Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Yeah but I went to NYC last year in July- and all my relatives up there told me it was burning hot. I got there and it was at least 15 degrees cooler than Tampa. I'd much rather put up with a few months of cold and snow than 11 months of burning hot.

And really, 95 in March? My relatives were telling me it was freezing cold and snowing in March? Heck it was pretty cold (for FL) in Tampa in March.
Yeah sorry about that, it was actually early-April. NYC hit 90 (94 degrees) before Phoenix this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
In all honesty, a good portion of that 8 million are not adults. Like someone said, it can be a cool place to hang out but living day to day is not all its cracked up to be.
What exactly was new york cracked up to be? New york will tell u to your face that im a rough and expensive ultra urban city. What exactly were u expecting. People that come from rural or suburban areas, deciding to live in a shoe box apartment in manhattan when they could have chosen something nicer in the other boroughs. Is what we're talking about here. They don't know what there getting into

Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
"I want to wake up in a city that doesn't sleep
And find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap."

I don't mean to be a snob, but in the context of the song the line "make it" doesn't mean "survive" or "get by." It means being extremely successful in a given industry and by implication, being among the best, if not the best in the world. If you're a Times reporter, you can write for any paper. If you're a Broadway actor, you can perform on any stage. If you're a Goldman banker, anyone will give you a job in finance, etc, etc. etc.

The vast majority of people in the city don't aspire to "make it" in that sense, but there is a significant group of people who do. The city attracts smart and, more importantly, very ambitious people. Competition is brutal and if you can make it to the top it means you're very, very good at what you do.

It's also why so many people resent New York (and New Yorkers) so much. No matter how successful you are in Chicago or Boston, it's not the same as being successful in New York.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 16,479 times
I've lived in NYC for 4 years now and I have to be honest saying it's very overrated. Coming to visit is great, and does leave you with a wanting more impression, however it's very different if you decide to move here and take it on day in and day out. The stereotype of the people here being rude, obnoxious and annoying are mostly true. You have to fight for every inch of space, it's definitely not a place for the weak of heart. Overall the negatives outweigh the positives, the stress takes a lot of enjoyment out of the positive things, and takes its toll after a while.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToArsenal47 View Post
I'm going this summer and after college, it's either NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago or Tampa.

I'm visiting them all before I graduate but New York is at the top of my list because, well, it's New York! My question is how true is this? And what makes NYC a really hard place to be in?
Cost of living is one of the highest if not the highest in the United States.
  • Things like car insurance for a new car is outrageous.
  • Finding affordable housing for those with lower incomes is extremely hard in this city. Shoe box size apartments that are way overpriced just because some of them are located in trendy areas around the 5 boroughs.
  • Mass transit cost for riding subway and buses continue to go up.
  • Eventually people decide they want to purchase a home....the American Dream right?......well here it is extremely difficult....houses are also priced extremely high....in most cases for homes that need to be gutted out and completely renovated. I was born and raised here all my life and can tell you it was not always this way. Back 20-30 years ago the houses in NYC were a lot cheaper.....those that purchased homes back then and held on to them will be sitting pretty right now if they sell. Example: Grew up in downtown Brooklyn.....years ago a brownstone there was pretty cheap....now they sell for a million dollars and up!
Overcrowded ~ yeah you guessed it, everyone has the same idea about moving to NYC and making it.
  • Traffic, noise and every other problem that comes with overcrowding
  • Job market extremely competitive - but hey it is New York City and this is the reason it has the status that it has in the world.
But do I love this city......without a doubt yes....it is a fascinating city, always something to do and see. There is no other city like it in the world and it is truly in a class by itself!

Good luck

Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM

120 posts, read 438,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodalone View Post
I've lived in NYC for 4 years now and I have to be honest saying it's very overrated. Coming to visit is great, and does leave you with a wanting more impression, however it's very different if you decide to move here and take it on day in and day out. The stereotype of the people here being rude, obnoxious and annoying are mostly true. You have to fight for every inch of space, it's definitely not a place for the weak of heart. Overall the negatives outweigh the positives, the stress takes a lot of enjoyment out of the positive things, and takes its toll after a while.
i'm the complete opposite. I've been here for 4 years w/ my wife and i love it, but hated it in the beginning.

what i love most about new york is the ability to carve out a small city feel with big city convenience. i live in hells kitchen and it feels like a small town. not overcrowded, by the water; but has all the things you'd expect from a big city: lots of restaurants, bars, grocery stores, convenient public transportation, etc.

i think it takes a while to not only find a neighborhood that you like, but to really appreciate what your neighborhood has to offer. Once you have your "home base", you're free to explore the city without feeling "lost" or "overwhelmed".

Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM

244 posts, read 664,732 times
"If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere"

I can't make it here.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM

118 posts, read 443,665 times
There are a lot of things about this city I hate. I hate people on the train that ramble on in their native tongues at great lengths without using breath mints. I hate how the frozen pizzas I bought back home for $4.99 cost $7.99 here. I hate how the need to urinate turns into a quest on the level of putting together a chinese jigsaw puzzle, and when I do find a restroom it's filled to the brim with excrement and decorated with with a large number of unidentifiable things. There are a lot of things about NYC to hate. But at some point, I realized that this isn't a place for crybabies. And that there is a true potential for GREATNESS that does not exist anywhere else the way it does here, period. This is not a place for the mediocre. You will suffer more here, yes. But it will also make you into the person that you were meant to be, if you just give it enough of a chance to let it.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
There are a lot of things about this city I hate. I hate people on the train that ramble on in their native tongues at great lengths without using breath mints. I hate how the frozen pizzas I bought back home for $4.99 cost $7.99 here. I hate how the need to urinate turns into a quest on the level of putting together a chinese jigsaw puzzle, and when I do find a restroom it's filled to the brim with excrement and decorated with with a large number of unidentifiable things. There are a lot of things about NYC to hate. But at some point, I realized that this isn't a place for crybabies. And that there is a true potential for GREATNESS that does not exist anywhere else the way it does here, period. This is not a place for the mediocre. You will suffer more here, yes. But it will also make you into the person that you were meant to be, if you just give it enough of a chance to let it.
Beautiful post... almost brought tears to my eyes! BRAVO!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
great post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City