Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM

9 posts, read 44,834 times

Advertisements

My husband is active duty Air Force and we have a few options on our assignment list (few being to key word). Newburgh, NY is one of those options. I've read a TON of posts about Newburgh and was going to base my opinion off of those but figured I would tell my situation and see if anyone has any other opinions. Simply put, we have a son under the age of 1 and a couple of dogs. My husband is originally from CT and loves small towns in the NE. I'm a Florida girl (although we currently live in Texas) and am nervous for the winters but am ready for something different. We just want a nice community, SAFE - a great place to raise our family. Night life isn't of great importance to us and neither are schools because we will only be relocating for 3 years (and our son won't be in school by that point). We like being outdoors and get involved in recreational sports. There are a lot of negative opinions about Newburgh but we might not have a choice. My husband doesn't mind commuting and I do work (in the administrative, communications, real estate fields) so if Newburgh is not a good option for us to move to - can you give me any other places that fit what we are looking for within a 30-45 minute drive to Newburgh?? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times
My good friend is part of the 105th over there. He lives near me across the river here in Dutchess County-I'd suggest you look over here for places to live. It's only about 11 miles over to the base by going I-84 across the Beacon-Newburgh Bridge. I go over there to the base quite a bit and it's a easy ride(it's also where Stewart International Airport is).

Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about the Cornwall School District area or possibly the Highland Falls area, which is close to West Point? Valley Central might be another area/school district to look at as well.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 PM

197 posts, read 636,180 times
She doesnt care about school district, But I would stay the hell out of any part of the city of newburgh. Look into the Town of newburgh, or new windsor. Newburgh is one of if not the roughest place in the whole state. Most years there is over 10 murders, and numerous go missing, dont sound too bad, its a city of less than 30,000! Newburghs murder rate is 7 times New York City's. 7 TIMES!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:19 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times
Fighting Violent Gangs in Newburgh, NY « Liveshots

Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 44,834 times
Thanks for the advice. I definitely think we would move to Dutchess county if we get stationed there. Unfortunately my husband's office would be in Newburgh so there's no completely avoiding the area. Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife0315 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I definitely think we would move to Dutchess county if we get stationed there. Unfortunately my husband's office would be in Newburgh so there's no completely avoiding the area. Thanks again!

AFwife, take a breather. You're in a good spot. We've know a ton of military families throughout our many years since we've lived in the CITY of Newburgh (yes, there's definitely serious issues BUT also MOST folks here are good folks). The last 2 years have not been good for this city but 10 per year, every year is BS. When I moved here in 06' there was 1 murder, 2 in '07 and 7 in 08', so it's a problem. The spike was really shocking to us to be honest. And the economy and lost of jobs doesnt help.

If you're going to take aim at Newburgh, the town and New Windsor may not have the same city issues BUTthey carry the same stigma. ALL GO TO THE SAME SCHOOL DISTRICT, yet no one mentions that? The 'town' is only an 'upgrade' for the folks that have never left the Hudson Valley for the most part but as an outsider who moved in from Manhattan, it's a joke that 'they' try to make such a seperation...again, I'll repeat ALL GO TO THE SAME SCHOOL DISTRICT. I would say Cornwall is definitely a big step up.

So here're the good news for you, the military families I know literally have GORGEOUS new homes (2-3 yrs old) built behind Steward Airport right out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Isnt that an option?

Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,368 times
Hmmm, Newburgh and New Windsor residents don't necessarily go to the same school district. Some parts of New Windsor are in the Washingtonville School district, such as the Beaver Dam Lake area. (Also part of BDL is in the Cornwall School District) It's about a 15 minute ride to downtown Newburgh, five minutes to Stewart Airport, and there is a train station at Salisbury Mills to NYC (via NJ). Property taxes are outrageous though.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
I live in Montgomery NY, 10 miles West of Newburgh. I have lived here my entire life (19 years). I have enjoyed growing up here - a quaint village in the foothills of the Catskills that is only a 1 hour and 35 minutes away from Midtown Manhattan. I have spent a lot of time in Middletown and Newburgh, Orange County's two cities. As previous posters have mentioned, it would be in your best interest to stay out of The City of Newburgh. There are nice places to live in the Western part of Newburgh, on the other side of Route 300.

Other than the cities of Middletown and Newburgh, you can't really go wrong in Orange County (perhaps with the exception of Walden). Montgomery, Maybrook, Campbell Hall, Washingtonville, New Windsor, Cornwall, Monroe, Tuxedo, Pine Bush, Bullville, Circleville, Florida, Warwick, and Goshen are all short rides to Newburgh and have relatively easy access to NYC.

Come check out the village / town of Montgomery!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
I live in Montgomery NY, 10 miles West of Newburgh. I have lived here my entire life (19 years). I have enjoyed growing up here - a quaint village in the foothills of the Catskills that is only a 1 hour and 35 minutes away from Midtown Manhattan. I have spent a lot of time in Middletown and Newburgh, Orange County's two cities. As previous posters have mentioned, it would be in your best interest to stay out of The City of Newburgh. There are nice places to live in the Western part of Newburgh, on the other side of Route 300.

Other than the cities of Middletown and Newburgh, you can't really go wrong in Orange County (perhaps with the exception of Walden). Montgomery, Maybrook, Campbell Hall, Washingtonville, New Windsor, Cornwall, Monroe, Tuxedo, Pine Bush, Bullville, Circleville, Florida, Warwick, and Goshen are all short rides to Newburgh and have relatively easy access to NYC.

Come check out the village / town of Montgomery!
What's wrong with Walden? Forgot Port Jervis, but it is too far from where the OP is looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York