Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 14,819 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be working at the Federal Plaza in The City and looking for a safe area with easy commute to the city. I have a 12 year old son so public schools are important. Would like a 40 minute door to door commute and looking at spending around 2k a month on rent. We are relocating from Raleigh, NC and I will be bringing a car with me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,317 times
Ditch the car and say hello to the subway.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
Look at Short Hills, NJ or surrounding towns like West Orange.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:14 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
I work at Federal Plaza, I live in Brooklyn but since you have a school aged kid(and want good schools), you may want to look at towns close to NJ Transit( that run into Penn Station) then take the 2 train down to Chambers, walk 4 blocks to work or a Metro North line, that runs into Grand Central like the town of White Plains. Its a 15 min express ride at most from Grand Central to the City Hall station, right next to Federal Plaza. However, that 40 min commute time will be tough. I have a co-worker who lives in Montclair and it takes him 40 mins. You may hear things about Long Island but I wouldn't recommend it. Most of my Long Island co-workers take well over an hour to get to work, sometimes 2.5 hours way out. Unfortunately, none of the commuter trains run downtown.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
White Plains will be an hour to Lower Manhattan, on an express, and the schools are not great. Better school districts in Westchester that are close-in, might not have a huge supply of rentals. Pelham might have some in co-ops or converted single-family homes. You would be 30 minutes to Grand Central from Pelham.

If you want to remain in the city, you could always look at Riverdale in The Bronx since you can be at Grand Central in under 30 minutes on the Metro-North train, and there's also the BxM18 express bus that goes to Lower Manhattan in about an hour. An even better bet might be eastern Queens, since you can take the LIRR to Penn in 20-30 minutes, and then have a faster ride downtown. District 26 area schools are the best neighborhood schools, by district, in the city, so you would look in Bayside (but not all of Bayside as some is District 25), Douglaston, Little Neck, etc. It's also much easier to keep a car in Riverdale or eastern Queens if you choose to remain in the city.

Some towns in Westchester require that the vehicle be off-street at night, so parking would need to be with the unit, or via town permit in a specific lot. There can also be long waiting lists for a train station parking permit in NJ and Westchester. However, in Rivedale, you would have the option of the Hudson Railink bus that goes from the two MNRR stations to various areas of the neighborhood in a few minutes. You could also be relatively close to a station in Queens, too, so you might not have to worry about driving to the station. MNRR and LIRR are going to be the fastest, both within the city and in Westchester, since the subway is slower, and areas in NJ that are on the PATH don't have the best schools. Forest Hills would also be a consideration in Queens, but parking can be a nightmare, but the LIRR is fast to Penn.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM

217 posts, read 921,351 times
I have a close friend working there... Very accessible via the 4,5,6 subways and thus Grand Central. Also the N,R. And the Path. You can live anywhere and get to work with little problem. Try to live on the Lower East Side (take M21 bus to B'way, M1 or M6 to right in front of 26 FP... Or... M14 to Union Square to the 4,5,6. Welcome!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 14,819 times
Thanks everyone for the replies, very, very helpful!! I'm doing my research on all suggestions!!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,184 times
I see there is someone else getting very little help from their agency. We are transferring up in July and are having a very hard time finding a place to live.

To laterkiii, where in Brooklyn are you? Any advice on finding a place that is remotely affordable?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 PM

149 posts, read 371,592 times
Brooklyn Heights or DUMBO, nice, safe, close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City