Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 04:34 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times

Advertisements

I had this conversation with a friend about an apartment I was looking at across the street from Jackie Robinson Park. I thought it would be great living right across the street from the park (with a young child). She thought it was completely unsafe (for girlfriend and daughter). Anyway what do you think. Is it a good idea to live across the street from a park with a family or unsafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 05:04 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
.... Anyway what do you think? Is it a good idea to live across the street from a park with a family or unsafe?
It would depend on the park and the neighborhood I guess. I certainly don't think you could just say that it's dangerous to live across the street from any park.

I live across the street from Bronx Park and it's great for kids and families.In addition to The Bronx Zoo and The New York Botanical Garden it has many play areas,a Little League field,soccer fields,ball fields,a skate park,picnic areas,sledding hills and many other recreational areas.Tons of kids and parents are in there all the time,all year round.Nobody considers it unsafe and it's not unsafe.Many people actually move to the neighborhood to be near it.

I guess if you were talking about a run down or neglected park in an iffy neighborhood it might be different but you can't make any blanket statements one way or the other.It has to be judged on a case by case basis.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:45 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times
Living across the street from a park = good.

Living across the street from a park in a bad neighborhood = bad.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
In good, especially gentrified, neighborhoods parks are a highly desired asset to the neighborhood and increase the value of hosing on the surrounding blocks.

In a so-called 'bad' neighborhood, parks are where bad things happen, where bad people congregate, where drug dealing and drug addicts loiter, and where bullets fly across open space indiscriminately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: