U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 AM

81 posts, read 186,981 times

Advertisements

Dutchess County has voted Republican in presidential elections for years. Why did it go Dem for Obama in 08 for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 03:15 PM

244 posts, read 532,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1478971 View Post
Dutchess County has voted Republican in presidential elections for years. Why did it go Dem for Obama in 08 for?
Because Dutchess County liked Obama?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,433,727 times
Because of all the Westchester & NYC transplants that have moved here in recent years. The demographics of the county have changed greatly in the last 15 years or so. And that there was a big push for the 18-24 year old crowd to vote for Obama-my daughter was sent a LOT of political mailings and facebook messages from Democratic party members during the election. Funny-the other day my daughter and I were talking and she said that a young person, she feels like she was snowballed after how badly the economy and jobs are for her age group-she's 20 and been job hunting since she came back to NY in May to go to our local college again. She says she feels like the government has let her down and her age group-all these promises they fell for and nothing has happened. She also said that she believed all the talk of change for the better. But she then sees that both of us have been out of work and not able to find jobs-even with all these news reports of the improving economy. She's become very angry about how things are and disillusioned with NYS and our federal government since they fed the younger people a line of bull. She has one bright side-she's going into nursing-and that's a field with little to no reductions of people because it's in huge demand because of aging baby boomers.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM

81 posts, read 186,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Because of all the Westchester & NYC transplants that have moved here in recent years. The demographics of the county have changed greatly in the last 15 years or so. And that there was a big push for the 18-24 year old crowd to vote for Obama-my daughter was sent a LOT of political mailings and facebook messages from Democratic party members during the election. Funny-the other day my daughter and I were talking and she said that a young person, she feels like she was snowballed after how badly the economy and jobs are for her age group-she's 20 and been job hunting since she came back to NY in May to go to our local college again. She says she feels like the government has let her down and her age group-all these promises they fell for and nothing has happened. She also said that she believed all the talk of change for the better. But she then sees that both of us have been out of work and not able to find jobs-even with all these news reports of the improving economy. She's become very angry about how things are and disillusioned with NYS and our federal government since they fed the younger people a line of bull. She has one bright side-she's going into nursing-and that's a field with little to no reductions of people because it's in huge demand because of aging baby boomers.
I agree I am disillusioned with the Federal Government. All that talk of change was bull. What change????????!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 12:02 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,099,851 times
Political Correctness.

And he gave you change... just not maybe what you wanted.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Political Correctness.

And he gave you change... just not maybe what you wanted.
Yeah big changes. Both of us unemployed-only one of us gets it-$162 a week. Try living with a family of 5 on that! No one can help us since I didn't have disability insurance working for a school district when I shattered my ankle taking my child to a sleep over. So big changes-Saland told us to sell our home and leave NY-there was NOTHING he could do to help. Ball STILL hasn't replied to my email-never will either I suspect. And why with all the BILLIONS taken out for that stimulus money that's still just sitting there-why isn't every person who's over the age of 18 getting stimulus check for at least $2000? If we'd all get some money-we'd be able to jump start this economy again. No new jobs are to be found-at least not here in Dutchess. I got a interview for a job as a receptionist/medical billier/office manager. Low balled me at $8 a hour for the position. How I am to pay my bills on that or even feed my family on that. Yeah-we've all seen changes-and none of it for the good!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 AM

33 posts, read 155,605 times
Congratulations on getting the job....many in today's world would love to just have a job.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schinz View Post
Congratulations on getting the job....many in today's world would love to just have a job.
I DIDN'T get the job. I am getting $162 a week for unemployment. Nothing else. I had a job and got screwed by my union because they didn't put into the contract if someone because unable to perform their former job-they'd be placed somewhere else in the school district. No, instead they terminated me for health reasons. NYS unemployment tells me IF I get offered that low ball job of $8hr-I am FORCED to accept it because it falls within what I made for a quarter working PART TIME as a school bus driver-there I'd be doing full time. So a cut from $18.63-down to $8. Big difference. And not enough to even cover the expenses to drive there 6-7 days a week. My spouse used all his retirement to fund us through this after his job was gone in June of 08. With NO help from any government agency til this past March when I finally was terminated for health reasons. Wow-$162 to live on-for a family of 5. Just great-I'd rather have a job. It sucks shattering your ankle-it'll cost you more than anything you've ever known. Somedays I don't even want to wake up-because it's more than depressing. It's not right I've lost everything through no fault of mine. So if you think my $162 I should be happy for-I earned every penny I got from the school district and they SHOULD be paying something for getting rid of me after 15 years!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:59 PM

9 posts, read 15,560 times
Who do you think will suitable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York