U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,117 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for apartment to buy in either Forest Hills, Queens or Brooklyn. Since I have been living in Forest Hills for almost 10 years, I am familiar with this neighborhood. There are not many new condos in Forest Hills but seems many new buildings in Brooklyn so I would like to ask your opinion and comment for the comparison in these two boroughs.

Budget: $550k - $750k for condo and has saving for 20% down payment. Prefer newer buildings so I am not a fan of the pre-war coop in Forest Hills although some of them are well maintained and very beautiful. Forest Hills Garden is really nice but those houses are over my budget.

Family Member: Young couple with a daughter(14m) and a dog; hope to add another baby in a year or two. We need at least 2+ bedroom / 2 bathroom, 1,000+ sf. Could you compare the school in these two boroughs? I know PS196 or PS110 in Forest Hills is pretty good but not familiar with Brooklyn.

Work in midtown (53rd & Park Ave): Hope the door to door can be within 30mins. Currently I take E train from Forest Hills and it is very convenient so I am spoiled and hope to keep it the same.

Activity: I like running, biking and swimming and actively in triathlon training, so I hope the neighborhood can have convenient access to the parks, running/biking path and maybe swimming pools.

Preference: Quite family friendly neighborhood preferred. I like the suburban feeling of Forest Hills and it also has easy access to different restaurant and food. Don't know which neighborhood in Brooklyn is similar and comparable?

Last, I always have a question and need someone help. Is Queens normally been imaged as "lousier" borough than Brooklyn? Seems my co-workers (rich white man) in office usually will move from Manhattan to Brooklyn but Queens is the place they will never want to touch?

Thanks for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM

203 posts, read 634,497 times
So are you only thinking about moving to Brooklyn because your co-worker's think Queens is "lousier"
I always thought that single young people, usually from out of state tend to live exclusively in manhattan and brooklyn. But you've been in Forest Hills for 10 years and have a family...I don't know, I like stability...if you like FH, why not stay?
I think there are some newer buildings in FH...not as many as in downtown Brooklyn though.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM

46 posts, read 159,418 times
If you want to keep your short commute it's going to be difficult for you to get anything in Brooklyn that is in as nice a neighborhood as Forest Hills.

I'd say stay in FH and ignore what your co-workers might think :-)

Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,501,166 times
I like Forest Hills more than brooklyn neighborhoods. Considering where you work, FH would be an ideal commute since it probably takes about 30 minutes to get to where you are. Most people don't like Queens because they think it is more suburbia that Brooklyn, where some neighborhoods tend to be more commercialized. However, since you have a family, I think FH would be a better option.

Just a note, you have a reasonable budget, but there aren't as many 3-bedroom condos available, so you might have a harder time finding one that meets your requirements.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,122,777 times
Based on your needs and interests, and in an attempt to save money, I'd stay in Queens. Instead of Forest Hills, which has no parks, why don't you consider Fresh Meadows and, east of Francis Lewis Blvd, Oakland Gardens. There are a number of express buses that run through the area or you could take the bus to Queens Blvd. It's a very family-friendly neighborhood with a number of co-op/condo apartments and several single-family homes. I believe it is in school district #26 -- the best in Queens.
As for your co-worker, many people don't know what they're talking about when they give neighborhood advice. I suggest that everyone check things out on their own. How can another person judge your needs?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 PM

203 posts, read 634,497 times
There are parks near Forest Hills...Forest Park...although I guess its closer to Kew Gardens. Theres also flushing meadows park which is pretty close... I think you can find something in Forest Hills/Kew Gardens. Bayside/Fresh Meadows are nice too but for me...I don't like taking the bus. The E/F express is great.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
There are parks near Forest Hills...Forest Park...although I guess its closer to Kew Gardens. Theres also flushing meadows park which is pretty close... I think you can find something in Forest Hills/Kew Gardens. Bayside/Fresh Meadows are nice too but for me...I don't like taking the bus. The E/F express is great.
I hear ya. Many people would prefer to avoid a bus+subway combo but I wanted the OP to know about another option. Much of Fresh Meadows/Oakland Gardens is built around and through Cunningham Park, which has running and riding trails, tennis courts, baseball fields, and picnic areas right at your doorstep. It's a very nice neighborhood for families with young kids. Alley Pond Park is also close by on the eastern side of the neighborhood.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM

46 posts, read 159,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Based on your needs and interests, and in an attempt to save money, I'd stay in Queens. Instead of Forest Hills, which has no parks, why don't you consider Fresh Meadows and, east of Francis Lewis Blvd, Oakland Gardens. There are a number of express buses that run through the area or you could take the bus to Queens Blvd. It's a very family-friendly neighborhood with a number of co-op/condo apartments and several single-family homes. I believe it is in school district #26 -- the best in Queens.
As for your co-worker, many people don't know what they're talking about when they give neighborhood advice. I suggest that everyone check things out on their own. How can another person judge your needs?
The commute to Park Ave & 53rd from Fresh Meadows or Oakland Gardens is way longer than 30 minutes, which is what the OP asked for. The schools in those areas are great, and they are great for families, but not really close to Manhattan at all.

And saying that Forest Hills has no parks is not really accurate; Forest Park is close (technically, perhaps it's considered in Kew Gardens) and is fantastic for both running and biking, and Flushing Meadows Park is also very close.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 PM

988 posts, read 3,089,743 times
Look at Long Island City Queens, in the area of the Citibank building. You can jump on the E and take it one stop to 53rd and Lexington and just walk one block to Park ave. It's not quite family-oriented but its changing fast and I see more young families. It fits your budget and has mostly new construction as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City