Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 24,145 times

Advertisements

I may need to commute from lower east side in manhattan to great neck/manhasset long island for a new job. Is this a doable commute? Which route should I take for the shortest commute? I looked up google map and mapquest both of which are showing 23-29 min commute, but I am not sure if I can believe that.

The other option would be moving to long island. As much as I dislike the idea of moving to LI, I may have to do that since I have a small child and I would like to spend time with him.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I would try to avoid the BQE, though it does tend to make the return trip easier, via Brooklyn. Outbound, I might recommend taking the tunnel as it would put you on the LIE without navigating the BQE. 30 minutes is an optimistic number, but I'd say that 45-60 minutes would be about right for that commute, on average. With little traffic, I have been able to get from Park Row to Great Neck in about 30 minutes, at reasonable speeds, so it is within the realm of possibility, but Manhattan or BQE traffic can be slow in the mornings, as I'm sure you know.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM

10 posts, read 24,145 times
I am sorry this is probably dumb but, which tunnel are you suggesting outbound? I never drove in NYC, so not so familiar with the traffic etc.

And on the way back, do you have any suggestions?

Another option might be moving somewhere in queens to have a shorter commute. Any neighborhoods that you may recommend?

Thank you.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
The Queens Midtown Tunnel,take E 36th St. $5.50 is the toll. That will take you straight into the LIE,get off exit 33(Great Neck) or exit 35(Manhasset)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: