Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 PM

140 posts, read 730,250 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear that you are open-minded about Towanda, PA., and taking my too many years' experience with snow seriously(weather in that region was primary cause for our re-location/retirement to Ocala, Florida).

Regarding activities for your children: the public schools do have all those sports activities for your children. Of course, they will be on a much smaller scale than Houston, but on the upside of this is the fact that you and your family will get to know the other teams' players and their families, and actually become friends with them(if that is something you value).

Regarding culture shock and cultural opportunities: depending upon what you are looking for, nearby towns such as Corning(home of CorningGlass); Elmira( Elmira College and home of Mark Twain); Watkins Glen(site of some NASCAR and other types of auto racing); Binghamton; and of course, Ithaca, all provide varying degrees of cultural opportunities. I don't recall Towanda as having many cultural activities, and for this, you may have to drive a ways...probably given the ease of traffic and transportation in this area, in general, this type of drive will be a lot easier than coping with Houston's traffic.

Ithaca is a cultural dream as far as cultural opportunities, with it being home of Cornell University, and Ithaca College. You name it, Ithaca has it(cultural opportunities speaking). From all kinds of musical and stage performances; to children's science and sports programs; the arts; beautiful Cayuga Lake for summer homes, boating; paleotology institutes; some of the finest dining experiences; state parks; wine trails; on and on and on. Ithaca is about an hours' drive from Towanda and well worth the trip, if nothing more than to just go there. Oh! while there, stop at the Wegmans grocery store for a truly unique grocery, etc., shopping experience.

There are certainly many other cultural opportunities surrounding Towanda...I've named just the most popular sites.

Oh, and lastly, don't forget the fabulous Guthrie Clinic/Robert Packer Hospital, in Sayre, PA, for the highest quality medical care. They also have off-site clinics spread into many of the cities mentioned above. Look them up on the InterNet for further info.

Glad to be of assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,536,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenwasp21 View Post
Wow, thank you all so much for the information. So helpful!! Hartwick, you have my word that I will look into Towanda!! I do not want to make it harder for my husband to come home at night, and I just don't think I will get the reality of snow until I live it. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen snow, and it was just covering the ground....

As for my children, I DO need activities for them... gymnastics, soccer, any pro-active hobby that they will enjoy is super important to me. Are there those types of things available in these small towns?!

The culture shock concerns me as well. We are a kind, young, and very cultured family, with very open minds!! My ideas of small towns do not have these kinds of people in them?! Please tell me I will be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks again for all the info!!!
We moved from Austin to a small town in Northern NY. The area is very similar to the area around Towanda. Very secluded, very slow moving & very boring (think small town East Texas about 2 hours north of Houston but replace the heat & humidity with snow ). It was a huge culture shock. The one advantage NNY had to the northern tier of PA was that we were maybe an hour and a half from Montreal, under 2 from Ottawa & Burlington, VT. The town we lived in had activities for the kids (sports, ice skating & dance class but I don't believe they had any gymnastics) though that town was quite a bit bigger than Towanda (about 15K compared to Towanda's 3K). By the end of the first month we knew we had to move to somewhere bigger or we would lose our minds. We just weren't small town people. We got lucky & both found jobs in the Buffalo area but if we didn't I was honestly ready to move back to Austin (because I knew I could get my old position back).

Im not trying to scare you but small town living is very different & if you have always lived in a city, love city life & all it offers this is likely going to be a tough transition.

On the positive side, that area of PA & NY is beautiful. Mountains, lakes & woodlands. If you like the outdoors you'd have a hard time finding a better area that offers so much in that regard yet is as inexpensive to live in.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:50 AM

92,695 posts, read 122,997,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenwasp21 View Post
Wow, thank you all so much for the information. So helpful!! Hartwick, you have my word that I will look into Towanda!! I do not want to make it harder for my husband to come home at night, and I just don't think I will get the reality of snow until I live it. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen snow, and it was just covering the ground....

As for my children, I DO need activities for them... gymnastics, soccer, any pro-active hobby that they will enjoy is super important to me. Are there those types of things available in these small towns?!

The culture shock concerns me as well. We are a kind, young, and very cultured family, with very open minds!! My ideas of small towns do not have these kinds of people in them?! Please tell me I will be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks again for all the info!!!
I think if a smaller community has a college or is relatively "diverse", you should be fine. Mansfield looks like a good choice that is within a reasonable drive. Elmira and the immediate area would probably. Same with Corning. It sounds like Ithaca would have been perfect, but it is a bit further than the places mentioned. It is still close enough to visit regularly though.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,384 times
Talking Checking up!

Hi I am from a town north of Houston called Conroe. My husband also took a job in Towanda recently. I was wondering if you had moved yet and if you found anything. I am thinking about moving up there as well. We have a 4 yr old and I am 25 and my husband is 24. Just wondering how you like it and give the inside opinion. I think we relate alot with age and job status and things. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York