHDREW UPON MY REQUEST. WHICH IS TOTALLY A LIE. I THINK THERE IS SOME FRUED AND DISCRINATION GOING ON. WHAT SHOULD I DO? ANYONE WITH SIMILAR PROBLEM. BY THE WAY, I STILL QUALITFIED WITH OUT THE 3RD PERSON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: