U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 AM

239 posts, read 691,957 times

Advertisements

Yea I just want to know anyone from Brooklyn or New York in general whats your favorite neighborhood in Brooklyn and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:53 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,183,844 times
I grew up in Propsect Heights only a step away from Park Slope and of course these were my favorite neighborhoods growing up in the 80/90's. Even in the 80/90's Park Slope was really nice in comparison to it's neighboring hoods. Six Avenue, 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue all the way to Prospect Park isn't really all that much different than what it is now due to it's historical up-keep of the area. Some of the side streets did have some altering changes but not very drastic. 7th Avenue did have many more mama & papa shops back in the days now replaced by your Barnes & Noble/Starbucks/Radio Shack, etc. 5th and 4th Avenue were once the less desirable areas of Park Slope, which had a heavily latin/minority population similar to Prospect Heights, but that populus is almost not existent. Only in the beginning's of 2000 years was 5th Avenue transformed into the bar/lounges/cafe which you see now. 4th avenue now following its path but in a way surpussing the change drastically with new condo high rises being built. Unlike Park Slope, Prospect Heights has gone through a dramatic change from the Atlantic Malls been built and the old Daily News building becoming luxury lofts to an old brownstones being converted to luxury condos buy just repolishing the front?
I've seen these neighborhoods change and grow faster than some people see their children so that is why they will always have a place in my heart as my favorites.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 05-14-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 PM

467 posts, read 1,803,031 times
Park Slope, where I live, is my favorite neighborhood. I prefer the neighborhood south of 9th street, down to 23rd street (which is considered South Slope or Greenwood Heights, depending on who you're talking to). North of there is stroller haven, congested and more expensive.
I also really love Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens, again, in the parts that have less car and foot traffic.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 PM

415 posts, read 1,340,562 times
Greenpoint.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM

46 posts, read 159,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
Greenpoint.
I think you may have forgotten the "why" part....

Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 AM

42 posts, read 123,549 times
I would say Park Slope (because I think it has one of the best mixtures of families, young people, and diversity, proximity to the magnificent Prospect Park, some of the most beautiful brownstones in the city and a slightly slower pace than neighborhoods like Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill or Fort Greene), BUT it seems like everyone and their uncle has been discovering how great Park Slope is in the last ten years.

So you know what? Clinton Hill.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,795,664 times
Coney Island

Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM

988 posts, read 3,093,464 times
I live in Greenpoint but Fort Greene is my favorite. It has a good vibe, nice restaurants, and a non-pretenious population. I like the mix between the older residents that's been there and the newcomers.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:20 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,315,773 times
I grew up in Flatbush in the late 60's/early 70's way back when it was a beautiful neighborhod. My Dad's family all lived in Greenpoint (still do), so I know that area well. Brooklyn Heights has always been one of my favorite places in the entire ciy. For a historical buff like me, the area is a walking history lesson. The old brownstones are beautiful and the tree-lined streets on a quiet evening are great for a stroll. My parents had their wedding reception at the Hotel St. George which certainly has lived a life, full of stories. I guess you can tell that Brooklyn is my favorite borough! And yes - Prospect Park has a lot of happy memories for me too.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 AM

415 posts, read 1,340,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsarne View Post
I think you may have forgotten the "why" part....
Safe, close to the city, cheap, places to go and people to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City