Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times

Advertisements

I dunno why non-smokers feel the need to get on their soap boxes about something that doesn't affect them at all. It's annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:41 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
So, just because there is a cause of lung cancer in non-smokers, we can let smoking off the hook?

Right

For every one person like your friend's mother, many more die from smoking-related complications (not just cancer). If the cancer risk doesn't worry you, the stroke/heart attack/amputations from vascular disease should.

From reading the replies in this thread, maybe NY was right to increase those taxes after all. There should be a tax on stupidity.
Now, now, no need to get rude with your remarks just because the world doesn't agree with you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and although you may call us "stupid", we will be polite enough to ignore it.

As far as NY, the cigarette tax is just icing on the cake for a corrupt and inept governor and government.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Then look at the basic biological research. Smoking hardens arteries, causes cells to become cancerous, destroys normal lung tissue.... seriously the list is endless.

Close your eyes to the truth if you want, but don't sit there and expect anyone who's really looked at the data to believe you when you spout it off on a forum.
AIDS kills people, that doesn't stop people from spreading it; cancer kills children, how do they get it? Come on, what is the REAL issue with you and why are you, a militant non-smoker, on a soap box?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
It's more about the NYS government taxing anything they can get their hands on. They always seem to target specific groups. I love the stupid tax they want to start about the "fat tax" Targeting the sodas and juices. It's what's making people fat. No it's not. Come on. First off-most sodas-12oz-are 120 cal and have about 24 carbs. 24 carbs does NOT make you fat. I could chose to have nothing but a soda for a meal and I'd fall within my carb limits for that meal now wouldn't I? I am a diabetic-so tell me Mr. Taxman-how are you making money off me? I don't use sodas or juices-they raise my blood sugar too high. So does pasta, potatoes, white bread and pizza. Hmm, they have high carbs-think those type foods might increase weight a bit? No-because politicians are totally clueless and who ever lobbies loudest with the most money is the group they follow. Even if that groups is way off base. As a ex-smoker-they aren't getting anything off me there either. So what are you going to tax next that targets a larger group to get more tax money out of us? Maybe light bulbs-make them too expensive because we'll be harming the environment to see at night with non-fluorescent bulbs? Maybe shoes, tires or even maybe bread because oh-that makes you fat? NYS is slowly choking all of us out of here.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
It's more about the NYS government taxing anything they can get their hands on. They always seem to target specific groups. I love the stupid tax they want to start about the "fat tax" Targeting the sodas and juices. It's what's making people fat. No it's not. Come on. First off-most sodas-12oz-are 120 cal and have about 24 carbs. 24 carbs does NOT make you fat. I could chose to have nothing but a soda for a meal and I'd fall within my carb limits for that meal now wouldn't I? I am a diabetic-so tell me Mr. Taxman-how are you making money off me? I don't use sodas or juices-they raise my blood sugar too high. So does pasta, potatoes, white bread and pizza. Hmm, they have high carbs-think those type foods might increase weight a bit? No-because politicians are totally clueless and who ever lobbies loudest with the most money is the group they follow. Even if that groups is way off base. As a ex-smoker-they aren't getting anything off me there either. So what are you going to tax next that targets a larger group to get more tax money out of us? Maybe light bulbs-make them too expensive because we'll be harming the environment to see at night with non-fluorescent bulbs? Maybe shoes, tires or even maybe bread because oh-that makes you fat? NYS is slowly choking all of us out of here.
Let your voice be heard in November and vote all the incumbents out! NY legislature are a group of self serving union bosses.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I dunno why non-smokers feel the need to get on their soap boxes about something that doesn't affect them at all. It's annoying.
You're correct now, but that wasn't the case 5-10 yrs ago when smokers could pollute indoor air everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
AIDS kills people, that doesn't stop people from spreading it; cancer kills children, how do they get it? Come on, what is the REAL issue with you and why are you, a militant non-smoker, on a soap box?
Because AIDS doesn't get spread by cigarette smoke?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:

Because AIDS doesn't get spread by cigarette smoke?
No, by unprotected sex but they aren't taxing THAT.
Why is cigarette smoke such a nemesis for you? Why do you get so angry?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
No, by unprotected sex but they aren't taxing THAT.
Why is cigarette smoke such a nemesis for you? Why do you get so angry?
Because I can choose who I have sex with. I can't choose who smokes up and pollutes my air (although many states have gotten around to changing that by correctly BANNING smoking in public places).

Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Because I can choose who I have sex with. I can't choose who smokes up and pollutes my air (although many states have gotten around to changing that by correctly BANNING smoking in public places).
Gosh, this smoking thing really has your panties in a wad! Relax Chopchop0, life is too short to get so uptight about smoking and second hand smoke.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 56,670 times
Cigarette prices went up, but a pack of Drum (rolling tobacco) is still five bucks in almost any state.

Trying hard to quit before I touch down in NYC... $70+ a week to feed a bad habit is a bit too much for me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York