Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 AM

426 posts, read 2,316,486 times

Advertisements

I recently read an article in the New York Times about how hard it is to get into Manhattan private schools. I could not believe the length that parents will go to get their children into schools like Dalton and Trinity. Do any of you have kids in these prestigeous private schools. Do you think it's worthit? Are NYC's public schools really so bad that every middle class to upper class parent regardless of race feels the need to send their child to a private institution for a K-12 education?

Now, before I make it seem that I am against private schools, I wanted to say that I reside in the Vinings area of Atlanta and my kids go to The Lovett School, one if the best private schools in the South. I would say that about 80% of the families in my community and in neighboring areas send their kids to private schools. I know why we do it, I just wanted to know what the frenzy was about in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,842,947 times
I went to a NYC private school, as did my sister, as did all my nieces and nephews. For the simple reason that they're better than most of the public schools.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:28 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,070,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I recently read an article in the New York Times about how hard it is to get into Manhattan private schools. I could not believe the length that parents will go to get their children into schools like Dalton and Trinity. Do any of you have kids in these prestigeous private schools. Do you think it's worthit? Are NYC's public schools really so bad that every middle class to upper class parent regardless of race feels the need to send their child to a private institution for a K-12 education?

Now, before I make it seem that I am against private schools, I wanted to say that I reside in the Vinings area of Atlanta and my kids go to The Lovett School, one if the best private schools in the South. I would say that about 80% of the families in my community and in neighboring areas send their kids to private schools. I know why we do it, I just wanted to know what the frenzy was about in New York.
Because if you can afford to LIVE in upper Manhattan, then the obvious choice would be a private school for your privileged offspring.....

Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,045,902 times
I was fortunate and was able to send my children to a public school that limited its registration by entrance exam, and appears to be on par or perhaps better than many of the private schools. However, even today, I believe NYC in all 5 boroughs have several good public schools in the lower grades (K-6 or even K-8). High schools appear to be more challenging in the public sector borough-wide.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,835,332 times
if you live in lower Manahattan, the majority of those public schools will be easily comparable to any private school in the city, maybe even a little better.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,842,947 times
The public high schools, except for Stuyvesant, Hunter and Bronx Science, are in NO WAY comparable to private schools. I wouldn't say that ALL the public schools in lower Manhattan are good. Those in Chinatown have been some of the worst in Manhattan for a long time.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:04 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,045,902 times
I would love to know which schools you are referring to and how you define lower Manhattan. I lived in both the East and West Village and didn't find many of the schools acceptable, except for two or three--PS41 comes to mind in GV.

Curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
if you live in lower Manahattan, the majority of those public schools will be easily comparable to any private school in the city, maybe even a little better.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 AM

137 posts, read 1,002,115 times
I am a NYC public school teacher and I would never send my children to a public school (save a few elementary on the upper east/west side gifted programs or a specialized high school). People pay for private school to have some influence over their kids education. In regular towns parents influence the school board. Here there is no school board, just the city Dept. of Ed. Parents have very little control or influence. Private school is about community and the environment. Private school is very hard to get into but people forget about the less well-known quality private schools (for example, Alexander Robertson).

Old 06-19-2007, 12:19 PM

447 posts, read 1,581,699 times
or you can always send them to catholic schools which arent cheap but are cheaper than the alternative.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:36 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,889,885 times
I dont know about NYC schools..but my dh went to prep school from k---all the way to fordham prep..to fordham university..and some friends went to bronx science..his girl friends went all some all girls school I think in westchester. Says he wouldnt trade it for the world..and even on his resume..the Fordham Name stands out.

We are even sending our oldest to a reading program this summer sponsered and hosted by Fordham to give her a headstart. I would send kids to a private school in a heartbeat..but the public school in the district that we live in rivals the test scores..so it seems like a waste..but I am definately looking into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City