Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New York: job market, degree in marketing, real estate, traffic, great schools.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 AM

68 posts, read 247,061 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your insight on these areas! We are flying out to NY in a couple of weeks to look around Long Island, but I will likely include some investigating around the Rockland County area. Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 06:10 PM

77 posts, read 430,122 times
Smile Don't forget the east end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalou View Post
Thanks for your insight on these areas! We are flying out to NY in a couple of weeks to look around Long Island, but I will likely include some investigating around the Rockland County area. Keep your fingers crossed for us!
What areas are you going to look on Long Island? Will you be coming out near the end of the LIE? Check the map and look for the many things to do out this way. We have open spaces - we are close to the Splish/Splash water park - we are close to wine country - we are close to the Hamptons - Fire Island National Seashore - close to the Tanger outlets - close to many, many great farmstands and lovely nurseries with all the flowers you can plant - we have pick-your-own peach and apple farms - we have the pumpkin patch on our corner and the corn maze. Long Island is pretty long but very diverse as well. We are trying to relocate back to the family in NH so check out the cost of real estate in the Pine Barrens Region; you might like what you see! Good luck to you !

Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,713 times
Let me help you and your husband with the decision, I grew up and currently living in NYC. I HATE it here! why would you want to give up your Cali life for the "Hustle and Flow" of the BAD weather, rude people, and even worst rediclous traffic in and out of the city?. The traffic on the Belt is at it's worst. the job market.. I don't have to tell you. You both are better off staying in Cali. So lets trade!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Thanks, NY652!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY652 View Post

What areas are you going to look on Long Island? Will you be coming out near the end of the LIE? Check the map and look for the many things to do out this way. We have open spaces - we are close to the Splish/Splash water park - we are close to wine country - we are close to the Hamptons - Fire Island National Seashore - close to the Tanger outlets - close to many, many great farmstands and lovely nurseries with all the flowers you can plant - we have pick-your-own peach and apple farms - we have the pumpkin patch on our corner and the corn maze. Long Island is pretty long but very diverse as well. We are trying to relocate back to the family in NH so check out the cost of real estate in the Pine Barrens Region; you might like what you see! Good luck to you !
That sounds lovely. I wasn't really thinking of going too far out east, but it is definitely not out of the question. I will have to check it out while we are there - we're coming in for a look around in a couple of weeks.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Trade ya! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennydeva View Post
Let me help you and your husband with the decision, I grew up and currently living in NYC. I HATE it here! why would you want to give up your Cali life for the "Hustle and Flow" of the BAD weather, rude people, and even worst rediclous traffic in and out of the city?. The traffic on the Belt is at it's worst. the job market.. I don't have to tell you. You both are better off staying in Cali. So lets trade!
I know that feeling, Pennydeva. I have that same feeling about So Cal. I know it is hard to imagine, but the traffic in southern California is even worse than it is there. I am not a terribly religious person, but I pray when I get into the car out here! Lots of people think they are on a NASCAR track instead of a freeway! I never thought I would say this, but it makes mass transportation look very appealing. That is something they really don't have out here.

The great weather here is not enough reason for us to stay. Unless you are really into the beach or want to get in with the Hollywood types, So Cal is pretty boring. We like the charm of the northeast, the history, the no b.s. attitudes (I guess some people might call that rude), access to one of the most exciting cities in the world, and having four seasons (I promise - all year spring and summer gets old after a while). The housing costs here make NY look affordable (not NYC, of course - I know that is just off the charts expensive). And the job market here is no better or worse than anywhere else. I don't know that NY will be our utopia, but it is worth a try. I hope you can get out of NYC if you are unhappy there. Hey - you might love Cali!

Hang in there and keep searching!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
You could find some jobs in Albany, Buffalo, and Rochester. But you won't have as many options as you would in NYC so you better jump on every opportunity in those cities if you don't really want NYC. Syracuse too.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Long Island has changed a lot (just go to the Long Island thread). It's very crowded here and I absolutely HATE driving because people are very aggressive here. If you sit at a light (green) more than 2 seconds, you will be beeped.

Housing costs, well you know the rest...like I said, go peek around the Long Island thread if you are serious about coming here. Most people your age unless they are 'well off' are exiting in droves.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
I will trade you too..I miss south coast plaza, the beach..and oh..can I say the beach? LOL

Old 08-03-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Long Island has changed a lot (just go to the Long Island thread). It's very crowded here and I absolutely HATE driving because people are very aggressive here. If you sit at a light (green) more than 2 seconds, you will be beeped.

Housing costs, well you know the rest...like I said, go peek around the Long Island thread if you are serious about coming here. Most people your age unless they are 'well off' are exiting in droves.
I know - I've checked there. I am a little nervous that we might be going from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. We were just back there in September 2006 and we drove around quite a bit and did not encounter as many lunatics as we see here on the roads. We are traveling there this month to look around again, and we are planning on driving around at peak hours to really get a good idea of how things are. The housing costs here are no better (actually a bit worse where we are), so for us it is just a matter of which place feels right. I am really trying to gather as much info to make an educated choice on this one. We are contemplating Rockland County as well, so we will also be looking there on this trip.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
I will trade you too..I miss south coast plaza, the beach..and oh..can I say the beach? LOL
C'mon back, Mom2gurls! I like South Coast Plaza just as much as the next girl, but the thought of hiking up there from San Clemente is a deterrent (although we do just that on a regular basis because that is where all the cool stuff is!). I'd be happy just 'visiting' the beach - I only crave the beach about once a year. I go, lay there for about 45 minutes, get burned, trek back to the car full of sand, then write it off for another year! If we don't end up in NY, we are definitely looking to leave So Cal, so there will be a space opening up on the freeways for ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York