Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 PM

62 posts, read 291,631 times

Advertisements

I am a New Yorker.

I thrive on diversity, culture, socializing and the sheer energy of living at the crossroads of the entire world. I enjoy meeting people from every conceivable corner of our planet and hearing every imaginable language spoken. I love tasting their foods, listening to their music and learning of their cultures. I love being able to say a phrase or ask for things in Russian, Italian, German, French, Spanish, Hebrew and Polish. I love seeing the smile on an arabic storetender's face when I greet him in his language.

I love change. I thank God for the sizzling summers because it elevates my appreciation of the beautiful Fall to come, when Central Park will be cloaked in a dazzling array of multicolored leaves featuring every extant shade of yellow, brown, and green there is. While I wait for better temperatures I can stroll the Village on beautiful balmy nights and/or take in any one of the dozens of on-going art performances, concerts and shows constantly featured thru-out the area. I'll find air-conditioned refuge in the museums, spending hours viewing the artifacts and legacies of every culture that ever was. I'll sit for hours at a sidewalk street cafe, watching the whole wide world parade past my outstretched feet.

I come to life in the middle of Winter, when the icy winds whip my face and serve to toughen me up again, reminding me that life too has it's ups & downs and of how valuable it is to learn to ride both on an even keel. I love seeing fresh fallen snow carpeting the city like in a fairy tale. When that same snow gets dirty and black from the soot I'm reminded of how ephemeral
the good things in life really are. A harsh winter also raises my appreciation of the upcoming Spring, when the trees and flowers of my city will again explode in a palette of colors and aromas. I like the occasional nauseous smells as well because they remind me of the ugliness & misery that often underlie life itself, hidden out of sight yet constant.

I love the intense rains that wash the city clean. I appreciate a beautiful sunny day that much more after 3 straight days of dark clouds & downpours. I love the wind funneling thru the buildings and swaying the trees.

I like people who speak their minds strong & clear. I appreciate being told to f*ck off if I deserve it & enjoy telling others to do so when they bug me. I like being around people who know the difference between when it's actually raining and when someone is peeing on your leg and telling you that it's raining.

Seeing poverty reminds me that it is a fact of life and it helps me appreciate my own personal good fortune that much more. It makes me conscious of the solidarity among mankind. It makes me want to help those I can and mitigates by own misfortunes when they inevitably arise, having seen these brave souls weather much worse.

I love the cops, who accept working for ridiculously low salaries and yet put 110% of themselves into their jobs anyway. Just because they're in love with my city too!.

I love the excitement & dangers of NYC, which keep me constantly on my toes and my brain fully in AWAKE! mode.

I LOVE NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 02:41 AM

159 posts, read 177,503 times
So what do you think of life in the city right now Mr Transplant?

Still have anything positive to say now that the cognitive dissonance phase has passed?

Old 09-05-2015, 02:50 AM

969 posts, read 825,654 times
Quote:
So what do you think of life in the city right now Mr Transplant?
This was posted eight years ago. And her account has been inactive since 2007.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Monella View Post

I love the cops, who accept working for ridiculously low salaries and yet put 110% of themselves into their jobs anyway. Just because they're in love with my city too!.

I LOVE NY.

How trite and naive. Obviously she didn't stick around to experience the DeBlasio era.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Pretty poetic post about NYC. I enjoyed it. Love the screen name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City