Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2006, 06:16 AM

31 posts, read 107,163 times

Advertisements

Hey, everybody.

My wife and I travel a lot, trying to move "blindly" to a new area for a couple of years, preferable a somewhat rural area with ample amounts of PEACE AND QUIET, SPACE BETWEEN YOU AND THE NEIGHBORS, and COOL, FRIENDLY PEOPLE... and low COST OF LIVING, CRIME, NOISE, POLUTION, etc...

And our next movie could very well be to upsate NEW YORK and one of these three counties:

1. Yates County
2. Madison County
3. Ontario County

Does anybody have a suggestion? And if so, do you have a particular city, town, or village in those counties that you think would be best for us?

We've lived in some great places, and our favorite so far has been Point Roberts, Washington - but they had a housing shortage there and we never really found a place that was right - although we loved the area and the people. Now we're on the island of Gozo in the Mediterranean, but this place is nothing like it's described on the net, and we're ready to roll...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

GH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Ontario county...... without even giving it a second thought, would be my suggestion. It was just ranked the best rural county in America to live. Canandaigua or any of the small villages around it that are right on Canandaigua lake (one of the finger lakes), sound like what you are looking fore. Here is a link to the page from the agency that ranked it the best place in America to live;

http://www.progressivefarmer.com/far...01ontario.html

Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 PM

31 posts, read 107,163 times
Default thanks! more info...

wow.. thanks for your time and energy, seriously...

hoping you can continue to lend a hand, too, as well as anybody else....

some more info about us, which might enlighten our situation a bit and help:

i'm 45 and my wife 35, i'm in the film business (actor, director), she a fashion designer. we move around the world a bit, looking for new, cool places that will inform our art, so to speak... but our preference is for small town life, where we get to know the people well and make friends. then we usually try and shoot a film there using locals (low budget indies that i make with my acting money). and my wife's business is run thru a website, like mine, so it doesn't matter where we are really...

but like i said before, PEACE AND QUIET AND A LOW CRIME LEVEL are very very important (which it seems is all there).

and i also have to think about low cost of living, because, since we now spend my own money on our films, well, we have to budget differently these days, and stretch things out more than before. (not complaining, as i love to direect far more than act).

ANYWAY, i would love to your ranking for towns there in ONTARIO COUNTY and then i'll start chopping wood...

and yes, i did see that PROGRESSIVE FARMING issue, and that has us worried, as the last palce we lived (before here on gozo) was point roberts, washington, and after it was featured in national geographic as "almost heaven, almost canada," the place really changed... people flocked there, prices rose, and there ended up ebing a housing shortagee... DO you think the same thing could haappen there now...? is it getting a lot of press? think it'll soon get invaded? etc.

look forward to hearing back from you soon. feel free to write me directly at: larry@holdenautomotive.com.

(AS WELL AS ANYBODY ELSE THAT WOULD BE KIND ENOUGH TO HELP.)

THANKS!!!!! LH. ps: we're also considering the midwest and west... but i think upstate new york would be best for us... hope you share some great news and make ourr decision even easier than you already have with your reply...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York