Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM

142 posts, read 504,987 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when the vote is scheduled to either cancel or continue vacancy decontrol? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wevi View Post
Does anyone know when the vote is scheduled to either cancel or continue vacancy decontrol? Thank you in advance!

I vote for continuing vacancy decontrol for bettering the future of NY and its housing stock. Shame on anyone who votes to cancel vacancy decontrol.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
I vote for continuing vacancy decontrol for bettering the future of NY and its housing stock. Shame on anyone who votes to cancel vacancy decontrol.
Don't have a stroke Victorfox but this law looks like a Rollback from Walmart.

In the "memo" section
Quote:
Vacancy decontrol is an incentive for owners of rental housing to
withhold services and to use forms of harassment to induce regulated
tenants to vacate their rental units. In some instances, costs of
renovation have been inflated or even falsified in order to drive
apartment rents to the $2,000 threshold for vacancy decontrol. In
other cases no renovations at all are done to vacant apartments and
such apartments are treated as deregulated regardless of the legal
rent. Such abuses are made possible by the existence of the vacancy
decontrol laws.
It's already passed the assembly, going to the senate. I think the limit is going from 2K to 5K. I am to say the least amused. Oh, a link for you.
Bills

Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Thank you for posting the bill link! Do you know when the final vote is supposed to happen?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Default Greenpoint?

Why is Greenpoint so seemingly inexpensive? (I saw one ad - 3 br for $925!) Is it because it's a very long commute? Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wevi View Post
Thank you for posting the bill link! Do you know when the final vote is supposed to happen?
No way of knowing. It appears to be in "Housing, Construction and Community Development", probably a committee in the State Senate. I would expect the NYC contingent in the Senate will wait until they can get some serious publicity mileage before they bring it to the floor for a vote.
Wevi, I noticed in a previous post you were offered 10K for your apartment? Wondering if you consummated that deal because this law will negate a lot of those deals unless I'm interpreting it wrong.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM

I don't get it. Why do away with deregulation? I don't understand the big deal and why tenants cry about it. Even if the legal rent reaches 2K or more a month, that doesn't mean the landlord is going to charge that high of a rent. With the exception of prime Manhattan, no outer borough charges more than 2K a month in rent unless its afluent neighborhood like Riverdale in the Bronx but neighborhoods like this make up a real small percentage of the total of the Bronx.

There are way more low and middle class neighborhoods in NY than afluent ones. So to charge rents 2K or more in these neighborhoods is happening so why cry about it?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 PM

this bill is sponsored by Assemblymember Linda B.Rosenthal Assembly district 67 Upper West Side. Here's a map. You can guess what the average rent is in this part of Manhattan.
New York State Assembly - Member Section
I actually have some sympathy for Landlords. It seems punitive.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
this bill is sponsored by Assemblymember Linda B.Rosenthal Assembly district 67 Upper West Side. Here's a map. You can guess what the average rent is in this part of Manhattan.
New York State Assembly - Member Section
I actually have some sympathy for Landlords. It seems punitive.
But isn't the Senate smart enough to realize that such a law will negatively impact the outer boroughs? NYC consist of 5 boroughs not just Manhattan. Because rents are high in Manhattan doesn't mean you have to pass a law that not only will effect Manahattan but the outer boroughs too which high rents don't apply.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM

ModSquad, No I haven't accepted the deal. I've been hoping the recession would ease up so that I could get my old income back and stay where I am. That's really what I'd like to do. And it seems pretty hard to find anything for under $1200 unless you quadruple your commute. As I'm sure you know, moving in NYC can be daunting. There's an occasional $1000 studio in Woodside or something, which is a doable commute, but those seem to be rare. Do you know Greenpoint is so inexpensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City