U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 9,133 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

We're moving to Florida in early June. We need to rent a truck. We've considered Penske/U-Hal/Budget/etc. but all of these we need to drive ourselves or hire someone.

My cousin recently moved out to CA and they hired a guy who owns a tractor trailer (an 18 wheeler). He paid $2,500 for the whole truck (EIGHTEEN WHEELER - that's huge!). Of course they had to pack on their own, but for the price of the truck and they didn't have to drive themselves, it was well worth.

The man who owns the truck is an individual (not a company or incorporated) but he is licensed to do Interstate moves. My cousin moved about 3 years ago. I called the man he rented the truck from but he retired!! And sold all his trucks so he's no longer in the business.

That's a BIG disappointment for us. Especially since we waited for last minute! We need your help, PLEASE.

If you know of any trustworthy individuals who does Interstate moves (especially from New York ro Florida) please reply or send me a message. Please leave a name and number, and where they are located or based (send me a message if you don't want to post this info). I will really appreciate your help. We'll need the truck by early June, and it can be smaller (not necessarily an eighteen wheeler).

It can be local companies too who does Interstate moves. We're basically trying to avoid driving 1,200+ miles ourselves.

I will really appreciate all your help everyone. Thank you so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 15,506 times
Have you considered getting a relocube/Pod or 2 for your move? I'm not sure how much you have to move but I moved a 1 bdrm apartment in 1 relocube from this company called UPack from NY to VA. It was a super super easy way to do a long distance move and a lot cheaper than the long distance quotes I got for someone to move it with a truck.

I had 4 hours to load it in NYC, and when it got to VA they left it for a few days for me to unpack it.

Just an idea.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 15,506 times
By the way I paid I think $850. All the moving quotes I got for someone to do it in a truck were like $1700 - 2500. That same company also has a tractor trailer option where you only pay for the space that you use. I don't know that might be something for you to look into.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 PM

769 posts, read 1,903,423 times
You might want to get quotes from companies in FL, it might be cheaper than quotes from companies in NY. Everything is cheaper down here...lol.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:20 PM

16 posts, read 33,219 times
Try freightcenter

Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM

12,348 posts, read 23,551,935 times
Please tread carefully. I know you are trying to do your homework by asking on this board, but NY and Florida have some of the biggest moving scams in the business (due I believe to laws in these two states). So whatever you do, please please check the company prior to hiring on Moving Company Black List

That site also probably has some good advice on hiring movers.

I was almost scammed during a move to NY; the company was based in FL but had sub-contracted to the most horrible men I may have ever met. It was during this time that I found out the sad info about NY and Florida having the most lenient laws for moving-scammers.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,133 times
Thanks everyone for your advise. We've decided to go with a rental, and pay someone to drive it down. Ends up costing us $2,100 but we got 24ft truck, and at your convenience for loading and unloading. Thanks again

Old 12-17-2014, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
What company did you use for $2100 for a 24 ft truck?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM

144 posts, read 296,116 times
i do not have a recommendation, however PLEASE AVOID infinity moving & storage. they are scammers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City