Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:00 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think it really noble of the government to want everyone to stop smoking. OK, so when they all do, then tell me where is this extra revenue going to come from.

now, if they did this to milk, they would be guaranteed revenue forever since everyone has to have milk.

our system here is really a mess.......
Because the government and state legislature are a bunch of inept self serving people, they continue to add taxes instead of cutting costs. Simple. They lack the ability to think in depth and their lack of understand of cause and effect is pathetic.

Hopefully in November, all incumbents will be voted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,385 times
Border Crossing - post-journal.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Jamestown | Post-Journal

Pennsylvania has also seen increased sales since the tax was raised.

I'm actually finding it easy to quit this time. Thanks New York.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 AM

Hudson Falls man charged with evading cigarette taxes -- Page 1 -- Times Union - Albany NY

Beware those who are attempting to evade this tax. I thought it'd just be a fine, but apparently you can serve time in a State Prison. Wow.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Hudson Falls man charged with evading cigarette taxes -- Page 1 -- Times Union - Albany NY

Beware those who are attempting to evade this tax. I thought it'd just be a fine, but apparently you can serve time in a State Prison. Wow.
I think it's safe to say the volume he was in possesion of exceeds his personal use...

Old 07-24-2010, 07:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,787 times
Quote:
Border Crossing - post-journal.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Jamestown | Post-Journal

Pennsylvania has also seen increased sales since the tax was raised.

I'm actually finding it easy to quit this time. Thanks New York.
I went over to PA over by Milford-not much of a bargain-$7+ a pack. I think I'll try CT next go around and see what they are, then NJ and MA. Being were I am-each of them are within a 1/2-45min drive and I've got business in each of those areas so not just a wasted trip when I go. NYS is going to tax everyone to death-next they'll be adding a extra tax to any sneaker that's larger than a size 13! Just because they can.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I went over to PA over by Milford-not much of a bargain-$7+ a pack. I think I'll try CT next go around and see what they are, then NJ and MA. Being were I am-each of them are within a 1/2-45min drive and I've got business in each of those areas so not just a wasted trip when I go. NYS is going to tax everyone to death-next they'll be adding a extra tax to any sneaker that's larger than a size 13! Just because they can.
We were in MA last week and in Costco I noted the cigarettes were about $63 a carton. NJ is almost as high as NY. I think DE is around $54. VT might be less. Although I quit, I can understand your pain!

Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 PM

The tax has failed to generate much revenue for the state: NY's Higher Cigarette Tax Does Little To Increase Revenue - Gothamist

Despite a 58% tax increase, smokers quitting or finding alternate sources to buy their cigarettes has only increased tax revenue for the state by 5%.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
The tax has failed to generate much revenue for the state: NY's Higher Cigarette Tax Does Little To Increase Revenue - Gothamist

Despite a 58% tax increase, smokers quitting or finding alternate sources to buy their cigarettes has only increased tax revenue for the state by 5%.
yep. New York's state government should look into spending a little money on an economics lesson, namely, the laffer curve.

Laffer curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, NY's government needs plenty of lessons in economics and business creation, but the laffer curve would definitely be a start. It's pretty much why their "fair share" plan of taxing the wealthiest with even higher rates didn't do much to produce more revenue. Next time, they probably shouldn't listen to the CSEA and NYSUT for economic policy.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,425 times
The smokers I know are just stocking up at the reservations. $55 for the most expensive cartons of cigarettes and $20-$30 for the cheapest. I had no idea there were so many places to buy cigarettes, tax free, until this law passed. lol - apparently, there are about a half-dozen native-run stores within 30 minutes of Syracuse... the closest being a mere 10 minutes, at most, at the reservation just south of Nedrow.

The smokers up here are hardly suffering. If anything, they're saving money now that they're refusing to pay state taxes on cigarettes. Instead of buying $7-$8 packs of cigarettes from before (and absolutely would NOT pay the $9+/pack now), the new taxes have pushed them to discover their same brand for $5/pack or lesser brands for $2-3/pack. It's pretty amusing, to say the least. :P

Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM

Yeah, when I was in college no trip to school was complete without a stop at Turning Stone to stock up on cigarettes.

I quit when the new tax was passed. I miss cigarettes dearly and if/when I move to another state will likely start smoking again. But just the thought of $10 a pack is just like symbolic. I refuse to pay that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York