Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,090 times

Advertisements

I did some research and approximately 10 - 13% of kids in Laurelton, Cambria Heights and Rosedale attend private schools for grades 9 - 12. In comparison, it is 16% for all of Queens.

Public high school options in Queens can be sketchy even in the most exclusive neighborhoods, so it's no wonder that you have a decent number of kids in private school throughout the borough.

My question: For children living in Laurelton, Cambria Heights and Rosedale, what are the private high school options in the area?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Hmm ... no feedback yet. Some parents have sent their kids to St. Francis Prep, Mary Louis Academy and Molloy HS but don't know any other schools. Can you recommend anything else in Eastern Queens? Commuting would be fairly easy to Jamaica, Queens Village, Kew Gardens-Briarwood, Bayside, Fresh Meadows. How about Nassau? It would be easy to travel to Valley Stream, Elmont or Floral Park.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:55 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,171 times
St. Mary's High School in Elmont, NY
Blessed Sacrement Middle School Valley Stream, NY
St. Francis Prep

How about Kellenburg? Holy Trinity? I don't know if those are easy to get to from Queens.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
St. Mary's High School in Elmont, NY
Blessed Sacrement Middle School Valley Stream, NY
St. Francis Prep

How about Kellenburg? Holy Trinity? I don't know if those are easy to get to from Queens.
Can't find St. Mary's on the internet. More info?
Does Blessed Sacrament have grades 9-12?
Kellenburg & Holy Trinity would be a bit too far.

Anyone been to Kew-Forest or have an opinion on it?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 AM

893 posts, read 2,862,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Can't find St. Mary's on the internet. More info?
Does Blessed Sacrament have grades 9-12?
Kellenburg & Holy Trinity would be a bit too far.

Anyone been to Kew-Forest or have an opinion on it?
Sorry for the misinformatoin. St. Mary's is actually in Manhasset, and Blessed Sacrament is just a elementary-middle school.

Christ the King HS in Middle Village. Don't know if that's too far for you.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 15,587 times
I live in Cambria Heights and all 3 of my kids went to Kellenberg. One of my neighbors has 2 sons at Chaminade.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDQueen View Post
I live in Cambria Heights and all 3 of my kids went to Kellenberg. One of my neighbors has 2 sons at Chaminade.
Okay, hmm ... Is it possible to get to those schools on public transportation?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 15,587 times
Yes. They would catch the Q27 on Springfield to the N6 to the N72 to Kellenberg. It takes anywhere from an hour to hour and a half depending on the connections. Chaminade is also accessible by a couple of buses but I'm not sure which ones. It sounds long but I went to Stuyvesant from Cambria Heights and that took 2 hours or more. Back then it was normal to travel 1-2 hours to Manhattan for high school. My husband grew up on the same block and went to Elmont. Still don't know how his family pulled that off.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDQueen View Post
It sounds long but I went to Stuyvesant from Cambria Heights and that took 2 hours or more. Back then it was normal to travel 1-2 hours to Manhattan for high school.
I'm no stranger to a long commute. I went to Brooklyn Tech from Laurelton and my brother went to Stuyvesant. For the best education around at the time it was worth it. I have no regrets. Looking for options if the kids don't score high enough on the SHSAT.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:41 PM

11,629 posts, read 12,688,546 times
Some kids from those areas also go to Woodmere Academy in Woodmere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City