Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,586,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
Ever notice how if you look for opinions about dating in NYC of men as opposed to women - the women are consistently much less content in them? It's the high female to male ratio and the fashion industry....just my 2cents.
Also the gay populaton. They're disproportionally male and there's lots of them here. (I've never hung out with more gay dudes in my life since moving here, but they're almost always fun so why not...)

Although it does seem like there are many women here, I've never gotten impression meeting them was any more of a cakewalk here for the average straight guy than anywhere else. In Manhattan especially women often seem artificially aloof and impossible, like someone pulled them aside and told them thats how they were supposed to act here or something. I dunno, I think people are a victim of themselves most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM

807 posts, read 2,257,491 times
Im a 27 y/o male and when I visit from the west coast I LOVE NYC girls because they come to ME! Its not like that in the mostly-male Left coast. And the girls TRY really hard which is refreshing compared to WC girls that expect you to fawn over them because they managed to be charming for 5 seconds. NYC is awesome if you're a young guy. (But I wonder if it was mostly due to the novelty factor that I was from out of town...I don't know).

Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM

186 posts, read 218,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
I have to say that it all depends on two things:

* Your age
* Your relationship goal

If you are young and just to want to have fun, NYC offers variety of people to have fun with.

If you are not young (not necessarily mean old) and want to have something more than just casual dates, you will have a hard time, finding a desirable partner (This may be true anywhere, not just NYC).

If you are older than 35 and still single and want to live in NYC, you will only meet people who are either not capable of having a relationship or want to remain single forever.

Just my 2 cents.

Atsushi
Your 2 cents is the same as my 2 cents and others..consensus seems to be don't expect to find Mr. Right in NYC, just Mr. Right Now. Mr. Right? Probably a guy too nice for the city and lives in a small town somewhere in the midwest

Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Not in most cities but it is in New York if take the train.
Yeah, the poster obviously never took the E or F or V line before. I mean jesus h christ, Christian friggin Pitt isn't worth that torture:

Walk to train station. Walk up stairs, regretting the day you took up smoking. Wait for train. Push past crowd of people getting on train/get jostled and hope to get seat. Long ride with no seat, being jostled by people moving through train. Get off train, getting jostled by more people. Walk down stairs, regretting the day you took up smoking. Walk to location/wait for/text aforementioned romantic partner while guiltfully smoking a cigarette and being jostled by more people and if a particularly bad day, get harassed by a midget and/or ubiquitous homeless schizophrenic guy who thinks your name is Claudia and met you on another street corner last week. (He may very well turn out to be a more entertaining date than this one and most certainly less flaky and less afraid of monogamy.)

Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Im a 27 y/o male and when I visit from the west coast I LOVE NYC girls because they come to ME! Its not like that in the mostly-male Left coast. And the girls TRY really hard which is refreshing compared to WC girls that expect you to fawn over them because they managed to be charming for 5 seconds. NYC is awesome if you're a young guy. (But I wonder if it was mostly due to the novelty factor that I was from out of town...I don't know).
Oh god... Have I wasted my youth and prime fertility years in a place I have no hope of being treated decently in?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:49 PM

23 posts, read 100,874 times
from 1 to 10 i'd give it a 1, dating scene out here is ****, everyone is picky for no reason

Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNZ20 View Post
from 1 to 10 i'd give it a 1, dating scene out here is ****, everyone is picky for no reason
lol.

I at least gave it a 5, for being a 50:50 proposition.

Picky is right. Even the most unlikely candidates.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Also the gay populaton. They're disproportionally male and there's lots of them here. (I've never hung out with more gay dudes in my life since moving here, but they're almost always fun so why not...)

Although it does seem like there are many women here, I've never gotten impression meeting them was any more of a cakewalk here for the average straight guy than anywhere else. In Manhattan especially women often seem artificially aloof and impossible, like someone pulled them aside and told them that's how they were supposed to act here or something. I dunno, I think people are a victim of themselves most of the time.
My feeling is that this is a technique to ward off harassment and sort of keep to their own sense of worth in a place where that's tough. Also, the men here have the same attitude!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Its sad to see that the dating scene in NY is still pretty bad since I moved out 20 years ago. In my experience Ive found dating to be easier the further I got from NYC. For the money you spend for a club/bar you can do a low cost weekender out of the city. In my experience I met the best people from either the North shore on LI or from NJ south of New Brunswick. But I've also met most of the people I dated in conventional locations in NY. One woman I dated I met in line at the cashier for a salad bar. If you ask of your married friends they will most likely tell you that they met their spouses in a more relaxed environment

Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 AM

396 posts, read 1,007,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I find New Yorkers rediculously geo-centric when it comes to relationships. Rarely would friends in Manhattan date someone in Queens, or anyone on earth date anyone from Staten Island.

10-15 miles isn't a long distance relationship in my book.
This might because most "New Yorkers" who live Manhattan are not from NYC and come here because they are outcasts from wherever they came from. They have a very unrealistic view of life and this includes dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City