Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times

Advertisements

A while back, I made some posts here on City-Data about my desire to relocate to either WNY or CNY from my current location of Atlanta, GA. Just this past weekend I came back from a 10-day road trip that included visits to Pittsburgh, Jamestown, three days visiting a friend in Ontario, and then lastly, but certainly not least, Syracuse.

In a nutshell, when I found myself reluctantly rolling back into the heat-blasted South, I realized more than ever that my heart belongs in the upstate of New York. A goal that might have been a bit hazy before is now in crystal-clear focus: I WILL be moving to New York - it's only a matter of time now.

In this thread, I'd like to convey my impressions of my time spent in New York state, accompanied by some of my better photos. I will discuss my Pittsburgh and Ontario experiences in the appropriate threads, for those were truly amazing places as well. In short, this will be a vacation I will fondly remember for many a year.

Coming up from Pittsburgh on I-79, we made the turn northeast towards the western border of New York. The skies were impeccably clear, the temperature warm, and then I was presented with an eye-popping view of mighty Lake Erie. After three days and 850 miles, I had arrived at America's North Shore.

Hopping onto I-86 east, we climbed up onto a broad ridge, intersecting the state line in an area of pretty rolling hills of forests and farm fields. Getting off 86 just before the Lake Chautauqua bridge, we came into Jamestown through the back door, via Lakewood, which we later discovered to be a very pleasant lakeside village. It being a bit early to check in, we just kept driving right through town, getting a bit lost in the process. But it was a great way to see the first of many neighborhoods of this town we checked out in the next couple of days.

Just eight miles southeast of town, the town limits quickly transitioning to rolling farmland in an amazingly quick fashion, we climbed a long, straight hill which lead to Erlandson Overview Park, one of the county's highest points at 2060 above sea level.

And this is what I was presented with upon our first stop in this great state:

A pretty nice welcome, don't you think?

After checking into the old-school motel along Fairmount Ave on the west side of town, we checked out some of areas in and around downtown, coming across gems such as this church in a middle of a turn-of-the-century single family homes:

This is something we ain't got in Atlanta...LOL.

Over the next two days, we gave Jamestown a very good look-over, checking out various neighborhoods, from the top on down. I was amazed by the sheer variety of vintage homes, not to mention standing examples of the city's once-industrial past. And the downtown, while a bit small and low-key, is really quite pleasant and friendly, as we discovered the following day when we visited the Lucy-Desi museum and watched a skateboarding tournament a block away.

Check out the restored 1876 buildings in this photo:

Lots more to come, but will leave it at this for this initial post due to time limitations. Will be posting much more in coming days, however, so stay tuned.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/byrontastic/4743660484/sizes/l/ (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
I can't wait to see more of these posts from you! (especially as a native and lifetime resident of Syracuse-Central NY.) I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to our beautiful state!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times
Glad you enjoyed your trip in upstate, it really should be it's own state.

My only question is what will you do for work? there isn't much in terms of jobs up there.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
I beg to differ. lol - my dad is a nurse and is working a full time job and two per-diem situations with his previous employers because they don't have enough applicants.

Syracuse area, btw.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I beg to differ. lol - my dad is a nurse and is working a full time job and two per-diem situations with his previous employers because they don't have enough applicants.

Syracuse area, btw.
Exactly....Work prospects depend upon one's ability, education and skills. So, what might look like a bleak employment situation for one person might not be the case for another. That is something to keep in mind and this is a good site with quite a few jobs available: Central New York Jobs

Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the comments. To answer one of the questions brought forth above, I am currently a carpentry student at a local technical college in the Atlanta area. My goal is to do home restorations and general carpentry work, preferably in a place that has a whole lot of older homes. And yes, I've checked the job listings for both WNY and CNY - it's been my impression that finding a job as a carpenter is no more difficult than finding one here, where the housing depression continues to exact its heavy toll.

Anyhow, enough about me, I've got a bit more blogging to do about my trip.

On our second day in Jamestown, we made a visit about six miles south of town (very close to the PA border, actually) to the Audubon center they have out there. A good friend of mine is into birding, so this is one place I have to bring him to - a real birder's paradise if there ever was one. The five miles of trails (we just did 1/10th that, ha ha) sport an amazing variety of native summer birds - even more than the wintertime bird scene I get here in Atlanta, and that's saying a lot.

Here's what their facility looks like:

To say this building is "green" is an understatement, I'd be surprised if they even have a power bill to pay at all...lol.

After we did that, we toured more neighborhoods in the town, being surprised at how well-kept the vast majority of the neighborhoods were. Even the lower-end areas didn't look unpleasant, certainly a far cry to what I'm used to seeing down here. Here's a good example of Jamestown's characteristic brick-paved residential streets:

Notice the grass growing right in the street, not to mention the basketball goal that's just left out there apparently without any concern. Sure couldn't get away with that around here!

Alas, our time in this unique corner of this state was limited, as we had a 3-day visit scheduled with my Canadian friend over in Ontario.

The morning we left Jamestown, we did have time enough to see Long Point State Park about halfway up the length of Lake Chautauqua, which turned out to a very nice place to visit. The weather was ultra-pleasant, the landscape super-green, and that wonderful New York smell...boy, do I miss it.

This pic describes what I'm talking about:

Oh yeah, the fishin' great here.

Driving north towards mighty Lake Eire, we make one last stop before coming off the plateau, at an out-of-the-way county park (the name eludes me, sorry ), but this is the view that was presented to us upon pulling into the parking lot of this place:

Absolutely an a-mazing view, huh?

I decided to take the Seaway Trail along the lake shore to Buffalo, which took a bit longer, but not by much. I was amazed at how little of the lake shore was developed (and Lake Ontario was even more wild, as I was to find out in a few days), which is a sharp contrast to the over-developed lakeside regions, of which there are few, in the South. Perhaps the Great Lakes are so danged BIG that no amount of development can ever obscure those majestic views of blue.

Wonder what this same view is like in winter? Hopefully I'll be able to find out someday soon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/byrontastic/4744242124/ (broken link)

Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Bud-demp...bud-demp...bud-demp. Mile after mile, we rolled on one of Moses' famous Parkways, me being totally awed by....nothing. A whole lot of nothing, except for trees, grass, and the occasional lake side view the Parkway deemed us, the lonely automobile on this loneliest of New York's highways. A park or launch to the lake, Lake Ontario, that is, passing by every 10 or 15 miles, we didn't see any real traffic until getting very close to Rochester.

Wanna see a pic of what nothing looks like? Here ya go:

The question I kept asking, "Where are the people?"

Yeah, I found some, as we whipped through the city of Rochester towards the Thruway, its surprisingly muscular skyline providing quite a contrast to the miles and miles of nothing we had just experienced.

Merging seamlessly onto the fast-moving backbone of New York, the New York State Thruway, we rolled east under a cloud-studded sky. Oh, the sky in New York...don't get me started on that, please. How do I miss it, so badly, so few days after my return...

When we arrived in Syracuse about 2:30 in the afternoon, the day had become hot, in the mid-80's. But hey, doesn't that beat the ninety-five they were having back in Atlanta? Sure as heck does!

Not to be daunted by a bit of Upstate heat, we shot over to the Carousel Center mall so I could get a city map, and I was quite impressed by the size of this mall, not to mention its abundant use of bright colors. Perhaps this is a response to Syracuse's dark winters? No matter the reason, this mall kicks butt - just check out this awesome atrium:

And no, we do not have malls like this in Atlanta. Ours are way more boring...lol.

After leaving the mall, map in hand, we made our way over to Liverpool and took a stroll along Onondaga Lake Park. I found the park to be very spacious (the sheer abundance of public lakeside lands in New York just boggles me), and I was fascinated by being able to see the relatively distant skyline of Syracuse across the water.

Notice the "seaweed" growing in the otherwise clear water. And the water was hot, too, a real surprise to this southerner who thought northern lakes never got warm. Not so sure I wanna go for a swim though, lol. Hopefully the lake's clean-up is proceeding apace - imagine the kind of recreational opportunities this lake will provide when they've got it as clean as Lake Chautauqua.

After eating at a delightful Mexican place in Liverpool, we made our way back to "motel circle" on the east side of town. A plain-looking place to stay, agreed, but hey, it was cheap.

The next morning, we made our way through town in "rush" hour traffic...does this town ever have a traffic jam? , and moseyed over to the southwestern neighborhoods of town, namely Onondaga Park and Strathmore. I was very taken in by the sheer beauty this area of town offered. Most especially the view from the top of that kidney-shaped reservoir...that was simply amazing! What a great place to go for a walk - and what a great neighborhood to live in....this is my kind of place to the "T"

A couple of pics to demonstrate:

Actually, this 2nd pic is from a park just *east* of downtown, which offered the same kind of views...this just happens to be one of my better shots.

I also loved the way the city slopes up from the relatively low and flat lake plain up into the broad, rolling hills of the central plateau - that was quite evident in the long-range views from the top of Strathmore.

And then on to a quick tour of the city Zoo, which turned out to be a lot more impressive than I had imagined. Along with the extensive indoor exhibits (another response, I suppose, to the cold Syracuse winter - but you know me, I'd rather be outside playing in the snow! ), there was this great Siberian Tiger exhibit:

Aww, isn't he cute???

So little time, so much to do.

Onward to "Skinny-Atlas", otherwise known as Skaneateles. A short 20 minutes later, we arrived at this adorable lakeside town, parked right on the street in front of the lake swimming area and walked over to this pier where I took this pic:

I can't say it enough...I Love New York!

After seeing this:

And this...

...let's just say I was sorely in love at this point.

And how's this from the view of the open-windowed car on this stunner of a summer day, sooooo nice and cool, that sky looking sooo beautiful, that amazing breeze, and that heavenly smell....how can anyone in these United States not like New York? Certainly not me!

I do have to admit that touring downtown Syracuse was a bit of a let down after touring the nearby countryside (but it sure is close!), but then I realized, that with just a few improvements, Syracuse could have a totally awesome downtown. Just get rid of the confusing one-way streets, dump that elevated section of I-81 (which doesn't meet current interstate standards anyhow), and bring in more businesses and festivals, and Syracuse would have a kickin' downtown for sure, summer or winter.

Here's three shots I took while making the one-hour walking tour of the CBD:

(A similar downtown street in the South would look wayyyy scarier than this, believe me. A few "lowbrow" folks around, but nothing like I'm used to seeing in the ATL.)

A relic of an older time I'm glad they're keeping - we tear buildings like this down in Atlanta. I'd love to see a "keystone" skyscraper of about 35-40 stories go up one day in this downtown - that'd do wonders to Syracuse's admittedly "stubby" skyline. I'll certainly keep my fingers crossed, for sure.

And there is this architectural beauty:

Like I mentioned before, this is something we ain't got in the South. And just look at that sky...it's...just....so....pretty....

Lastly, we rode through the northeastern neighborhoods, which had lots of very nice homes, even just a few blocks away from the run-down areas (which did not look scary at all, nothing like down here at all). But the day was already long, and we faced a 11-plus hour drive the next day for a stop in Tennessee to conclude our great road adventure.

I'll be posting my impressions of Pittsburgh and Ontario in the appropriate threads hopefully in a few days, so keep an eye out for those.

But I want to say about New York is that it was all I had imagined it to be, and so much more. This state offered beauty and surprise around almost every corner, I found the people to be open and friendly, and most importantly of all, I found out that deep down in my heart that this is the place I belong. While the city may yet be undecided, the state sure is.

And yeah, it's gonna take a while and quite a bit of effort and planning, but give me enough time and one thing will be certain:

I'm moving to upstate New York.

Last edited by NorthStarDelight; 06-30-2010 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,031 times
Thank you for taking photos that showcase the beauty of Upstate New York. I especially like your pictures of Skaneateles and the Onondaga County Courthouse in downtown Syracuse. I certainly agree with your observation that a 35 to 40 story skyscraper would do wonders for Syracuse's boxy and short skyline. One can only dream. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,798 times
Good stuff Northstar. You have quite a perspective and you certainly don't tour the places most people tour, which makes sense if you're looking at NY as a place to live. I hope you choose Jamestown!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:20 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Regarding those sky observations - growing up in CNY we would call those "clear" days.

No visit to Armory Square?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York