Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times

Advertisements

Let me say this to anyone who clearly exaggerate "how hood" Astoria is. GET ME AN APARTMENT IN A ASTORIA HOUSING PROJECT AND I'LL BE A HAPPY MAN. Compared to the projects in the South Bronx, Brooklyn and even upper Manhattan, I'll be down like a clown to live in an Astoria housing project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,290 times
My daughter and I moved from the Astoria Projects in 1991 and my only complaint was the 2 fare zone... The view from all my windows were million dollar views. I'll never forget that apartament. Good memories.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM

273 posts, read 672,517 times
Yeah, Astoria is overall safe. In the late 70's to early 90's the areas bordering LIC near the waterfront were rough and not too safe at night - unless you lived in the neighborhood and weren't mixed up in the prostitution and drug use that occurred there. At its worst Ravenswood projects to Queensbridge Projects had the worst crime. Also, for these reasons housing stock was not renewed or renovated much. Yes there is struggle and Ravenswood Houses though much safer does go through cycles where it deteriorates and then gets better.

As for Astoria Houses, overall OK, not the safest of projects in Astoria but FAR safer than some in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Manhattan. As one poster implies you could have a good quality of life - just avoid some of those seeking trouble. And yes, the views and access to culture is fantastic for those people living in Astoria Houses and Queensbridge - million dollar views of Manhattan, world-class museums - Noguchi, PS1, Museum of Moving Image in the neighborhood, a few good school and now one top arts school Frank Sinatra School of The Arts, and easy transport to Central Park (yes a bus but then it takes 10 minutes to the Plaza Hotel at the foot of Central Park)

I guess the main contradiction of Astoria is its architecture and that it is a huge, diverse area (see my posts devoted to the area) with a rich history. Some of the architecture is similar to Bar Ridge, old older sections of Crown Heights/East New York/Ridgewood as well as having some of the older condos with well-tended grounds you find in Forest Hills and Kew Gardens - just not the same amount and spread out.

And trust me I know it is not "ideal", the city has used Astoria and LIC to its detriment a dumping ground for power plant facilities (though it does give us a plus - the city will make damn sure the area does not so dangerous workers cannot get to their job safely) and in a few pockets put far too many social services/medical clinic entities in too high a concentration when one of the largest welfare offices in NYC is on Northern Blvd right by the 36th STREET station. I still recall in the morning the line used to be out on Northern winding onto Honeywell. Now with gentrification they hide the line byt having it only on Honeywell Bridge. So, yes I agree with the initial post that the poverty that exists here is been hidden away and overlooked - but that has happened in the Lower East Side, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, west midtown Manhattan, and Upper West Side (seriously take a hard look around Amsterdam Ave in the 80's and you will see poverty exists alongside the expensive apartments and condos/coops).

Finally, I think our area is fortunate in the leadership we have councilman and NY State reps who work hard for our area to be a good place to live.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Astoria won't become bad. Location and proximity to Manhattan will make it too desirable.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
As a ten-year astoria resident I call shenanagans on this thread.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Astoria today is much nicer then it was 10-15 years ago. If there is any area in the city that has improved significantly over the last decade that hasn't been gentrified to death, it's this one.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Thread title is laughable

Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM

257 posts, read 684,723 times
Also, it's a 3 year-old thread. The OP has long ago moved to Jamaica and never looked back.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
Me and my wife are thinking of moving to astoria do u think we would fit in were a same sex legally married couple i work nights and she works days you think its safe if im coming home after 12

Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
My childhood friend got married to a local Astoria resident, and moved to Astoria. She has been there for 12 years, and he has been their lifelong....they like Astoria but despise the people moving in as rude and condescending. They are both working class ethnics (She is PR, he is Hungarian I believe) and they are continually complaining about the Manhattan transplants and/or white bread-sex in the city-wannabe actors-you have to be rude like other NYers-obnoxious-newbies.

They do relent and admit, yes Astoria has improved and their place is worth a fortune, but at the end of the day they are annoyed with what is happening to "their" neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City