Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
There are a lot more than "half a dozen" great schools. I don't have the energy to post them, but go to greatschools.com.
and what chapter of the UFT are you in charge of?

you can do what you feel is right for your kids, if you have any.

my kids have done quite well in private schools and I know they would not have done as well in the publics, like I said many messages ago, it's not only about test scores, it's about training for life that and I know the publics cannot offer this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
roseba, excellent posts. Its nice to see somebody back up there words with facts and links. It was a pleasent change from the usual ramblings of "know it all' who try to pass off their opinion's as facts.

Once again....Bravo!!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
roseba, excellent posts. Its nice to see somebody back up there words with facts and links. It was a pleasent change from the usual ramblings of "know it all' who try to pass off their opinion's as facts.

Once again....Bravo!!
the purpose of these boards is to exchange information, she shared her views and I shared mine, there is no right or wrong, if she is satisfied by what the publics schools offer and the job they do educating her children then she is making the right choice for her family, I do not share her views and I chose a different path for my family, and I happy with the way things have worked out for me, I could post stats too but I'm not affecting her decisions and it would serve no purpose, people need to come to their own conclusions based on wahtever criteria they decide to use.

you probably don't have children and you certainly haven't added anything intelligent to this discussion.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The top flight private schools (in Manhattan, the ones I know best) REQUIRE three years of TWO foreign languages at the high school level, in addition to your basic history, English, math, biology, chemistry, etc. They also offer a huge variety of computer science, advanced calculus, studio art and other areas where other schools are lacking. How many public schools offer Mandarin as a language choice? I should also note that there's a requirement for 40 minutes of homework/subject/night...hardly seen elsewhere. And I'm a proponent of homework. It makes a student learn.

There is a tiny student:teacher ratio - the entire graduating class at my old school was 30. And THAT was divided into two sections, so at the MOST the student:teacher ratio is 15:1.

Plus there is a requirement for community service in many of these schools. And that's not seen in ANY public school.
What's is the ratio of top flight private schools vs. other privately paid schools in the NYC? 1%?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
the purpose of these boards is to exchange information, she shared her views and I shared mine, there is no right or wrong, if she is satisfied by what the publics schools offer and the job they do educating her children then she is making the right choice for her family, I do not share her views and I chose a different path for my family, and I happy with the way things have worked out for me, I could post stats too but I'm not affecting her decisions and it would serve no purpose, people need to come to their own conclusions based on wahtever criteria they decide to use.

you probably don't have children and you certainly haven't added anything intelligent to this discussion.
Yes. My criteria is looking at facts and statistics. Not just making up what I want to believe based on reading headlines in the NY Post.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM

314 posts, read 492,683 times
i'm 180 deg. from the other teacher who posted here. i'm a former NYC public school teacher who taught math in a SURR school, and i would absolutely send my kids to public school. first, the quality of the education is better. nyc public school teachers are better qualified than private school teachers. nyc has increased its public school funding dramatically in the past 10 years. my old HS had a 25 meter pool, a full restaurant-style kitchen for the culinary program, an auto mechanic shop, taught 8 foreign languages, and had math up through BC Calculus. name me one private school that extends that many opportunities to its students. there aren't any. second, public school kids are socialized better than private school kids. private school kids go to school with kids who are more-or-less like them. you don't have to learn how to get along with the dominican kids, the black kids, and the greek kids all together. public school kids face these issues everyday and learn to deal with them. third, public schools kids experience fewer life-changing problems. let me explain...yes, overall incident rates are higher in public schools. HOWEVER, those kids wind-up being very well adjusted. by and large, they don't become drunks, drug addicts, violent offenders, etc. this is because of the fact that public school kids deal with real problems everyday. private school kids don't. so, they invent problems to deal with. usually, those problems come in the form of a drinking problem, drug habit, or antisocial, criminal behavior. i've found the clique, alcohol, and drug problems to be much worse in private schools than public schools. and, this is exacerbated by the money that private school kids' parents throw at them. finally, public school is cheaper than private school. i'm sure there are other reasons...those were just the 4 that came to the top of my head. having said that, i've found that there is precious little that one can say/write to convince people who are biased in favor of private schools that public schools are better. most think that public school is full of animals and they their precious little johnny will be a lamb to the slaughter. it's just not so...but, what're ya' gonna' do?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
I have found that people who pay almost $30,000 per year for kindergarten have to justify spending this ridiculous amount. They HAVE to believe that public schools suck. I agree that not every public school is as good as ours (PS41), but we are hardly the only wonderful public elementary in NYC. I can see paying for private school from 6th grade up if your child does not get into one of the better and coveted public schools, but there are some amazing public elementary schools out there. I wonder what public elementary school the public hater is zoned for.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:03 PM

33 posts, read 182,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Very few people do, since the schools that trump great public schools have tuition upward of $30K per year. Your local private day school does not compare to those schools. It's like comparing Yale with The University of Pennsylvania and then exclaming that Briarcliff College or Manhattanville is better than the University of Pennsylvania (ranked one of the top business schools in the country) just because it is private. Being private doesn't mean it is better.
I don't get your reasoning. UPenn is private and one of the Ivy Leagues. Also, the business school within UPenn is Wharton. The other parts of Penn are all top ranked as well.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:36 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
One thing I will say about private school........It's a lot of money! And sometimes, a lot more money than should be required!

I went to public school as a kid, up to high school. I went to a prestigious private school during undergrad (Maxwell at Syracuse). In grad school, I got my MPA at Baruch!

Although I loved my undergrad experience at Maxwell, I have no regrets choosing Baruch over Maxwell when pursuing my MPA. First of all, I don't have $45,000 to spend, so I chose the cheaper public school. Second, one of the reasons I chose Baruch is that I wanted to know how a city really runs (read: New York). I got that and then some! In fact, in my first ever class, I had a professor and a practitioner. The professor is Doug Muzzio, one of the top political analysts in New York. The practitioner was Freedy Ferrer, former Bronx Borough Prez and former mayoral candidate.

Third, the professors at Baruch are still in the game, and are active in their profession, while much of the professors at Maxwell left the game a loooong time ago, sitting in their professor's chair teaching theory!

Overall, I got a bang for my buck at Baruch, and while I love SU, I have no regrets choosing a CUNY school over a prestigious private one.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
One thing I will say about private school........It's a lot of money! And sometimes, a lot more money than should be required!

I went to public school as a kid, up to high school. I went to a prestigious private school during undergrad (Maxwell at Syracuse). In grad school, I got my MPA at Baruch!

Although I loved my undergrad experience at Maxwell, I have no regrets choosing Baruch over Maxwell when pursuing my MPA. First of all, I don't have $45,000 to spend, so I chose the cheaper public school. Second, one of the reasons I chose Baruch is that I wanted to know how a city really runs (read: New York). I got that and then some! In fact, in my first ever class, I had a professor and a practitioner. The professor is Doug Muzzio, one of the top political analysts in New York. The practitioner was Freedy Ferrer, former Bronx Borough Prez and former mayoral candidate.

Third, the professors at Baruch are still in the game, and are active in their profession, while much of the professors at Maxwell left the game a loooong time ago, sitting in their professor's chair teaching theory!

Overall, I got a bang for my buck at Baruch, and while I love SU, I have no regrets choosing a CUNY school over a prestigious private one.
glad to see it worked for you, but you must realize that baruch is a unique school, you will not get such a great deal with most of the other cuny schools. I wouldn't give you a nickel for most of them, and employers don't put much value on cuny diplomas, excepting baruch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City