Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 PM

40 posts, read 190,506 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Here's what is going on. I lived in NYC from 2005-2008. First in a dorm room in Chelsea. Then in a studio on Flatbush near Lincoln Rd. Then I moved away. I moved back to the area about a week ago and am in a temporary situation in Jersey City Heights. So, I'm not totally new to NYC, but don't have the knowledge of areas that a real New Yorker has.

For the last week I've been searching for a place using Craigslist and not having much luck. Roommates tend to drive me nuts, but anything more than $800/mo is too much for me, so I'm obviously limited on options. So, what I'm looking for is a studio in the $800 or less range. I could possibly go $900 if it included all utilities.

What I want:

1) studio in $800 range
2) ability to walk from train to apartment at 2-3am without feeling too unsafe (average size, mid 20's, white male)
3) a place not crawling with roaches

What I don't care about:

1) Being in a hip/trendy area
2) size

I would consider anywhere in BK, Harlem, Queens, etc, but don't know all the areas well enough to make an informed decision. All I've been doing is wandering around neighborhoods where the rent seems ok and deciding if the area seems alright. I don't really like what I've seen of Jersey so far and don't really like dealing with PATH and light rail so I would like to remain on the NY side where I can just get my unlimited metrocard and go anywhere.

Would an agent be worth looking into or is it pointless since I'm not looking to spend 2k a month? Half the craigslist people don't seem to even respond to my emails or call me back. I wouldn't mind paying a fee if it got me into a place I liked.

Here's the other important thing that's a problem for me. I'm a self-employed musician and don't really have pay stubs or anything like that and I've also just moved back to the area. BUT, my credit is perfect, and I have more than a year's rent in my bank account and could even pay somebody the first few months up front or have my parents (out of the state) cosign. I had to have them as guarantors in my Flatbush apt. Is this going to make it difficult to get approved or is good credit, a year's rent in the bank, and a cosigner/guarantor enough to get approved?

So far, it sounds like Midwood, Dyker Heights, possibly Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay might be places I could find an $800 place that would feel safe at 2-3am, but I haven't had much luck getting responses from craigslist. I'm assuming there are some other areas to check out...parts of queens, harlem/inwood, bronx, etc but I just haven't lived here long enough to know which areas are going to feel safe walking around at night. I realize the only way to know for sure is to go there at night and walk around and see if *I* feel safe, but I'll take any help I can get with suggestions of places to check out.

Thanks for any help anybody can give regarding areas to look, agents, links, etc. Sorry for the super long message!

PS...if any agents are reading this, please feel free to contact me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City