Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,904 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in the Bronx all our lives. We are now looking to move out of the city to raise our children. We recently saw some property in Newburgh. It's called Sunset Ridge. Has anyone taken a look at the property? I'm a little confused about there being a city of Newburgh (which I haven't read good thing about) and the town of Newburgh (which seems Ok to live). Of course moving to a new place can be a little scary. Just want to try to make a wise choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 129,415 times
I dont know the property you are looking at but overall the town of Newburgh is a nice, safe area with lots of nice neighborhoods and lots of shopping. The city of Newburgh, a few mins away, isnt the greatest. Lately though, some incidents involving gangs in the city of Newburgh (robberies, drugs, gun violence, etc) have spilled out into the town of Newburgh. So I dont know if the police are going to crack down on these people or if the town is going to go downhill. It is a gamble. Also, there is only one Newburgh school district so your kids will end up going to high school in the city of Newburgh. If you can afford to look in other towns, look into Montgomery (Valley Central Schools), Cornwall, Washingtonville, Hamlet of Wallkill (Ulster Co but directly north of Newburgh). These are some towns nearby to Newburgh. Further west, along Rte 17, are Goshen, Chester, Monroe, Harriman, Pine Bush, and Minisink Schools. In Minisink there is some more affordable property in Otisville and Mount Hope. I would stay away from the city of Middletown for the same reasons you want to stay away from the city of Newburgh.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Do a search on this thread about the folowing, "newburgh, middletown, beacon"...

I wouldnt reccomend it AT ALL. There is a reason the homes are cheaper.

My dh was brought up in bronx...and wouldnt even consider these areas as a place for kids. The test scores are not even impressive..dismal at best.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Don't move into the city of Newburgh, it will be like you never left the Bronx.

Town of Newburgh I hear is okay. Can't say more then that.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:04 PM

9 posts, read 60,039 times
HI. I live in the hamlet of Wallkill. You can live in the Town of Newburgh but have Wallkill schools. However, you will pay higher taxes than if you live in Ulster County. Stay far away from the Newburgh district though---it is nothing but trouble as the other posters have stated. We have lived here for 9 yrs. and it is very safe. However, we moved here bc it was where we could afford a house, and the schools were rated good. Not bc we were looking for some simpler way of life, or whatever reason that I just don't get that makes people up here afraid of development. I can't wrap my mind around why people would oppose the building of a new shopping center or grocery store if it is going to make your life more convenient. We have to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest JC Penney, Best Buy, etc. Newburgh has some things now---alot more than they did 9 yrs. ago--and the town wants to build and allow more businesses in, but the people keep fighting it. It would create jobs and make things more convenient for so many people--I don't know why they don't see it. And bc of the influx of people to the area within the last 6 yrs. or so, these things are desperately needed. Otherwise you have the entire population descending upon 2 central locations--Poughkeepsie and Middletown--oh and Monroe--they have stuff now. Traffic anymore to go out to those areas to shop is ridiculous. I told my husband the other day I want to move to CT. Anyhow, good luck with your move. If I was you I would try to look at the Minisink school district. I think that is what we are going to do. You're closer to Middletown out that way---so closer to shopping and the trains--yet, you're not in the Middletown schools--and there is quite alot of housing available out that way. Sorry I am so jaded, but the people in Wallkill really irritate me.

Mary

Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM

37 posts, read 220,161 times
Well, if you are from the BX then you will feel right at home with the city of Newburgh. No offense. But, I would not recommend moving there. It is the GHETTO, no joke!!!!! Roads are broken--all busted up and looks like a ghost town with every other building boarded up. People call it Harlem, (b4 they cleaned up Harlem.) Very ugly and nasty. Town of Newburgh nice. Building many new developments and shopping galore. But, I think the school district may be the same. So, check into that first. For your sake, I hope not!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
I think Connecticut would be a wise alternative

Old 12-02-2007, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,391 times
I have actually visited Sunset Ridge and am thinking of moving there. It is actually located in a better part of the city than the parts others on this forum and others have commented on(Check the map of where it is located for yourself). Me and my wife have visited the city plenty of times and have encountered no problems while WALKING around.However to be honest we were only walking around the waterfront and the surrounding areas of Sunset Ridge. Like most cities Newburgh has some bad areas and some good areas. You should take a trip to Sunset Ridge and see for yourself.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewburgher View Post
I have actually visited Sunset Ridge and am thinking of moving there. It is actually located in a better part of the city than the parts others on this forum and others have commented on(Check the map of where it is located for yourself). Me and my wife have visited the city plenty of times and have encountered no problems while WALKING around.However to be honest we were only walking around the waterfront and the surrounding areas of Sunset Ridge. Like most cities Newburgh has some bad areas and some good areas. You should take a trip to Sunset Ridge and see for yourself.
Great honest feedback NNB. Hard to find around here.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:50 AM

289 posts, read 746,120 times
I Don't Know What You What To Spend I Would Look In Fishkill And East Fishkill ,wappinger And Wappinger Fall's It's Nice Around These Town's And The Highway's Are Near By.good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York