Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:56 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,972,223 times

Advertisements

...can pronounce "gyro" (as in the Greek food)?

For a city that is so international and so diverse, I'm just in total shock that even the Greeks here seem to pronounce it "JI-ro."

I wouldn't have thought it a big deal, but I've just been incorrectly "corrected" for the third time.

We're not talking about a bizarre or unpopular dish that just made it to America here people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 03:06 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
It's weird, isn't it. It's more upsetting if one actually speaks any Greek, because the pronounciation is so far off. One thought is that the people who actually sell the stuff aren't necessarily Greek.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM

111 posts, read 392,338 times
How is it pronounced? I've never put much thought in it but I just pronounce it Gy (as in Thai) Ro (as in Row). Is that incorrect?

Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 PM

53 posts, read 175,975 times
Because it seems that there is more than one rule, and in general the Americans pronounce almost every word from another language the English way.
For "gyro" pronunciation :
LINGUIST List 6.1641: "Gyros" Pronunciation
Merriam-Webster Pronunciation

Old 10-04-2009, 03:37 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,972,223 times
It's pronounced "yeer-oh" (rolled r, swallowed oh) and actually I was always told the word is actually Gyros (yeer-ohs).

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that is somewhat off too, but I know for a fact it most certainly isn't pronounced JIE-roh like everyone here seems to want to pronounce it.

I posted this after I just called in an order for delivery and the girl who answered the phone had to hand the phone to a manager because she had no idea what a yeeroh sandwich was.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Americans have never bothered to pronounce foreign looking or foreign sounding words the way they should be pronounced.We make it up or go for whatever sounds comfortable.
Many immigrants had their names changed on them by customs officials who decided to spell names however they wanted.Other immigrants just gave up and changed their names because nobody could pronounce them.
And nobody has mucked up the beauty of the Italian language more than the Italian Americans themselves by lazily dropping vowels at the end of words like the A in mozzarella( mozzarell) and in Ricotta(rigott) or pronouncing terracotta as terra codder or terra code a instead of terra coat ta .

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-04-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
It's funny. I have noticed that, too. Recently back in Madison, yesterday I went to the old Parthenon Greek restaurant on State Street with a friend and was relieved to find that everyone pronounced it "yeero." Ok, very little rolling of the "r" but still closer to being accurate. If I had money for every time I had been "corrected" on my pronunciation in NYC, I'd be doing all right.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:13 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It's weird, isn't it. It's more upsetting if one actually speaks any Greek, because the pronounciation is so far off. One thought is that the people who actually sell the stuff aren't necessarily Greek.
Being Greek can't have anything to do with it.. all the Greeks in Astoria pronounce it "jie-row" as well, as does pretty much anyone else. It must be an American thing... sometimes words take a different pronunciation when they're said in English, rather than the native language, regardless of correctness.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Correct pronounciations in other languages have little meaning in this town. (There's a street in Brooklyn named for the Polish nobleman who came here to fight on our side during the Revolution. That street is spelled "Kosciuszko." Do you know how that's pronounced in Polish? Well...fuhgeddaboudit! Because if you don't say Kos-ki-OS-ko, nobody will have any idea what you're talking about).

Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
...can pronounce "gyro" (as in the Greek food)?

For a city that is so international and so diverse, I'm just in total shock that even the Greeks here seem to pronounce it "JI-ro."

I wouldn't have thought it a big deal, but I've just been incorrectly "corrected" for the third time.

We're not talking about a bizarre or unpopular dish that just made it to America here people.
I take it you are a fellow Greek? I'm also always appalled how people can't pronounce the Greek foods the proper way. They don't even try. I mean, people don't go into a Del Taco, and ask for a "tor-tilla", or a "kes-a-dilla"... why do they have to pronounce gyro the wrong way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City