Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 38,167 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning to visit and stay at my friend's house during this summer.

My friend invited me to come over with my RV

I just want to make sure I wouldn't be breaking any bylaws or regulations of the neighborhood before I commit and drive all the way across the country just to find out that I would put my friend in a difficult situation (getting cited by city etc.)

My friend thinks there would be no problem. The property has a wide and long driveway, and ample enough space in the backyard.

This is a single family home, zoned R4-1, and located in Brooklyn, NY.

I've searched the internet to find out, but I can't seem to find any references. Nothing so far at NYC's website. (A good sign?)

www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/zone/zonetext.shtml

If anyone can share what they know with regards to this matter, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
I don't see a problem if you have the space to park it in his long driveway. Now if your friend lived in an upscale Long Island community then it might be a issue. Yes I am aware that in some places you aren't even allowed to park an RV in your own driveway.

The way I see it, your friend owns his home, it's his driveway, he can park whatever he wants. People park boats,RV's,commercial trucks,etc in their driveways all over Brooklyn. Parking on the street is a different matter however,how big is your RV? That is the best way to travel coast to coast in my opinion.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
As long as the vehicle is registered, and parked within the property lines, as in, off the apron at the road, I don't think you would have any issue. It's an RV when it is mobile, and only could be construed as an illegal accessory dwelling if it were not legally capable of being moved. I don't think you would have any issue, but your friend might call the local council office to get any particular restrictions, since someone on the council member's staff might be able to give some insight.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
...People park boats,RV's,commercial trucks,etc in their driveways all over Brooklyn...
Quote:
call the local council... staff might be able to give some insight.
Thanks so much for hard and actionable intels, very very helpful.

I might look into asking my homeowner friend to apply for a temporary permit which would request neighbors to refrain from parking theirs cars on street curbs for one time only for a few hours, so that on the day of my arrival, it will be no trouble backing into the driveway my not-so-small travel trailer.

My trailer is a few years old 25ft airstream trailer. It's clean looking. I'm hoping people won't think of it as an eye sore, or file complaints.

Again, thanks so much for the info and your kindness to share.

Here I am already warming up to the people of NYC...

Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Airstreams are cool, and somewhat hip, even in NYC. A few years ago, Ralph Lauren actually found some of the classic Airstreams and refurbished them. They sold for $150k, each. So, you'd have some brand credibility, such that I don't think anyone could call an Airstream an eyesore, even in the city.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999desmosedici View Post
Thanks so much for hard and actionable intels, very very helpful.

I might look into asking my homeowner friend to apply for a temporary permit which would request neighbors to refrain from parking theirs cars on street curbs for one time only for a few hours, so that on the day of my arrival, it will be no trouble backing into the driveway my not-so-small travel trailer.

My trailer is a few years old 25ft airstream trailer. It's clean looking. I'm hoping people won't think of it as an eye sore, or file complaints.

Again, thanks so much for the info and your kindness to share.

Here I am already warming up to the people of NYC...
If there are alternate side regulations in your friend's neighborhood, you can just time your arrival to coincide with the few hours when cars are not allowed to park on his street due to street cleaning. Not all neighborhoods have alternate side regulations so you have to check. You can google alternate side parking regulations, nyc for a bit more info.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
... just time your arrival... when cars are not allowed to park on his street due to street cleaning...
You're right. Smart and simple; no need to inconvenience the neighbors.

Ah... collective wisdom -- this is why I love forums.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City