Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,933 times

Advertisements

I am a new law school grad from NYLS and was wondering if staying in manhattan is a good idea or not. My current job offer is 160,000 a year. I am also married with one daughter and we are considering having another child in the near future. Any advice will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
From what I know having worked at a NY law firm, you will be putting in lots of long hours. If your job is in Manhattan, you'll probably want to live there too. My firm was near Grand Central and many of my colleagues lived in the Village, UWS or UES, and could walk to work. I'm sure you'll want time with your family. Do what you can to cut down on your commute.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Agree with pp; live as close to your office as possible. As you gain seniority at the firm, you'll occasionally be able to sneak home for an hour to eat dinner with your wife & kid(s). This is likely the ONLY time you will be able to see your kids while they are awake during the week.

You can definitely live on $160k in Manhattan- look for a 2br apartment. If you have another child, they can certainly share a room.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 AM

Okay. Thanks. One more question. My wife has graduated from the Art Institute in NYC. How much could she potentially make as a photographer here as well. She hasn't been working much lately because of my law school requirements and our daughter but she has been doing this since she was a senior in high school freelancing for the local papers back in Indiana. Just trying to find out how much we could be looking at for our total income.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Work as a photojournalist? It's very hard to get hired as a staff photographer without serious experience/portfolio. Most people have to intern and that's no money.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Thanks. I was kinda wondering about living in a place like Roosevelt Island. I do not think that it would be that much of a problem living there while working in Manhattan. Any advice?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
What part of Manhattan will you be working in? Roosevelt Island is serviced by the F train (6th Avenue Local) so if your job is along the route or close to it, you should be okay.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,125 times
Have you been to Roosevelt Island? Make sure you spend a lot of time there before you decide to rent. It has a really odd feeling to it, in my opinion, as it's isolated and very limited on what's there to do.
I think you'll be fine in any neighborhood you want to live in! Where's the offered job located? If I had a kid in Manhattan, I think I'd go with the UWS.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
Have you been to Roosevelt Island? Make sure you spend a lot of time there before you decide to rent. It has a really odd feeling to it, in my opinion, as it's isolated and very limited on what's there to do.
I think you'll be fine in any neighborhood you want to live in! Where's the offered job located? If I had a kid in Manhattan, I think I'd go with the UWS.
Agree 100%! I would not want to live there with a kid. Especially if your wife stays home, not sure how many kid-friendly activities (gymboree, mom's clubs, etc) and parks there are on Roosevelt Island.

You make a lot of money and the re market is not particularly strong now. I'd zero in on UWS or UES for the school options (private and public), access to Central Park and East/Hudson River parks, etc.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Thank you for everything. Looking at it, the transportation might come to be a little bit of a problem. The job offer is in downtown sorry for not responding sooner. But thank you guys again for the information that you have given. I have yet to be on Roosevelt Island yet and I will be going there soon to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: