U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 PM
 
8,747 posts, read 17,729,768 times
Reputation: 4168

Advertisements

I have driven past this development along the Bruckner Expressway in Soundview and always thought they were simply housing projects. They are typical brown brick 12 story buildings in a parklike setting (somewhat similar to Parkchester).

They are now affordable co-ops with 1 bedrooms selling for $215,000 and 2 bedrooms selling for $293,000...impressive pricing if you ask me. The renovated co-ops are quite nice though.

This was a BIG sign to me that the Bronx, and South Bronx in particular is rapidly changing, as these are the prices they are commanding today..not 2 years ago. If there ever was a sign of "gentrification" (or as I prefer to call it revitalization), this is it...paying these prices to live in this development is surprising to me. And it is all driven by middle/working class people of color who are moving in and supporting these prices, NOT whites. It's happening all over the Bronx, and the pace of change is increasing from what I can see.

Bronx buyers on the way up! Affordable means attainable at Lafayette Estates
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
9,163 posts, read 23,018,134 times
Reputation: 7548
It is a good sign,especially in that neighborhood but I'm not sure if many (or any?) have transferred at those prices.Someone asked about them on a thread a year or so ago and I'm not sure what the outcome was.I believe someone responded who actually lives there so maybe they will reappear and fill us in.
It is a former Michell Lama rental development and it was built around the same time as some of the real projects in that neighborhood, which explains why everyone assumed they were projects too.I think the asking prices are too high for The Bronx.They are the same or more than Riverdale and you have to take a bus to the subway too.It would be interesting to know what they actually sell for.

P.S. Someone told me a year or so ago that this "conversion" was being viewed by the city(maybe even assisted by the city?) as a prototype for the eventual conversion of some NYCHA projects to co operative ownership.
http://www.lafayetteestates.com/Home.aspx

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-07-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,863,514 times
Reputation: 1163
I live there. But dont they have co-op's/housing projects like this in midtown?

And lol at thinking it was a project. Lafayette has terraces and a gated parking lot and security.lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
 
556 posts, read 1,396,840 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It is a good sign,especially in that neighborhood but I'm not sure if many (or any?) have transferred at those prices.Someone asked about them on a thread a year or so ago and I'm not sure what the outcome was.I believe someone responded who actually lives there so maybe they will reappear and fill us in.
It is a former Michell Lama rental development and it was built around the same time as some of the real projects in that neighborhood, which explains why everyone assumed they were projects too.I think the asking prices are too high for The Bronx.They are the same or more than Riverdale and you have to take a bus to the subway too.It would be interesting to know what they actually sell for.

P.S. Someone told me a year or so ago that this "conversion" was being viewed by the city(maybe even assisted by the city?) as a prototype for the eventual conversion of some NYCHA projects to co operative ownership.
Lafayette Estates
I was looking into them. NOT worth the price. I use the park right next door park to bike though. That park get CROWDED on the weekends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 PM
 
16 posts, read 82,946 times
Reputation: 19
Default Lafayette Co-Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I live there. But dont they have co-op's/housing projects like this in midtown?

And lol at thinking it was a project. Lafayette has terraces and a gated parking lot and security.lol
Meaning no disrespect to those who live there, but, the "Lafayette Co-op's/Estates", or whatever the description, as were the other Co-op's that were built just off Bruckner Blvd back in the '60's, and would also include "Co-op City", were constructed, as I called them, "HIGH PRICED" projects! Some of the families, who lived there, were minorities who had good jobs but were covertly denied the opportunity of buying a home in the suburbs back then! I had a paper route in the early '60's, mostly in "Soundview Projects" and began to deliver a short time after it was opened! I just tried a search to establish the exact timeframe, but, for some reason...no luck.....but found information about the low income housing though! Parkchester was off limits to minorities until the late '60's -early '70's........Before I moved out of Bronx in '81, I lived in the "Park Lane" on Lafayette Ave just off of White Plains Rd......It was nice, affordable wise, in the beginning during the early to mid '70's, but then the rent started to go up! It was then that I decided to move out for another state....I'm glad I did!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 PM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,863,514 times
Reputation: 1163
High priced projects? lol. I've lived in the projects before. Lafeyette is worlds and universes away from the projects, has been from the start. Anybody who thinks lafeyette is any where close to the projects needs a reality check.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 PM
 
16 posts, read 82,946 times
Reputation: 19
Pardon me....as I mentioned in my prior post, I meant no disrespect, but.....did I miss something?? When did Lafayette fill in the marsh and create it's own "private golf course" with palm trees?? It still has elevators...does it not? Heck of an amount of money to pay for an "apartment"....a Condo perhaps?? Step out onto your terrace and take a good look at the area outside your realm of delusion......Your in the "Bronx".....not "WAY" up-state NY, Tarrytown, Westchester Co., nor "Palm Springs, CA where most people live in walk in houses and have garages to park their car's in not numbered spaces...gated or otherwise!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 AM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,863,514 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxdale Native View Post
Pardon me....as I mentioned in my prior post, I meant no disrespect, but.....did I miss something?? When did Lafayette fill in the marsh and create it's own "private golf course" with palm trees?? It still has elevators...does it not? Heck of an amount of money to pay for an "apartment"....a Condo perhaps?? Step out onto your terrace and take a good look at the area outside your realm of delusion......Your in the "Bronx".....not "WAY" up-state NY, Tarrytown, Westchester Co., nor "Palm Springs, CA where most people live in walk in houses and have garages to park their car's in not numbered spaces...gated or otherwise!
1.I wasnt aware lafeyette had marshes, doesnt now
2.What does elevators have anything to do with anything
3. The building has been completely remodeled
4. I step out my terrace and see a gated parking lot, a big park and trees. Being in the bronx is an assumption of nothing. Never said it had to be palm springs florida, neither should anyone expect it too be. Where can u find that in the city anyway?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM
 
16 posts, read 82,946 times
Reputation: 19
You must be "new" to the Bronx, otherwise it's development history and interconnecting waterways wouldn't be foreign to you? The population in the beginning, 17th Century, was Native American "Lennape/Delaware" Indians, who were pushed out by the Dutch, then the succession of the English, Irish, German, Italian, Polish! After WWII the African Americans from the south moved in, then came the Puerto Ricans followed by West Indians with a steady movement of departing whites!....... I'm a "3rd generation" Bronx native, (Mother's side, my Grandfather was born in the Bronx) and saw, just about, all of the public housing construction in the north and southeast area take place! Basically, before the construction, the coastline area from the Throgs Neck to Hunt's Point was all "saltmarsh"!(the only fresh water way was the "Bronx River").....Some small homes were still there when I saw the last of it, marsh, in the area between Castle Hill and what is now "Lafayette Estates" in the mid to late '50's as it became a "landfill", which most of the area from "Bronxdale, Soundview, Monroe and Castle Hill Projects" was built on.......Years before it was built, I use to explore and play on the land where I later lived in the Park Lane, which centered in "White Plains Rd - Pugsley Ave & Lafayette Ave - Story Ave"......Don't know what store is there now in the shopping plaza at Bruckner Blvd & White Plains Rd., but it was "E.J. Korvettes" when I lived in Bronxdale and the Park Lane!

The point is, since you missed it,.......when the "Co-ops" were built in the same urban areas of the low income housing, it was a joke, to some, that they were considered "HIGH PRICED" projects! As you already know...it was taboo for most minorities to live in the suburbs during the '50's -'70's.......Those who had high income jobs were able to buy an Co-op apt and it was another way of distinguishing "high & low" income residents! There were a few, like my wife's Grandfather, who built his house in Elmsford, NY in the early '60's, but, as some would say...."let one in and the floodgates are open" and "white flight" starts again to prevent the "devaluation of one's property"! In any event, I, for one, couldn't see paying out that much money for an apartment....especially on my Veteran's Comp......and the Goverment made it clear I couldn't work because of my disability! When the landlord kept raising my rent, I decided to find a place where I could afford a house and a better way of life for my family.......Staying in the Bronx, for me, meant certain trouble either by getting shot or stabbed to death during a mugging or getting locked up for killing someone while trying to protect myself, and I didn't want anything to happen to my son or daughter! I get the ABC & NBC feeds and from what I see....."IT'S WORSE" than when I left!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
 
556 posts, read 1,396,840 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
3. The building has been completely remodeled
4. I step out my terrace and see a gated parking lot, a big park and trees. Being in the bronx is an assumption of nothing. Never said it had to be palm springs florida, neither should anyone expect it too be. Where can u find that in the city anyway?
No, they werent. And there are 4 buildings. Some apartments have been remodeled.

The park is filled with day laborers who live in the woods and have communal dinners in the fields. Doesnt really bug me, I ride my bike thru there anytime(i do night-ride). It is a nicer place to live than some parts of the Bronx, but far from being what the website makes it out to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top