U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:22 PM

31 posts, read 83,485 times

Advertisements

hi. i will be starting my masters program at Hunter College this fall for Childhood Education. I would like to teach elementary school, however with all the budget cuts and layoffs Im hesitant to put all my energy and student loans into this program. I will probably be graduating in 2012 and am worried the situation may be worse then if not better...?

Is the situation truly bad as it seems in NYC? should i just stay in California and get my credential here while saving money and living with my parents? I think no matter where I end up (cali or nyc), I face the gamble of not finding a teaching job after completing the programs. If that were the case and I was in nyc I would have to find a job whether in advertising or administrative work to pay for rent and student loans, etc.

on a personal note, i love NYC and will miss it for sure. my girlfriend is in NYC and I have lived and worked in advertising here for the past 2 years and decided on this career change to become a teacher.

I am also worried about the school systems in nyc and whether Teachers enjoy teaching here in the city?

I know this post is all over the place. Sorry! but any opinions or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 01:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,980,841 times
I'm an elementary teacher in NYC, but none of us can really say what it will be like then. We don't even know what will happen by September as far as these rumored layoffs. Hopefully by 2012 it will be a bit better, but it will be rough for elementary teachers looking for jobs. It always has been. I got hired in 2007 and it was real competitive for us.

You will most likely have to start in a rough neighborhood. I'm in my 3rd year and I'm still unable to transfer to a nicer area. It does wear you out after a while, but if you want a job, you have to be willing to teach in a bad area for a few years.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:00 PM

9,136 posts, read 22,900,137 times
I am a NYC middle school teacher and I pretty much agree with everything Rachael says above about the uncertainty of employment for you in the immediate future.It appears fairly certain that there will be NYC teacher layoffs before September and there have been massive layoffs of teachers in surrounding districts already.My union rep has told us that anyone with less than 4 yrs seniority may be vulnerable.There will be a lot of good teachers with experience in the area competing for all openings for at least the next few years even if things start getting better.
When you start teaching in NY you will definitely go into a very rough neighborhood and it will not be easy.If you get through the first couple of years you may get to a point where you can transfer to an easier school but you may not want to.You might turn into an oddball like me who actually thrives in such a situation even though it is very demanding.
It is and will continue to be much easier to find a teaching position in NYC (and almost anywhere) if you get certified to teach special ed.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 PM

Thanks Rachael and bluedog!

And yes a lot of people are telling me ill start off in the rougher spots. But what does this really entail? What areas do you mean by rough/bad areas? Is it just the location or is it the students that are bad as well? What makes it such a challenge?

I can guess that it is both location and students..? Non-supportive staff and parents?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM

9,136 posts, read 22,900,137 times
You will likely be in a high poverty,high crime neighborhood where a lot of the kids live in very dysfunctional situations and have major emotional problems.Often the parents are unable to cope with anything so there is no help there.The kids can be very belligerent and disruptive,sometimes a little violent.I've been punched,kicked,screamed at .You name it.

It might not be as bad in elementary school because the kids are still sweet but in middle school they can be monsters...even worse than high school.You have to have a thick skin to deal with it.

With all of that said,I wouldn't leave my school for anything.The majority of the kids are not behavior problems and many of them are great and eager to move on to a better place in the world.Helping them achieve that is very rewarding.Nothing better than seeing one of your kids come from a deplorable environment and get into one of the specialized high schools and go on to a good college ! I have been teaching in The Bronx for 11 years and I actually really love it.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:52 PM

248 posts, read 836,262 times
I have to agree with everything the previous posters said..it is tough to get an elementary job even in "good" conditions here in NY...you can always sub or as Rachael said, start in a tough area...I would still kinda choose it in lieu of teaching in CA, from what I've heard...good luck with your decision!

Oh, and to answer your question about the challenges of tough neighborhoods-it's a combination of unsafe areas, parents who are not only non-supportive, but can be effectively non-existent. Sometimes you will actually get the best support staff and administration, sometimes you'll get an administrator who wants to run things like a business, but that can happen anywhere...again, I wish you the best of everything in your journey!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM

LIPumpkin - im curious to know your take on the situation in CA. I know that there have been lots of layoffs as well. And everything in CA is not looking too great right now. But I dont see much of a difference in regards to the teaching field and hiring opportunities when comparing to NYC

If anything, I think working in a rough area in CA would be less "rough" than those areas of NYC.

I dont know...I get nervous when thinking about teaching in a rough area in NYC. Especially because im a young, petite, Asian female from sunny Cali. haha! And the only thing Ive been exposed to so far living in NYC for the past 2 years is the advertising field and happy hours.

Honestly, its making me sway towards staying in California to teach.....
But another part of me is telling me to suck it up and grow some thick skin! haha

Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 PM

how does one go about being a substitute and how much do they get paid?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey10 View Post
Thanks Rachael and bluedog!

And yes a lot of people are telling me ill start off in the rougher spots. But what does this really entail? What areas do you mean by rough/bad areas? Is it just the location or is it the students that are bad as well? What makes it such a challenge?

I can guess that it is both location and students..? Non-supportive staff and parents?

It depends really...my first 2 years I was in the south Bronx, but honestly the kids were way better than how they are where I currently am in south Jamaica, Queens. I thought the south Bronx would be worse since it's a bit poorer. Most of the kids I taught in the S.Bronx were Dominican and Mexican. Most of the parents of these kids were really hard-ass. The kids' parents in Jamaica are generally more lax for some reason, so the kids seem to get away with a lot without punishment at home. So I guess it all depends on the area.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey10 View Post
I dont know...I get nervous when thinking about teaching in a rough area in NYC. Especially because im a young, petite, Asian female from sunny Cali.

I'm a skinny blond white girl and I've taught in rough neighborhoods. My husband is 5'4 and skinny and taught in Far Rockaway his first year. It's really all about how you carry yourself. It may help to look more intimidating, but anyone of any shape or color can control a class if they learn how to do it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City