Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 PM

21 posts, read 48,351 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,my name is Khoi and I am from L.A. First off, let me say that please forgive me if my English irritates you since i am an international student from Vietnam - I speak English as my second language.

I and my girl friend have been saving money during the semester for the trip to New York City in late July after a very stressful semester. Our budget is about 2000$ and we have 6 days to go. What'd you think, should we:
1)Rent a car and drive back and forth.(We are under 25)
2)Rent a car to drive to New York City and stay in cheap motel in New Jersey and fly back to L.A
3)Buy a complete package (air ticket,car rental and hotel) from online travel agent such as cheapticket or expedia
4)Buy a complete package from local traveling agents that offer guide,bus,food,hotel (not including air ticket)
5)Your experiences

Which of the idea you think is the most economy while we can enjoy the trip ? Any comment/suggestion/advice will be much appreciated. I am looking forward to hear from all of you soon.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default no car needed

Buy an airline ticket at Orbitz.com and ride public transit when you arrive in New York. Book a hotel on Manhattan. Leave the car at LAX you will not need it here...repeat no need for a car here.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 PM

16 posts, read 42,257 times
I assume you don't mean rent a car and drive from Los Angeles to New York..

If you are under 25 your rental is going to be very expensive. New York has an extensive mass transit system with busses, subways and trains. Use it!

Find a hotel close to a subway in Queens or Brooklyn and take the subway back and forth. You can buy weekly and monthly passes that will give you unlimited rides on all subways and local buses.

How long are you staying? $2,000 can go fast in this city.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:51 AM

21 posts, read 48,351 times
Thanks for your quick responds.
Your advices sound very reasonable but should you mind if i ask you how easy/convenience to use the NYC's extensive mass transit system ? In where i am now, it's just so hard to live upon public transportation system hence we don't really use it much.
We will be staying there for at least 3 nights and we won't eat in 5 stars restaurant, do you think our budget is enough to travel around the city ? My girlfriend wants to rent a car in NYC for 1 day to drive to New Jersey to say hi to her friend too.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default MTA plug

Your budget is well in line and should be sufficient. The NY public transit is vastly superior to LA; this city was designed and built before the age of the car. Even a trip to New Jersey can be accomplished via train. You should plan your whole entire trip around using public transit. Everything worth seeing is near a subway or bus.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
The subways in New York operate on a flat-fare basis. Once you pay your way in, all transfers between lines are free. You should pick up a subway map (they're free, available at any station) so that you can figure out where you are and how to get where you're going before you get on the train. And for heaven's sake, don't listen to anyone who whines about the map; each line is designated with a specific color. All you have to be able to do is trace a colored line on the page, and you'll know where each train goes and where transfers are available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: