Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM

209 posts, read 536,020 times

Advertisements

The area near mount Sinai between first and third . Anyone know anything about the area? What's it like? Kind of people around? Safe? Things to do? Places to eat and drink? Is the area near the river near there safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
The area near mount Sinai between first and third . Anyone know anything about the area? What's it like? Kind of people around? Safe? Things to do? Places to eat and drink? Is the area near the river near there safe?
Please, a little help? I'm thinking of letting my son live there for the summer.
Thanks.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:47 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,249,164 times
It's the Upper East Side, perfectly safe, if not a little boring. There are neighborhood restaurants, shops, cafes, etc., within reasonable proximity. It's a little removed from the subway, since there's no line east of Lexington, so he will have to walk to the subway or use the bus.

It's not exactly near Mount Sinai, though, as the hospital is 5th-Madison and 98th-101st. New York Medical College and Metropolitan Hospital are closer than Mount Siani, on 1st from 97th-99th. NYU's medical school is on 93rd, too.

The boundary of the UES, exclusive of Carnegie Hill, is 96th Street, where the police precinct changes, and the neighborhood begins to change as well. He should not have any issues in that particular area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
It's the Upper East Side, perfectly safe, if not a little boring. There are neighborhood restaurants, shops, cafes, etc., within reasonable proximity. It's a little removed from the subway, since there's no line east of Lexington, so he will have to walk to the subway or use the bus.

It's not exactly near Mount Sinai, though, as the hospital is 5th-Madison and 98th-101st. New York Medical College and Metropolitan Hospital are closer than Mount Siani, on 1st from 97th-99th. NYU's medical school is on 93rd, too.

The boundary of the UES, exclusive of Carnegie Hill, is 96th Street, where the police precinct changes, and the neighborhood begins to change as well. He should not have any issues in that particular area.
Thank you so much! What is UES? So the area by the river is nicer than the other direction? I am sorry, I will have to google maps the address and look to see what the heck I am talking about. I was only there for a day & a half and spent most of my time trying to help my son figure out the subway! =)
I really appreciate the response.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
It's the northernmost edge of the Upper East Side (UES), one of the wealthiest and safest neighborhoods in all of Manhattan.

My first apartment right out of college in 2002 was on 94th and Third Avenue. It was a great place to start out- subway 2 blocks away at 96th and Lexington, three block walk from Central Park, and all the "basics" (grocery store, drug store, nail salon, dry cleaners) within a block or two.

As pp said, not the most exciting neighborhood. A few bars and restaurants, but mostly caters to recent grads and "middle class" families.

86th Street is the "hub" of the neighborhood, with 2 huge movie theatres, a flagship Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, several home furnishings stores, etc. Restaurants & bars are all along 2nd and 3rd Avenues between 72nd-86th.

Personally- and I am a female- I found the river in the 90's to be more sketchy that I would like. There is a project (public housing) there and even though it's one of the safer ones, still not where I would want to hang out.

Carl Schurtz Park is at 86th & East End. It is beautiful, safe, and always packed with walkers, dogs, sunbathers, picnics, etc on a pretty day. Not too far of a walk, and Central Park is pretty close, too.

You have no worries!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,249,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
Thank you so much! What is UES? So the area by the river is nicer than the other direction? I am sorry, I will have to google maps the address and look to see what the heck I am talking about. I was only there for a day & a half and spent most of my time trying to help my son figure out the subway! =)
I really appreciate the response.
UES = Upper East Side. And, just as a side note, there's no Upper Upper East Side as the brokers are now trying to push -- it's East Harlem.

No worries. In a general sense, it's not far from Mount Sinai, but blocks in either direction can be a significant difference in NYC. I agree with TurtleCreek80 that the river area that far up is not as nice as areas to the south, since it's a tad more desolate, and there's the housing project, albeit a quiet one.

You should have no worries, save for the fact that he could be shopping too much at some of the upscale stores, eateries, and goodie shops in the area. Tell him to head over to William Greenberg Desserts on Madison Avenue (bwtn. 82nd & 83rd, west side of Madison) for some delicious NYC-style baked goods.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: